Planning on first cruise but am so divided between cruise lines and destinations!

MaC410

My husband and I want to go on a cruise to Italy and the surrounding areas next year, with the focus on Italy especially Rome and Venice. I have found two cruises that would work for us: A 12 day Royal Caribbean Cruise that starts and ends in Barcelona visiting Nice, Florence, Rome, Naples, Venice for two days, Ravenna and Montenegro that is in late May or a 7 day Norwegian cruise that starts in Venice and visits Croatia, Athens, Santorini, Olympia and ends in Rome that is in late October. If we did the 7 day cruise, we would add days to the beginning and end of the trip to really see those two cities. The first one we could see more but I cant stand the idea of only being in Rome for not even a full day (We have never been to Italy). The prices are comparable and we are having such a hard time making a decision. Any input would be great!

For us, more cruise days is better. RCI's is better for us, especially an overnight in Venice. Also a chance to see the leaning tower of Pisa from Florence. But a day in Rome, you may get to see the major sites but not enough time to appreciate the Vatican museum.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do the 7 day cruise. Then spend a week on land before the cruise and a week on land after the cruise. That is what I am doing on a longer 11 day cruise that we are doing in September. The total trip length will be 26 days.

DON

I would go with the 12 day cruise and if you can arrive a few days prior to the cruise.

This way you'll get over the jet lag, and have time to explore Barcelona and avoid a situation flying in the day of the cruise and should something go wrong missing the ship.

Keith

Back in 2015, we did a 7 night NCL Venice round trip to the Greek islands. The cruise departed on October 3rd.

We flew to Rome on Sept 26 and stayed 4 nights. Then by train to Venice for 2 nights and on to the ship. We stayed one night in Venice near the airport for an early flight back to the US.

The time in Rome allowed us to visit all the places on our list and 2 days in Venice was enough.

The weather was perfect in Greece and it was not crowded with holiday-makers.

There is so much to see in Rome, a "port day" there is definitely not enough time.

Since OP is primarily interested in Rome and Venice, the only logical approach is to sail from one to the other - allowing a day (or days) pre and post cruise in both those cities -- neither of which can even be tasted in a six or seven hour port call drive-by.

There are many possibilities: just two which I find attractive are:

Celebrity Constellation - sailing Venice to Rome 6/16-6/23 with stops in Mykonos and Santorini -

HAL Oosterdam - Venice to Rome 8/4-8/16 with stops in the Adriatic, Aegean and Malta. (Which I am now considering).

Fly to Rome, after a day or two train up to Venice, spend a day or two, sail back to Rome spend at least a couple more days in Rome then fly home. There are many more direct flights to Rome than to Venice - doing the R/T there make sense, and the train to Venice is easy and comfortable.

My husband and I want to go on a cruise to Italy and the surrounding areas next year, with the focus on Italy especially Rome and Venice. I have found two cruises that would work for us: A 12 day Royal Caribbean Cruise that starts and ends in Barcelona visiting Nice, Florence, Rome, Naples, Venice for two days, Ravenna and Montenegro that is in late May or a 7 day Norwegian cruise that starts in Venice and visits Croatia, Athens, Santorini, Olympia and ends in Rome that is in late October. If we did the 7 day cruise, we would add days to the beginning and end of the trip to really see those two cities. The first one we could see more but I cant stand the idea of only being in Rome for not even a full day (We have never been to Italy). The prices are comparable and we are having such a hard time making a decision. Any input would be great!

Speaking just about the cruises themselves, the RCI option is far better, especially if the prices are comparable. 12 days is so much better than 7. RCI is a better cruise line with nicer ships, in my opinion. However.....

All things considered, I think the NCL 7 day cruise with extra days spent in both Venice and Rome is the better option. I've stayed several days in both Venice and Rome pre or post cruises and those are some of my fondest memories.

Also, navybankerteacher makes a great point by providing a couple extra choices. NCL would be my last choice if Celebrity and HAL were options. I think you should look closer at those choices.

MaC410 - firstly, I'm happy to see that you are looking at Mediterranean cruises that are not in June/July/August as the crowds and heat can be horrendous. The 7 night October cruise can give you extra time in both Venice and Rome that you mentioned.. Most importantly, by doing the trip in October, you will avoid the heat and crowds of the earlier sailings.

Croatia is also amazing and Santorini is magical (again, as long as you are not there in the summer where the ships and people are like people on a freeway when the traffic is stop and go).

