Buffets on Riviera not self service?

tipsygirl

It does make you wonder who sets the degree of difficulty for some of these tours

DH said some must be done by some young 20 something scout not some older 60+ one ;)

He may well be right! What surprised me was that a harder climb was described as moderate, and vice versa. And we were young then ...this was in 1977. (I first wrote 197 but we aren't THAT old.)

A funny thing about that hard climb was that I saw an older woman (i.e. older than I was, she was probably in her 50s) starting out with her climbing "skis" -- you know what I mean, I'm sure! -- thinking she would have a hard time. She left me in her dust ...

I did have the grace to be amused at my sense of superiority when clearly I was NOT. She struck me as a European, perhaps from the alpine area ...

Mura

Back to your husband's point, Lyn, I guess we need to look at the real description as WELL as the number of figures shown depicting difficulty ... It can still be difficult to predict how you will do.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm so sorry I have read this thread as I was looking forward to my first cruise on Oceania! I am a 51 year old wheelchair user who enjoys pushing myself to get the most out of my holidays. Sure I use a chair but I am in the best position to decide what my capabilities are. I have been on hundreds of excursions and have NEVER slowed others down, in fact I am usually the first person to arrive at each timed point! And as for getting in people's way in the buffet - your comments make me so sad. Do you really think I shouldn't be allowed in the buffet or to choose my own food in case I slow you down for an extra second? I sincerely hope you never experience illness or disability!

Well I'm so sorry I have read this thread as I was looking forward to my first cruise on Oceania! I am a 51 year old wheelchair user who enjoys pushing myself to get the most out of my holidays. Sure I use a chair but I am in the best position to decide what my capabilities are. I have been on hundreds of excursions and have NEVER slowed others down, in fact I am usually the first person to arrive at each timed point! And as for getting in people's way in the buffet - your comments make me so sad. Do you really think I shouldn't be allowed in the buffet or to choose my own food in case I slow you down for an extra second? I sincerely hope you never experience illness or disability!

I to am sorry that you read this thread as it not been our experience on our Oceania cruises. However, I suppose there are rude people everywhere and, in some countries, it is common (and accepted) to cut in line, push in able to get to the buffet, etc. These same people think that it is okay to touch the food (even though it is served to you, it is within reach). On the other hand, we have seen rude people in electric scooters and wheel chairs -- almost running people down.

Premium plus and luxury cruise line do have an older demographic for many reasons. Many retired people have more to travel, can afford to travel, no longer have to travel with children (and prefer a more adult oriented environment) and do not want loud music at the pool, wet t-shirt contests, etc.

Oceania and other premium plus or luxury lite cruises tend to get new customers from premium and mainstream cruise lines where the cruising environment is completely different. When you are sailing with 3,000 - 5,000 others, saving seats at a table may be an issue. It generally isn't on Oceania or luxury cruise lines. Most people coming from main stream and premium lines are just as respectful as people on Oceania. The one difference that I see is that they are quite a bit younger with less cruising experience. This should not equate to poor manners but sometimes it does.

Getting back to the issue of your wheelchair, if someone is making it difficult for you, I would kindly explain that they either cut in front of you, blocked you. etc. If they are rude or disrespectful, I would report it to the manager in the restaurant. IMO, there should be no tolerance for rudeness and people should have give special consideration to those that need it -- be it because of age or disability.

For those of you that feel that the demographic on Oceania is too old, there are a lot of cruise lines with a younger demographic -- just do a bit of research!

Ignore the poster. He/she is not representative of oceania passengers. I have already addressed the utter lack of compassion revealed I. His/her posts. Very disturbing attitude imo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ignore the poster. He/she is not representative of oceania passengers. I have already addressed the utter lack of compassion revealed I. His/her posts. Very disturbing attitude imo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Amen to that. Speaking of health how are you doing Bob.

In the past couple of years we have seen an increase of people using walkers, canes, even wheel chairs (or mobile scooters). But I remember when I was using a cane -- and on a 2005 cruise I was even in a wheelchair. People were also considerate of my problems and I try to carry that forward.

For the record, even though I've seen more use of "mobility assistance" in the past couple of years, we've never been "hampered" by some one in a wheel chair or other device when going to meals. Maybe that's because if we are in the buffet we're usually there late? I don't know.

But from my experience after knee surgery, I would never be critical of someone who is holding me up. I'm just not in that great of a rush!

Welcome to Oceania. From the posts I've seen, that was not a post expressive of how most of us feel.

Mura

• 2 weeks later...

I usually dislike buffets. However, Oceania makes the buffet experience very nice. Servers plate food as you ask for it. Waiters will carry dishes to a table. They will also get you drinks and anything you want. Dirty plates are quickly removed. Selection is nicely displayed. The food is excellent. Also, outside Waves Grill is very good. No standing in lines or looking for utensils.

What an ugly turn this thread has taken! This discussion was once about buffet service - right? Or has senility overtaken me?:confused:

Instead I'm reading nasty diatribes about aging passengers. I cruised on the R3 for my 50th birthday, and now have had the privilege of cruising a number of times on Oceania and WindStar, as I have [gasp!] aged. Imagine that; I've gotten older and I still enjoy cruising. And we've met many lovely people - of varying age and mobility - on our cruises.

It sounds like pinotlover oughtta have a couple more glasses and chill. I can't close this thread, but it sure seems to me that it ought to be allowed to die and be buried far beneath new threads...

What an ugly turn this thread has taken! This discussion was once about buffet service - right? Or has senility overtaken me?:confused:

Instead I'm reading nasty diatribes about aging passengers. I cruised on the R3 for my 50th birthday, and now have had the privilege of cruising a number of times on Oceania and WindStar, as I have [gasp!] aged. Imagine that; I've gotten older and I still enjoy cruising. And we've met many lovely people - of varying age and mobility - on our cruises.

It sounds like pinotlover oughtta have a couple more glasses and chill. I can't close this thread, but it sure seems to me that it ought to be allowed to die and be buried far beneath new threads...

I agree and it was on it's way to being buried however someone today moved it to the top. Any guess who that was? ;p

Interesting. My first thought was this could help (not eliminate) the norovirus being spread around the ship;)

Cheers,

John

Not sure why but it is a fact that Oceania has had quite a few more cases of norovirus than their sister company, Regent (where you serve yourself at the buffet). There are crew members watching and if a serving utensil is used for more than one item (which shouldn't happen), they will remove and replace the utensil(s).

IMO, Oceania crew members should be taking more care in how they are preparing the "a' la minute" foods properly as I have seen unsafe preparation of food twice in the Terrace Cafe'.