Better Choice for Koala and Kangaroo

deec

Territory Wildlife Park Tour from Darwin

OR

Serendip Open Range Sanctuary from Melbourne

any thoughts on which would provide the better experience to enjoy Australian animals in a non ZOO like setting?

I'd opt for Healsville Sanctuary out of Melbounre. There are plenty of excursions that include the sanctuary, the Dandenongs and the Puffing Billy.

If you're going to Brisbane the Koala Sanctuary is wonderful. You get to cuddle a koala, feed the kangaroos and see heaps of other Assie creatures including birds, snakes and wombats.

Berry Springs is lovely but doesn't have a lot of animals, at least it didn't last time I was there. Besides, there are too many other great experiences to be had in Darwin that you can't get anywhere else in Australia.

we are only in Darwin in am for 1/2 day ...any suggestions for what is specific to Darwin "too many other great experiences to be had in Darwin that you can't get anywhere else in Australia. "

ship is offering a basic city tour

a visit to Territory Wildlife Park /is this the same as Berry Springs

croc adventure

Edited by deec
addition

Going by the website, yes it is the same. It is a zoo of sorts. You will not see koalas in the Northern Territory in the wild as it is not their habitat. Additionally, it is very hard to see them anywhere other than a zoo. They are very shy and are only commonly visible in a few places. I have only ever seen one or two koalas in the wild in my life and we travel a lot.

Kangaroos are a different matter (we have had bad damage to our cars twice) But I think in the Territory you see wallabies, not kangaroos. You certainly do not see them hopping down the streets of the cities and I if you want to be sure of seeing them you do need to go to some type of a zoo or wildlife park.

With a half day stop in Darwin there is not too much you can do. Places like Kakadu are quite some distance.

Yes Berry Springs If the ship is offering the Adelaide River jumping crocodiles that's a very NT experience and you get to see a bit of the landscape, birdlife and wildlife. Are they offering Litchfield? It's beautiful at the right time of year. Darwin is indeed different to anywhere else in Australia. A stroll around the city is full of interest. There's the whole coastal park, the Marina, the cannons and tunnels from WW2, the Museum with it's great Cyclone Tracey exhibit along with great Aboriginal artifacts and history. Parliament house has a lot of war history as well as being a great building with stunning views. Next door is the Supreme Court with it's incredible Milky Way mural and the small but extremely interesting China Town is also worthy of a visit. I'd definitely save the wildlife for Brisbane or Melbourne but go to Healsville, not the Serendip one you mentioned.

thank you both for your help. I am disappointed that Litchfield will not be offered as we are not in port long enough. So perhaps we will opt for the city tour as it sounds as if Darwin is unique.

I'd say Featherdale is the better experience with koalas as their Koala Enclosure is open to the public all day and you can take photos next the koala. (But there is no koala holding allowed at either place.)

The downside is that Featherdale is a bit of a schlep via public transport (over 1 hour) and a taxi would be expensive. Taronga, on the other hand, is an easy an scenic ride via ferry from Circular Quay.

• 2 weeks later...
I'd say Featherdale is the better experience with koalas as their Koala Enclosure is open to the public all day and you can take photos next the koala. (But there is no koala holding allowed at either place.)

The downside is that Featherdale is a bit of a schlep via public transport (over 1 hour) and a taxi would be expensive. Taronga, on the other hand, is an easy an scenic ride via ferry from Circular Quay.

Are costs comparable? Public transport to Featherdale vs ferry to Taronga?

Are costs comparable? Public transport to Featherdale vs ferry to Taronga?

The costs are comparable with the ferry from Circular Quay to Taronga costing just under $6 and the series of buses from Circular Quay to Featherdale costing just over $6. But the ferry to Taronga takes just about 20 minutes while the buses to Featherdale take 90 minutes.

For details, see: https://transportnsw.info/#/

My thoughts on Taronga and koalas. We were there in April and after paying a significant entrance fee, to see the Koalas it was another $20 or so per person. Left a bad taste, some might consider it a ripoff.

Going to a zoo, one expects to all animals there without extra fees.

Don't forget the following warning if wanting to hold or cuddle a koala in Australia

Overseas visitors to Australia love to cuddle or/and hold Koala as they seem to be such cute little animals and everyone loves them.

Can I just say if you are fortunate to be able to hold a Koala during your visit downunder then please take the following precautions:

A Wear a full raincoat that covers you from head to toe

B If A above not applicable, then try a plastic sheet or poncho from a $2 shop.