We love both Italy and Greece and this itinerary would give you time in both places.

Let us know what you decide:D

My husband and I want to go on a cruise to Italy and the surrounding areas next year, with the focus on Italy especially Rome and Venice. ... The first one we could see more but I cant stand the idea of only being in Rome for not even a full day (We have never been to Italy).

As someone who studied in Italy, my advice would be not to discount Florence.

I enjoyed Florence much more than Rome and there's alot of history there of which many people are unaware.

Rome, while not to be missed, is a large, somewhat dirty, modern city while Florence is much more romantic and charming.

This is of course assuming you choose to do a shorter cruise and spend more time on land in Italy (and have the time to add Florence).

Traveling to Florence from either Rome or Venice by train is easy (easier from Venice as it doesn't require a change of train) and totally worth it (and don't even get me started on Siena and the Tuscan countryside).

Feel free to contact me privately if I can be of any help.

Wow. Really hard choice. For me, I would pick the 12 day one - but I've been to Rome a few times. If this is your first time and Rome is on your bucket list, I'd recommend the 7 day. I love Rome, one of my favorite cities in the world. And you can't come close to seeing it in one port day.

As someone who studied in Italy, my advice would be not to discount Florence.

I enjoyed Florence much more than Rome and there's alot of history there of which many people are unaware

Traveling to Florence from either Rome or Venice by train is easy (easier from Venice as it doesn't require a change of train) and totally worth it (and don't even get me started on Siena and the Tuscan countryside).

Feel free to contact me privately if I can be of any help.

Of course, the ideal would be to give oneself a couple of days in Florence while going by train from Rome to Venice (or the other way).

I don't think people are generally unaware of the history in Florence.

But what makes you think you have to change trains going from Rome to Florence - there are direct trains all day- about an hour fifteen to an hour thirty minutes' ride.

But what makes you think you have to change trains going from Rome to Florence - there are direct trains all day- about an hour fifteen to an hour thirty minutes' ride.

You're absolutely right. I forgot about the high speed trains (shame on me) on that run as I've never used them. Traveling on the regional trains requires a change in Chiusi (at least it did when I most recently did it in the winter of 2011).

You're absolutely right. I forgot about the high speed trains (shame on me) on that run as I've never used them. Traveling on the regional trains requires a change in Chiusi (at least it did when I most recently did it in the winter of 2011).

A huge mea culpa is now required because I just realized that I was thinking about the train from Rome to Siena. That trip requires the change in Chiusi.

I would suggest googling or buying a Frpmmer's guide .They are excellent.o

I am sure that you will enjoy either cruise.

My comment is that the prices are NOT comparable. Assuming that the cruise costs are about the same; adding 5 days to the NCL 7 day cruise will be at least an additional $300 to $500 per day or $1500 to $2500 additional! So one 12 day vacation is much more expensive than the other 12 day vacation.

If Rome is your primary interest, you might wish to consider another option: the October 21st NCL Spirit 11 night sailing round-trip out of Rome with an overnight in Venice.

Whatever your choice, enjoy the cruise.

Wow everyone thank you for all the great responses! My husband and I have a lot to discuss (I'm the one planning this trip but I still want to see what he is thinking. I will let you all know what we decide :)

• 3 weeks later...

There is a 3d solution that nobody has discussed. Forget the cruise and just spend your time in Italy. You actually get to see Italy instead of jumping from place to place. I guess that I responded a bit too late and I am glad that you enjoyed yourself. I still think that my solution was the best choice however.

DON

On our first European cruise back in 1991 we started in Venice and ended in Barcelona.

While sailing out from Venice we were standing on deck watching as we sailed past Piazza San Marcos and a fellow passenger and I got into a conversation about how great it was to get such a view and how reasonable the cost was.

He said something that has stuck with us ever since. Cruising is a great way to sample the various ports because there really isn't enough time to really experience any of them. He was spot on. We visited several ports that we really had no desire to see again but several others where we have since returned and spent real time.

One interesting example was Grand Cayman where we decided to spend a week a few years after we did a Caribbean cruise that included Grand Cayman. Great decision. That is one fascinating destination with lots to see and do and really great people.

Another was Helsinki Finland which we really didn't have much interest in until the port call. We went back for a six day vacation that included a two day land trip to Leningrad (now St. Petersburg). Unforgettable.

In other words enjoy your cruise and planning for your future experiences in this wonderful world.