Butler

Hope the spanakopita is still on the butler menu!

TC2 - On our next cruise on the Explorer we will have the option of a cocktail party for eight in our suite. Will our butler be dedicated to our suite for that time (and would you know how long?). Will there be another butler covering for him in his usual suites?

How exciting for you! We have had different scenarios for our cocktail parties. Usually the butler is "almost" dedicated to our suite (he comes and goes). Sometimes there has been another butler helping. We have had two parties on the Explorer - the butler during our last one stayed pretty much the whole time. The parties are the one over the top event that we love because they set up everything - do the serving - answer the door and when we're done - we go off to dinner and return to a perfectly made up suite.

We have also had dinner in our suite with another couple where the butler did the serving - before and during dinner. The last time we stayed so late that we ended up telling him not to bother with removing everything -- just do it in the morning.

The cocktail parties are generally around an hour but could go an hour and a half. The hard part for us was letting him know what we wanted to have served. I basically picked hot and cold canapés, shrimp (always shrimp and/or crab claws), cheeses and last time has prosciutto with melon.

Enjoy every moment of your time on Explorer and at your party!:D

TC2, the suite parties sound great---this is one of the reasons we cruise. We've don't them on "O" and looking forward to a few on Regent. Thanks for the update. Rick

Why don't you take advantage of it on Oceania? We had a dinner in our suite and invited another passenger (when we were in a Vista suite on the Riviera) and the butler was amazing. Since the Vista suite is at the front of the ship and the restaurants are in the back, he had to go back and forth several times. By the end of the meal we begged him to please sit down (he did - probably against the rules but we had a lovely talk).

P.S. Passengers not in butler suites can request snacks from room service. Since they have them in stock, I can't imagine them not providing it for you.

TC2, Opp's, I meant to say we've done them on "O". The Owners suite is great-really big in size. On "O" we go with the pay menu-it's better than just having the Butler bring in food.

Not familiar with a "pay menu" on Oceania. What extras does it give you?

Peggy, :D ;p

I am with TC. I don't know what a "pay menu" is. We always have an OS, but we like to be around living people, so we go wherever. I know you can have a lot of "stuff" delivered to the suite, but after 11 or more cruises on O, I would like someone to fill me in????

This is on "O", in the desk they have a menu for ptv parties-each item had aprice. You pay per item. We asked for a few ideas from the Chef. I can't recall everything but what I do recall we did all bite size:Colossal Shrimp (not bite size), Sushi, Foie Gras both reg and a Sushi Foie Gras, Mini Crab Cakes, Kobe Beef mini burgers. They did pass around plus set-up a table with small amounts of food on slate. Really looked nice. Rick

This is on "O", in the desk they have a menu for ptv parties-each item had aprice. You pay per item. We asked for a few ideas from the Chef. I can't recall everything but what I do recall we did all bite size:Colossal Shrimp (not bite size), Sushi, Foie Gras both reg and a Sushi Foie Gras, Mini Crab Cakes, Kobe Beef mini burgers. They did pass around plus set-up a table with small amounts of food on slate. Really looked nice. Rick

Interesting - thanks for letting us know about this. There is no charge for this on Regent when you are in a Grand, Master or Regent suite. The selections may be different but they will prepare whatever you like and that they have in stock. The shrimp they provide are large and the crab claws are quite yummy. Guess this is yet another reason why I prefer Regent to Oceania.

TC2, I hope your right, I've been reading the post and seem to like what I'm reading. I've booked 3 cruises on Regent coming up. I wanted to wait on the 2 and book on the ship for a discount. However glad I didn't because it's seems that the high suites book out first. I have booked 1 on "O" for Cuba-think it's port are better than Regent.

We're thinking about booking Tahiti cruise from PPT to LA-not sure which would be best Regent or "O". Thinking "O" if it's on the bigger ship.

When you say in a Grand Suite they make what ever you want at no cost, is that for just one party? Because the write up for that suite states 1 cocktail party for 8.

Rick

TC2, I hope your right, I've been reading the post and seem to like what I'm reading. I've booked 3 cruises on Regent coming up. I wanted to wait on the 2 and book on the ship for a discount. However glad I didn't because it's seems that the high suites book out first. I have booked 1 on "O" for Cuba-think it's port are better than Regent.

We're thinking about booking Tahiti cruise from PPT to LA-not sure which would be best Regent or "O". Thinking "O" if it's on the bigger ship.

When you say in a Grand Suite they make what ever you want at no cost, is that for just one party? Because the write up for that suite states 1 cocktail party for 8.

