"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

So, this may sound really divaish (yeah, my made up word because DH says I am a diva) I tell him he really has no idea what a true diva is like. :)

I MUST have my almond joy creamer for my coffee. Is this something I should bring and are they going to allow me to bring it? Smuggling coffee creamer instead of booze....hahaha.

Well, you probably won't find Almond Joy creamer on board. 😆 It might or might not be allowed, depending on which cruise line you're going on. Read the FAQ's before you decide to smuggle.....

What's the worst thing that will happen? They take it?

Well, I don't think they'd forbid you from boarding!!

Yes, the worse that would happen is they would bring your bag to the naughty room and ask that you go there to claim your bag, minus the creamer. They might hold it for you until the end of the cruise, or they might toss it. Or use it themselves!

Make sure it's a factory sealed bottle in case they look at it. If it's been opened, they might think it has booze in it, in which case you for sure won't get it, regardless of the cruise line.

So, this may sound really divaish (yeah, my made up word because DH says I am a diva) I tell him he really has no idea what a true diva is like. :)

I MUST have my almond joy creamer for my coffee. Is this something I should bring and are they going to allow me to bring it? Smuggling coffee creamer instead of booze....hahaha.

As long as it's a brand new, unopened bottle (or the single-serve little cups of creamer), you should be okay.

And I love "diva-ish"!

We're sailing May 1st to the Bahamas's and I'm very cold natured. How chilly does it get inside the ship? (A/C) Trying to decide if I want to be bothered with a sweater.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Definitely take a sweater for inside. And you'll probably need it if you go out on deck at night too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Definitely take a sweater for inside. And you'll probably need it if you go out on deck at night too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

and nothing is consistent. one day on the breakaway i was hot in the one dining room. later that week same dining room i froze. so you just never know

• 3 months later...

When going off the ship at a port of call take a copy of that day's ship's newspaper with you - there are often spare copies near the reception area. This applies particularly if you do not take a ship's tour.

The reason is that important info is in the newspaper. If you get in to trouble while ashore the contact details of the ship's agent in the port are in the newspaper. For instance: you are robbed and have to go to the police station or suffer an accident or illness ashore. The agent can communicate with the ship to make them aware of the situation. Should you be only likely to be a few minutes late the captain may be willing to wait for you.

Excellent advice!

Thanks!

When going off the ship at a port of call take a copy of that day's ship's newspaper with you - there are often spare copies near the reception area. This applies particularly if you do not take a ship's tour.

The reason is that important info is in the newspaper. If you get in to trouble while ashore the contact details of the ship's agent in the port are in the newspaper. For instance: you are robbed and have to go to the police station or suffer an accident or illness ashore. The agent can communicate with the ship to make them aware of the situation. Should you be only likely to be a few minutes late the captain may be willing to wait for you.

This is a good idea. I take a picture of the info with my phone so I don't have to carry the paper with me, but either way it's still a good idea to have it on you

I will either tear/cut the port agent's information out or write it on a slip of paper and put that in my wallet. If my phone is lost or stolen, or my battery goes dead, I like to have the back up.

so different lines have different rules about brining on beverages? what about Holland America? I was going to bring a few bottles of water on with me

Absolutely they do!

HAL allows you to bring aboard as much bottled water (and other non-alcoholic beverages) as you'd like in your carry on luggage at embarkation, plus you can bring them aboard from ports of call.

This made me laugh, because on first cruise (April 2007) this happened to me. We were so excited to be boarding the ship and a crew member approached me with a tray full of drinks. Would you like a drink?...he asked. Well sure!!!! He passed a drink to everyone in our group and then stood there waiting for my sign and sail card. Then it hit me that these were not complimentary drinks! Won't make that mistake on my next cruise!!!

I know this post is ancient but I am wondering if you have a drink package is the initial drink included?

We are taking our first cruise in December for belated honeymoon, thank you all for sharing these wonderful tips!

I know this post is ancient but I am wondering if you have a drink package is the initial drink included?

We are taking our first cruise in December for belated honeymoon, thank you all for sharing these wonderful tips!

I would suppose that regardless of which cruiseline you're on, that the first drink until the last drink is covered by the beverage package. There might be a cut off time on the end day when the pkg is done, but that should be easy enough to determine. The drinks you get the first day while still in port might be subject to a sales tax, but will only be about $.75 each or so.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A few questions for a first timer. Going on the Noordam to Alaska next June

1. Is there a minibar in your room? If yes, how does that work?

2. Can you bring a travel mug and get coffee to go?

3. Can you get a nightcap and take it back to your room?

A few questions for a first timer. Going on the Noordam to Alaska next June

1. Is there a minibar in your room? If yes, how does that work?

2. Can you bring a travel mug and get coffee to go?

3. Can you get a nightcap and take it back to your room?

You might try posting this in the Holland America board, you will get more answers there.

(in general, yes you can bring a travel mug and fill it with coffee, and yes you can take drinks back to your room)