Portland Maine lighthouse question

Sea Legs

Has anyone taken a taxi from the ship to the Portland Head Light lighthouse? If so, when your visit is complete, are there any taxis available to return you to port? Also, cost? Thinking of just doing the lighthouse and lunch on the waterfront which is walkable from the pier and am trying to decide if it is worth it to try to rent a car for the day.

I haven't been to the lighthouse, but I do spend a decent amount of time in Portland, and it's a great city. Very walkable, lots to see. How much time do you have there? Lots of walking parks along the waterfront.

Depending on the day of the week you're in Portland, renting a car may be difficult. The only one that will pick you up at the ship is Enterprise, and they close at noon on Saturday, so returning it in the afternoon is a problem. Otherwise, you'll have to taxi to the airport to pick up and return the car. As mentioned, uber or lyft are available. It is very possible to see the Head Light and tour the Old Port. You may actually get a better view of the Light if you get up early arriving in port, as the ships sail right past it, unique perspective.

For lunch in the Old Port/waterfront area, I would stay away from DeMillo's (it's just not that great, hasn't kept up with the foodie revolution). My choices for lunch are: Oyster Room at Boone's (combining Harding Lee Smith's food with the classic Portland waterfront location), the Grill Room (another Harding Lee Smith eatery), Bull Feeney's, Duckfat, Nosh, or the King's Head. Nosh and Duckfat are a little away from the waterfront, but the bacon dusted fries at Nosh, and the fries cooked in duckfat either alone or in poutine, and the duck confit sandwich at Duckfat are not to be missed (not to mention Duckfat's milk shakes). Eventide is open for lunch, haven't been there. Unfortunately, most of the best places in town aren't open for lunch, so unless the ship sails late from Portland, you'll miss out on the best (though the Grill Room and Boone's are right up there at the top).

We've used Uber in Portland with good success. That would likely be easier than a cab. I agree with chengkp75 that you may get a better view of Portland head from the ship as you enter the harbor. Unless you are a huge fan of lighthouses there's not much to see at the head light and it's a trip to get out there. I also second staying away from DiMillo's. Our favorite place to eat in Old Port is Flatbread. The pizza is terrific and if you score a seat on the patio you can watch the ferries come and go.

Has anyone taken a taxi from the ship to the Portland Head Light lighthouse? If so, when your visit is complete, are there any taxis available to return you to port? Also, cost? Thinking of just doing the lighthouse and lunch on the waterfront which is walkable from the pier and am trying to decide if it is worth it to try to rent a car for the day.

When we were in Portland last spring, we had a fantastic meal at the Porthole Restaurant. It's right on the pier and they serve B,L & D. They offer a twin lobster meal for $24.95 and it was great. Live music some nights, but that doesn't start until 6pm.

There is a second lighthouse near Portland on Cape Elizabeth not far from the port. It is called Two Lights and there is a state park there. The second lighthouse is still there but not operational and it is not in the state park. It is in a neighborhood (end of Two Lights Rd) across from a scenic rocky breakwater which you can explore. There is also a take out restaurant (The Lobster Shack) that has excellent fresh Maine seafood and also a gift shop.

There is a second lighthouse near Portland on Cape Elizabeth not far from the port. It is called Two Lights and there is a state park there. The second lighthouse is still there but not operational and it is not in the state park. It is in a neighborhood (end of Two Lights Rd) across from a scenic rocky breakwater which you can explore. There is also a take out restaurant (The Lobster Shack) that has excellent fresh Maine seafood and also a gift shop.

Two Lights is another 4 miles or so from the Head Light (so, nearly twice the distance), and personally, I would not pay the inflated prices that the Lobster Shack has charged for many years.