Scooter on a River Cruise?

We will be on a Danube River Cruise with AMAwaterways this summer. I have heard that the boat's are too small to have a scooter on board (hallways, doorways). Also, I'm told that the buses or vans that take people on excursions do not allow scooters brought on.

Have any of you taken a scooter on a river cruise? What have you heard from anyone who has?

Thanks,

Sue

We will be on a Danube River Cruise with AMAwaterways this summer. I have heard that the boat's are too small to have a scooter on board (hallways, doorways). Also, I'm told that the buses or vans that take people on excursions do not allow scooters brought on.

Have any of you taken a scooter on a river cruise? What have you heard from anyone who has?

Thanks,

Sue

I don't believe that AMA allows mobility scooters, I know Viking doesn't. They recommend folding wheelchairs. Probably the largest problem with a scooter on a river cruise is the "rafting" of boats, where you have to cross from your boat, across up to 2 other boats to get to the dock. Then the dock will have stairs to get to street level. Your best bet would be to contact AMA directly.

To further expand on Chengkp75's post .... In most ports, the river is far below the city area, and to get up to the road level from the shore, you either have to go up steps or negotiate a rough, uneven path making cruising with a mobility scooter very difficult not to mention any mobility issue.

There's much posted on this forum as to issues encoutered on river cruises using wheelchair and scooters . Just use the phrase " River Cruise" in the "SEARCH" .

Here's a link you might fine helpful http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1959

We are tAking my very small and portable smartscoot on tauck in 3 weeks with their full approval. My wife discussed all the arrangements with tauck. No problem at all

I can wAlk but long distances can be an issue. I can go up steps. I will not need it on the ship. The buses can accommodate it. I'm also Taking my nitro rollAtor and will decide which to take in which port

Our friends just returned from the identical cruise on tauck. We are more confident than ever it is doable

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was on two river cruises last month with an injured foot. I used a combination of knee scooter, crutches and wheelchairs. I have to say that the itinerary made the most difference. Tulip Time was very doable. Castles on the Rhine was very difficult.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Forums mobile app

• 2 months later...
I don't believe that AMA allows mobility scooters, I know Viking doesn't. They recommend folding wheelchairs. Probably the largest problem with a scooter on a river cruise is the "rafting" of boats, where you have to cross from your boat, across up to 2 other boats to get to the dock. Then the dock will have stairs to get to street level. Your best bet would be to contact AMA directly.

I recently spoke to a rep from AMA who said we could take the scooter on board. I realize that it was a rep who might not really know the answer and I need to do more research.

We are tAking my very small and portable smartscoot on tauck in 3 weeks with their full approval. My wife discussed all the arrangements with tauck. No problem at all

I can wAlk but long distances can be an issue. I can go up steps. I will not need it on the ship. The buses can accommodate it. I'm also Taking my nitro rollAtor and will decide which to take in which port

Our friends just returned from the identical cruise on tauck. We are more confident than ever it is doable

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

TAUK told me I couldn't bring my travel scoot on board. Seems different people at these companies give different answers. What cruise will you be on?

I was on an AMA Tulip Time cruise last May, and there was a gentleman who used a cane on-board (so was ambulatory) and had brought along a small travel type scooter as well. There was no problem getting it into the bus (most often a large bus with luggage bays underneath), and the crew carried it for him across the steps and intervening rafted boats when needed, but it was a little tricky to use (being of a small size) on the cobblestones and other rough surfaces encountered ashore. I was on several tours with him and saw him and his wife struggling with it. Also keep in mind that the lowest (and least expensive) of the cabins on AMA boats are on a deck not serviced by an elevator, and this includes the top deck of the ship as well. On the deck which is level with reception, a scooter could have been used to go to the dining area, but this man choose to walk with his cane inside, and was able to negotiate the steps with the help of his wife both inside the ship and when crossing other ships when rafted at ports.

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen guests on Viking ships using a scooter. Bord crew incl the PD as well as the bus drivers have been helpful in assisting. They even used the ships crane to move the scooter ashore/aboard. It certainjy depends on the mobility of the passenger, how they can move aboard. The gangway to the ship is tricky, as they can be steep. Also they are narrow, not allowing two people walking next to each other, so assistance can be given only from behind or from the front. Scooters wont do the gangways anyway.