Rick

First, if the cruise you are thinking about is on the Navigator, think twice. It had one heck of a time crossing the Pacific on the world cruise. Just food for thought.

Yes - Grand Suite and above are for one party (no cost). I'm not certain that you can order anything you like but we have never been told "no". We have had a few people in for drinks where I just ordered from the Butler Menu and use the alcohol I had on hand. It depends upon the situation and your butler. As I mentioned (I think on the three), on our last cruise we attended a party for around 15-20 in a Seven Seas Suite (Explorer) and they paid for it. Not sure of the cost.

My DH and I aren't into being around a lot of people. Our preference is to have one couple in our suite for dinner. Keep in mind that the Grand Suites on Explorer are much smaller than the Vista Suites on the Riviera (the living room is about half the size). We found it crowded when we invited four couples. OTOH, the balcony is huge an could accommodate quite a few people - as long as the weather cooperates.

Note for anyone considering a forward Grand Suite ......... when the ship is moving, the balcony is just about unusable!

No, that's why we're thinking about "O" for that cruise. We have the Grand Suite on the Explorer in the back of the ship, and for a party it would be 6 at most for cocktails and 2 at most for dinner. Even on "O" after the cocktail party we'd book the ptv (Pervee-forgot spelling) dinning room for 10, That way when it's over its over and we can go back to the suite to relax. On the Mariner the suite is up front and I think the patio is on the side. Rick

• 4 weeks later...

We are also new to Regents. We just upgraded to a PH so this will be our first butler. I have a few (well actually many) questions, but will try to stay on topic. On the Butler request form, it gives us the choice of 2 bottles. If I like to mix my own Martini's, will they stock Vermouth as well as vodka or gin? My wife likes gin and tonic, can we request tonic early or do we wait until we board? If they pre-stock these things, how do I request Vermouth or Tonic? They keep the mini-bar stocked throughout the cruise, correct?

One other off topic question... Travelcat said "Navigator had a heck of a time crossing the Pacific." We are on Mariner and from all posts it's a wonderful ship. I'm curious as I expect to book more Regent's cruises, what problem did Navigator have? Will Mariner have the same issues?

We are also new to Regents. We just upgraded to a PH so this will be our first butler. I have a few (well actually many) questions, but will try to stay on topic. On the Butler request form, it gives us the choice of 2 bottles. If I like to mix my own Martini's, will they stock Vermouth as well as vodka or gin? My wife likes gin and tonic, can we request tonic early or do we wait until we board? If they pre-stock these things, how do I request Vermouth or Tonic? They keep the mini-bar stocked throughout the cruise, correct?

One other off topic question... Travelcat said "Navigator had a heck of a time crossing the Pacific." We are on Mariner and from all posts it's a wonderful ship. I'm curious as I expect to book more Regent's cruises, what problem did Navigator have? Will Mariner have the same issues?

Papa - you can either fill out the butler request form or call Regent directly - but we've had good luck in the past with the request form. The fridge is usually stocked with soft drinks, beer, soda, club soda, and tonic as a default, but you can request more or less of whatever - if you prefer all tonic and no beer, for example, just ask and they'll see to it. I've never requested vermouth in my suite, but I'm sure they could set you up. I usually just have a bottle of Macallan and a glass, so I'm easy to please. :D

As to the stability of the ships, Navigator is the smallest of the existing Regent fleet and as such is somewhat 'bouncy' in heavy seas. Mariner is generally considered to be the most stable and smoothest of the four ships so you should be in good shape. FWIW, we were on Navigator last summer in some very heavy seas (captain said 30' swells!) and it was tossing us around pretty well. During the night we had some 'hull slaps' and my wife even got tossed halfway out of bed, but I didn't think it was all that bad. Then again, I love rollercoasters so that may have something to do with it.

We've never had really rough seas on any of the other ships so I can't make a direct comparison, but from what I've heard the Mariner is the ship to be on in heavy seas.

Agree with Bill. I wondered what was going on when the hull hit the sea so hard - didn't know they were called "hull slaps". They can be fierce. Our difficult seas experience on Navigator was from San Francisco to Vancouver. I cannot imagine how bad it must have been at the beginning of the world cruise when she crossed the Pacific to Hawaii. On Mariner, we have watched rough seas while dining in CR - waves approaching the windows but the liquid in the water and wine glasses had barely a ripple. Such a dramatic difference.

As a aside, I feel that the Explorer is second in terms of stability in rough seas (officers on the ship may disagree).

