Cruising out of Galveston Question

Chyna3032

Question,

When people fly in to cruise out of Galveston, I'm thinking that they normally fly into Houston, correct? If so, what do you normally do to get to Galveston...rent a car and then park it at the port parking? How have you handled this.

Question,

When people fly in to cruise out of Galveston, I'm thinking that they normally fly into Houston, correct? If so, what do you normally do to get to Galveston...rent a car and then park it at the port parking? How have you handled this.

Much info on the Gulf Coast Departures forum: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=414

Also, note that there are two major airports serving the Houston area:

IAH: Bush Intercontinental, farther from Galveston, more choices of airlines

HOU: Houston Hobby, closer to Galveston, many Southwest flights.

We try to fly to Hobby if at all possible.

My daughter went on Carnival Breeze for her honeymoon last November. I booked a shuttle for her and because it was her honeymoon, I booked a town car. They had no issues with the shuttle...it was easy and on time. They flew in the day before and stayed at a hotel close to port on Galveston Island. The next morning they took a taxi to the ship. When returning from the cruise, my brother-in-law picked them up. If he wouldn't have been able to pick them up, they would have used a taxi only because judging what time they get off the ship for a shuttle is hard. They flew in to Hobby which is closer to port. They would book a shuttle again if they leave from Galveston. They were off the ship by 8:45 and they did self walk off with their luggage.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

do they not have carnival shuttle from Hobby?

Carnival has to/return shuttle with Hobby on same day of cruise departure/disembark

As I understand and check with each: (Please check with both directly)

Galveston Limo has everyday all day regular schedules of transfers from/to Hobby

Galveston Express has everyday all day with reservation of transfers from/to Hobby

• 1 month later...

That is Kind of high for a towncar or car service for over $300. $150 from Houston HOBBY airport to Galveston is about right for this type of service, which I have taken for 2 people. Bush maybe $180?. Very reliable, safe and professional. Black car uber is about the same anyway so I would rather support the locals than giving Goober and lyft my money.;p Bush to Galveston goober (Uber) black car is estimated at $240 lol.

I travel solo and got a town car shuttle for just over $300 a few years ago.....stupid expensive IMO. This year I'm going to try Uber or Lyft, should be at least $100 cheaper!
Edited by DaCruise1

Question,

We are cruising out of Galveston in January. We would like to have flown into Hobby but the flights were cheaper at Bush. We have decided to fly in a day early. Staying near the airport via shuttle. We are going to take Galveston limo to and from the airport the next morning. Seems the best solution for us.

• 2 weeks later...
Flying to Houston, renting car driving to hotel, driving back to airport next morning, return car, meet RCI shuttle to port, and have return to airport after cruise, $50 per person

Why not just stay at a hotel with an airport shuttle and skip the rental car and save the money.

Why not just stay at a hotel with an airport shuttle and skip the rental car and save the money.

nothing in my price range that I wanted to pay, my work happened to have a discount with the Park Inn and Budget

nothing in my price range that I wanted to pay, my work happened to have a discount with the Park Inn and Budget

But are you really saving money? Add the cost of a rental (which are not cheap in Houston as the taxes are high) to the hotel vs just a hotel. There are plenty of mid/lower level properties near the airport with a shuttle. Plus, you will have to collect luggage, board a shuttle to the rental car center, get rental, return rental to car center (it is a few miles away from the airport), take shuttle back to airport then board another shuttle to the port. If it's the Park Inn at 500 N. Sam Houston Pkwy East they have an airport shuttle shuttle according to their website.