Basel port/dock to train station

drama349

Hello, cruisers! I am taking the Enchanting Rhine River Cruise w/ AMAWaterways, docking in Basel, Switzerland. Then I'll be taking a train to Lucerne, but my question is: How do I get from the port where we dock in Basel (St. Johanns-Park) to the Basel train station? How far is it and how much does it cost?

Thank you for any help!!

If you are comfortable taking public transport, the tram will cost you a few Francs. It stops at the corner of St-Johanns Park, where you dock, and runs directly to the main train station.

I think a single use ticket was 4F when we were there a few years ago. Of course you have to handle your own luggage so if you're not comfortable doing that, by all means take a cab. We pretty much always use public transport, even with our luggage, so we're comfortable with this approach.

This dock (Sankt-Johann) is more convenient to Altstadt and to public transport than the dock that we used in Basel (Dreilandereck). Lucky you!

PS - Swiss train tickets allow you to purchase an add-on, which allows unlimited public transport in the departure city, or the arrival city, (or both), valid on the day of your train ticket. If you do that, you won't have to worry about finding a tram ticket in Basel.

My wife and I disembarked AmaPrima in November in Basil, and we used Uber to get a car to the train station. Worked out very well, and it was a Tesla that showed up. Amawaterways will arrange for a cab if you like prior to docking (they asked the night before if anyone wanted assistance, and many did). I recall the Uber ride was quite a bit less than the cab fare, but don't recall the exact amounts.

Enjoy your trip!

Jeff