Travelcat said "Navigator had a heck of a time crossing the Pacific." We are on Mariner and from all posts it's a wonderful ship. I'm curious as I expect to book more Regent's cruises, what problem did Navigator have? Will Mariner have the same issues?

We crossed the North Pacific a couple of years ago in mid September on Navigator, Seward to the Kamchatka Peninsula thru the Aleutians, part of the Bering Sea and well north of Japan and had absolutely no sea problems. Don't even remember feeling any of the famous stern vibration. No problems whatsoever and we did have a few stormy days.

Sometimes the good and bad hype is just that, hype and sometimes realistic. Would do that cruise again in a heartbeat. Have a great cruise.

We crossed the North Pacific a couple of years ago in mid September on Navigator, Seward to the Kamchatka Peninsula thru the Aleutians, part of the Bering Sea and well north of Japan and had absolutely no sea problems. Don't even remember feeling any of the famous stern vibration. No problems whatsoever and we did have a few stormy days.

Sometimes the good and bad hype is just that, hype and sometimes realistic. Would do that cruise again in a heartbeat. Have a great cruise.

Did you read the "live" reports from the WC this year? Definitely not hype - most passengers were not comfortable. We did the Bering Sea on a similar sized ship (Silversea) and also fortunate with mild seas (BTW, the Navigator hasn't done the itinerary you mentioned for at least 5-6 years which is why we had to do the itinerary on the Silver Whisper). It would seem that your experience is unique. Some people take the seas better than others and some enjoy the vibration while others have lost sleep over it. IMO, it is best to warn people new to Regent of what they might experience.

P.S. You could not do that cruise again - at least not on Regent as they still have not resumed the itinerary. You may recall that the Mariner did it many years ago and had either 30' or 40' waves. She handled it well!

I wondered what was going on when the hull hit the sea so hard - didn't know they were called "hull slaps". They can be fierce.

I don't know if that's what they're officially called - but that's what I call them! I got used to hearing them on smaller boats jumping wakes on the Ohio river, and some of them were real spine-crushers. But it's an entirely different thing on a 28,500+ ton ship in the middle of the sea. Interesting tidbit: We went to a wine tasting during this bit of weather (how they kept the glasses from taking a fall, I'll never know!!) and after the tasting, we were able to sync our weaving with the motion of the ship and managed to walk down the hallways perfectly straight. It was a miracle. ;p

You may recall that the Mariner did it many years ago and had either 30' or 40' waves. She handled it well!

Our heavy weather trip on Navigator was in about 30' seas, and the only other time we were in such heavy seas was on board the QM2 coming out of NYC - we had 30-35' seas and you honestly couldn't even feel them. If you hadn't seen the waves completely covering the portholes in the café, you'd have sworn you were floating around in your local lake. That's the difference between a liner and a cruise ship. Oh, and displacement. Displacement helps, too. ;)

Edited by UUNetBill
Fix typo

Papa - you can either fill out the butler request form or call Regent directly - but we've had good luck in the past with the request form. The fridge is usually stocked with soft drinks, beer, soda, club soda, and tonic as a default, but you can request more or less of whatever - if you prefer all tonic and no beer, for example, just ask and they'll see to it. I've never requested vermouth in my suite, but I'm sure they could set you up. I usually just have a bottle of Macallan and a glass, so I'm easy to please. :D

As to the stability of the ships, Navigator is the smallest of the existing Regent fleet and as such is somewhat 'bouncy' in heavy seas. Mariner is generally considered to be the most stable and smoothest of the four ships so you should be in good shape. FWIW, we were on Navigator last summer in some very heavy seas (captain said 30' swells!) and it was tossing us around pretty well. During the night we had some 'hull slaps' and my wife even got tossed halfway out of bed, but I didn't think it was all that bad. Then again, I love rollercoasters so that may have something to do with it.

We've never had really rough seas on any of the other ships so I can't make a direct comparison, but from what I've heard the Mariner is the ship to be on in heavy seas.

Thanks for the info. My wife was a bit concerned about the smaller ship than we have been on. We did experience some heavy seas twice, once on Carnival in the Med, and once on Royal Caribbean in the Bay of Biscay. She was fine during both. Carnival ships tend to be top heavy and don't handle rough seas well (in my opinion only). So it's good to hear that Mariner's stability is well thought of.

I will request vermouth. Thanks. Might just follow your lead and go with the Macallan. Seems like a very reasonable thing to do.

P.S. I like rollercoasters too, so no problem here. 😎