Options for LA

Hello West Coast people! I figured asking you experts would get me some good options and some great advice.

I am on Grand in October with a stop in LA. I would like to see the Santa Monica pier and Venice beach. I'm not sure where the ship docks and would like some options on transportation to get to these places. Is there anything else in that vicinity that I should plan on? I appreciate any and all comments.

Thanks!

Would have to Uber/Lyft/taxi over. Could rent a car but you'll need transportation to most rental agencies.

If you want to stay close to port San Pedro has the USS Iowa a few berths over and some shoreline village.

Long Beach has the Queen Mary next door. Could take the free Passport bus to the Aquarium of the Pacific.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As this is LA , I would suggest renting a car. You should port in Long Beach so look for an agency near there. There should be plenty of time to see what you mentioned and perhaps elsewhere on the west side as well. LA traffic can be brutal but you staying west so.not in the absolute worst IMO.

>>>I am on Grand in October with a stop in LA<<<

What is "Grand"? Which cruise line? Carnival docks in Long Beach, all other cruise lines use the World Cruise Center in San Pedro. Which port are you docking in?

The OP is doing a California coastal on the Grand Princess. While

Princess uses LA (San Pedro) for embarkation it uses Long Beach when stopping for a port day in LA. This is better as there are more services and things to do near the LB dock.

As this is LA , I would suggest renting a car. You should port in Long Beach so look for an agency near there. There should be plenty of time to see what you mentioned and perhaps elsewhere on the west side as well. LA traffic can be brutal but you staying west so.not in the absolute worst IMO.

We have booked a rental car for when we stop in LA on another Princess ship the same month. All indications (at least on the Princess website) point to Long Beach for both our itineraries. There are a few major car rental companies near-ish the port. From the best I can tell not really walking distance, but I am hoping the (free? or cheap?) town shuttle we saw a couple of years ago is still around. If not, I am sure a cab will get us there fine.

Okay... got it. The Grand Princess does dock in Long Beach. You can use the Passport Bus (click on link) to go into Downtown Long Beach to pick up a car. Hertz, Avis and Enterprise all have Downtown locations.

That is the BEST way to get to Santa Monica & Venice Beach and other LA sights.

If you don't want to drive, Long Beach has some things worth seeing in the immediate area.