Curbs, Bumps & Holes OH MY !!!!!

motherchic

I own a small electric wheelchair. Its perfect for flat surfaces, light weight great for travel.

What its not good for AT ALL was traveling in Europe. It would tip forward or backwards going over curbs etc.......

1) I want a scooter that I don't need a lift for

2) can check it at the gate

3) won't tip over

4) needs to handle weight

PLEASE Any recommendations?

What you are hoping to obtain may not exist. One operates a small mobility on the same principal as a bicycle. In other words, it is a balancing act. The majority of us using small mobility scooters weigh more than the scooter, thus we are top heavy. A person has to compensate for any degree of angle. The four wheel scooters are safer than the three wheel.

With all the scooters that disassemble, I would suggest that you look at one where the heaviest piece is close to the maximum weight you can handle.

I certainly hope that you are able to find a scooter that you will feel more comfortable with.

Good luck in your search,

Betty

Go to a medical supply store where you can "road test" them all and decide with the help of the experts whats right for you. I doubt that ALL the requirement you want are available in a unit but go shopping and see. I found when I bought my scooter that the prices were the same from the medical supply store as on the internet, I prefer having someone close to go back to if I have a problem.

• 3 weeks later...
I own a small electric wheelchair. Its perfect for flat surfaces, light weight great for travel.

What its not good for AT ALL was traveling in Europe. It would tip forward or backwards going over curbs etc.......

3) won't tip over

I have a Travelscoot and it meets most of your requirements but it will tip over on slanted ground. You can check it out on their web site and watch the video and read the reviews and hopefully you can test drive it in your area if someone sells it where you live.

We've seen a video for a product called GeoCruiser. Haven't tried it. It might meet your needs.

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

Thank you so much for responding to my question. Sadly the Geocruiser tips. I was hoping to find one for traveling in Europe where streets are not handicap accessible. Ive decided easily carted chairs don't exist. they all seem to need to be bigger and heavier to go over curbs etc......:(

3) won't tip over

Suggest you look at the Shoprider Hero. It is compact, inexpensive and purchasable on the internet.

The centre of Barcelona is almost flat. I took my scooter and went almost everywhere, especially along the Ramblas and the long promenade. The metro is also accessible, but didn't use it.

Using toilets in bars and restaurants can sometimes be a challenge as they are often downstairs, but getting around is easy.

It has become more accessible since they hosted the parolympics.

Sent from my iPad using Forums