WHY is it necessary to take these precautions???

The answer is simple - the little cute Koala will pee all over you - and I can tell you from experience that your Husband/Wife/friend on the cruise will not want to be within 10 meters of you for the rest of the day or perhaps even the next several days?

Even a Australian Government minister some years ago experienced what I have outlined above - I think it cost him his re-election.

But even worse - the bus driver who took you on the tour will probably not let on on his bus for the trip back to the ship - imagine that!!!

Is it that bad - yes it is.

You may even be denied entry back on the ship and even if you do get aboard, your cabin steward will probably call the Head Housekeeper and have you put in quarantine for a week.

If you want to cuddle a Koala then follow the advice in A and B above.

we are only in Darwin in am for 1/2 day ...any suggestions for what is specific to Darwin "too many other great experiences to be had in Darwin that you can't get anywhere else in Australia. "

ship is offering a basic city tour

a visit to Territory Wildlife Park /is this the same as Berry Springs

croc adventure

If only in Darwin for 1/2 day, here is a suggestion for you.

For example, if you google Trip Advisor Darwin you will see the 10th most rated thing to do in Darwin is to visit the Crocosaurus Cove and you can even swim in the Cage of Death at the facility. To swim you will need to book online -

This is located in Darwin and you can walk to it from the ship.

Essentially, you will be put into a big big glass tube with water. the tube will be lowered into a big pool and huge crocs then released to swim around you in a really up and close personal way - bet you cannot do that anywhere else in the world??? Just have a look at the photos - OMG

A few years ago the glass tube did crack but fortunately the tourist was extracted from the water before....... well I leave that up to your imagination.

The poor tourist had to get to the toilet immediately afterwards for a change of swimming trunks - if you get my drift. To much information you say - well I like to ensure you are well and fully informed.

Fortunately no further incidents have occurred as I understand the glass tube has been reinforced and besides they would have very good indemnity insurance to cover medical/hospital bills, body bags and repatriation back to your home country.

Now here is a good tip - whilst visiting the Crocosaurus Cove - should you hear a large "Crack", it is unlikely to be the glass tube breaking again - but the famous Australian Stockman "cracking" his whip and driving thousands of cattle and buffalo up the main street of Darwin for loading onto a boat for export to China.

This would be an amazing sight to see, it's free of charge but I do recommend you view it from behind a tree or up on top of a nearby building - stampedes can happen.

Should the cattle drive not take place during your visit (not done every day) don't dispair. You can see the actual event recreated in that famous Australian movie "Australia" starring Hugh Jackman and the ex Mr's Tom Cruise - Australia's own - Miss Nicole Kidman (not sure why she is still a Miss, she has had been married twice to my knowlege!!!)

The movie "Australia" was a huge international hit worldwide a few years ago and should be on every visitors must see movie list before coming to Australia.

You could fit this in as well as a couple of other attractions in Darwin - the museum and Art Gallery is very good and the coffee in the cafe - delicious.

Don't forget the following warning if wanting to hold or cuddle a koala in Australia

Overseas visitors to Australia love to cuddle or/and hold Koala as they seem to be such cute little animals and everyone loves them.

Can I just say if you are fortunate to be able to hold a Koala during your visit downunder then please take the following precautions:

A Wear a full raincoat that covers you from head to toe

B If A above not applicable, then try a plastic sheet or poncho from a $2 shop.

WHY is it necessary to take these precautions???

The answer is simple - the little cute Koala will pee all over you - and I can tell you from experience that your Husband/Wife/friend on the cruise will not want to be within 10 meters of you for the rest of the day or perhaps even the next several days?

Even a Australian Government minister some years ago experienced what I have outlined above - I think it cost him his re-election.

But even worse - the bus driver who took you on the tour will probably not let on on his bus for the trip back to the ship - imagine that!!!

Is it that bad - yes it is.

You may even be denied entry back on the ship and even if you do get aboard, your cabin steward will probably call the Head Housekeeper and have you put in quarantine for a week.

If you want to cuddle a Koala then follow the advice in A and B above.

Just be aware that only a couple of Australian states allow koalas to be held or cuddled and New South Wales (Sydney) is NOT one of them. You can stand next to a koala at Featherdale for a photo op (no charge to do this), but you won't be allowed to hold it. And as Ken stated in Post #13, they charge for access to the koalas at Taronga (but you should be able to see them at a distance--we did.)