Considering a Circumnavigation of Australia cruise.

DH and I are considering a circumnavigation of Australia Cruise on either Princess (Sea Princess ) or Oceania(Regatta). The Princess Cruise is in March the Oceania Cruise in December. We will likely do a post-cruise land trip in the Sydney area. We are both in our mid-sixties in good health and prefer outdoor or cultural things to shopping and art museums. I am looking for recommendations, suggestions, opinions on such a plan.

I really appreciate anyone's help or suggestions.

Greg

There is quite a difference between the Sea Princess and an Oceania ship and also the itinerary. Oceania is a much smaller ship than Sea Princess and the line is more up-market and more expensive. The northern part of the trip would be hot and humid in both December and March. If these two cruises are your options, I suggest you make your decision based on the ports of call, whether you want to exclusivity of Oceania and the price.

I would opt for the Oceania cruise. Its a smaller ship and can get into ports of call that the bigger ones have to miss. Had a quick look at the itinerary and its fab. You get PNG and Bali as well as some of the smaller islands in Australia.

I would opt for the Oceania cruise. Its a smaller ship and can get into ports of call that the bigger ones have to miss. Had a quick look at the itinerary and its fab. You get PNG and Bali as well as some of the smaller islands in Australia.

I agree with you that the Oceania is a much better cruise with more ports. But it is very expensive ......

What price a lifetime of memories ??...;)

It has taken me a long time, but I have finally come around to David's point of view re value versus cost.

What price is my time, to waste it on ships which haven't been adequately maintained, on ships where cost cutting has reduced food on board to be less quality than I would have at a restaurant at home, or a home cooked meal, to itineraries with less time in port where you have insufficient time to see new places. I just read on a thread that $17 extra was asked for a steak. Really?

It has taken me a long time, but I have finally come around to David's point of view re value versus cost.

What price is my time, to waste it on ships which haven't been adequately maintained, on ships where cost cutting has reduced food on board to be less quality than I would have at a restaurant at home, or a home cooked meal, to itineraries with less time in port where you have insufficient time to see new places. I just read on a thread that $17 extra was asked for a steak. Really?

Was that on Princess? I cannot recall seeing that option. It was on P&O, but that isn't relevant to this thread.

Around Australia is a great cruise. Do keep in mind though that the heat we get in the Aussie tropics is not like Arizona heat. Humidity will be very high for most of the trip and that will limit outside activities. In December you should see some pretty spectacular storms up north too. When in Sydney plan to come on up to the Blue Mountains, apart from being a bit cooler we do have a bit to see here. Also search "the Web" for activities that appeal, I always suggest the ferry ride to Manly and/or Watsons Bay as great outings.

Steve.

Thanks everyone for your inputs and comments. We have decided to do the Princess cruise, since it doesn't get to the north coast until the last week of March..

One more question if I may. Given the distance the ship is from the shore when underway, does it matter which side of the ship your cabin is on?

If you're going in a clockwise direction then starboard, otherwise port. There are some parts of the cruise where you get wonderful views of the coast. However you can always go up on deck during those sections.

We book into the Sanctuary as soon as we board. This is a extra cost area on Princess ($40 full day, $20 half day, $30 per day if you book the whole cruise) that has the best views on the ship and super-comfy sunloungers to relax on while you enjoy the views. Once you choose your sun loungers they are yours for the time you have booked. Sometimes on that class of ship they set the sunloungers facing into the middle - just ask them to turn them around.

Make sure you are near a loud speaker when transiting through Torres Strait. The strait pilot often gives a commentary of the area. The ship passes very close to the shore in this area.

Thanks everyone for your inputs and comments. We have decided to do the Princess cruise, since it doesn't get to the north coast until the last week of March..

One more question if I may. Given the distance the ship is from the shore when underway, does it matter which side of the ship your cabin is on?

In all honesty there were only a very few times we could see land, in fact I think I'd prefer ocean side to land side with a better chance to see sea life and ships, there was that littleland to see.