Shoes for Danube river cruise (Budapest to Munich)

gladgirl

I wore thongs ( flip flops) or sandals and took one pair of short boots. HATE walking shoes and joggers etc. I travel for months every year and just wear comfortable shoes that still look reasonably smart. Do not wear bumbags( fanny packs) or have cameras hanging around the neck, water bottles hanging off bags , money belts hidden , backpacks.

May as well have a big TOURIST sign tattooed across your forehead.

Just my opinion.

I wore thongs ( flip flops) or sandals and took one pair of short boots. HATE walking shoes and joggers etc. I travel for months every year and just wear comfortable shoes that still look reasonably smart. Do not wear bumbags( fanny packs) or have cameras hanging around the neck, water bottles hanging off bags , money belts hidden , backpacks.

May as well have a big TOURIST sign tattooed across your forehead.

Just my opinion.

It doesn't matter what I do; I will always look like a tourist, because I am one. I generally have an advanced point-and-shoot camera with me, and I wear shoes that I am comfortable walking in, which means New Balance walkers with orthotics. I can't walk any distance in sandals, so I don't. If it is warm, I wear capris with shoes and socks. It looks dorky, but it is what I need to do.

I am reasonably careful about my surroundings, but I generally don't go overboard. The only time I was ever pickpocted was at a pizza shop in the centre of Jerusalem when I was a student there.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had knee replacement and 6 ankle surgeries for torn and ruptured tendons so comfortable and supportive shoes are a must for me, I used Saucony Guide sneakers for long days I knew we'd be walking a lot and Keen Mary Jane style sandals for the plane going over (easy to slip off at security and actually heavier than my sneakers) and to wear when it rained. They worked great for everyday touring and all walking conditions. No boots necessary on the cobblestone streets! Just took nice dressier sandals for the ship dinners, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have several foot issues, including wide feet, ridiculously high arches and metatarsal pain. ... I have been thinking of getting a pair of Tieks ballet flats since they supposedly mold to your feet. Has anyone here tried them?

I would suggest that you try low heeled ballroom dance shoes for dress. These typically have a great arch, padded footbed, a steel shank and straps so they stay on your feet. They come in many widths with varying heel heights, open or closed toe. Tango shoes, typically have street soles, vs. the suede soles of traditional ballroom dance shoes. :)

http://www.verytangostore.com/tango-dance-shoes.html

I got plantar fasciitis last summer and got a couple pairs Vionic - one a ballet flat and the other an athletic shoe. The ballet flat is more comfortable ;-) Has a very molded insole and the negative heel - some people hate, some love, so try. Not all varieties work for me (is true of all brands, really ;-) Privo is another - regular Clark's are usually too narrow for me but I've had some wonderful Mary Jane and ballet flat from Privo that work great...

I am dealing with plantar fasciitis now, just weeks before going on our second river cruise and need to find another pair of shoes to take along that may help. Did the Vionic help you?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am dealing with plantar fasciitis now, just weeks before going on our second river cruise and need to find another pair of shoes to take along that may help. Did the Vionic help you?

Not really. They're ok when PF isn't acting up, but when it's worst, I can only wear birkenstocks and a really old pair of merrell sneakers with PF insoles. I've been trying TONS of different brands, and have shoes I can wear much of the time, but.....

Others with PF have said Vionics work great for them, so I'm sure it won't hurt to try! (there are a couple of threads in the Fashion/Beauty forum here where we talk about comfort shoes, and esp for PF or other foot problems - should be easy to find if you search in that forum)

I have pf issues too and Vionics didn't feel good at all. My best luck is with Keens. I've just ordered a pair of Allbirds, which I think I read about here.

Yeah, I can't wear Keens sandals at all, but boots are ok if I size up a half size. Guess PF doesn't automatically make all our feet the same - it just adds complications to finding the right shoe for our own foot ;-)

I would suggest that you try low heeled ballroom dance shoes for dress. These typically have a great arch, padded footbed, a steel shank and straps so they stay on your feet. They come in many widths with varying heel heights, open or closed toe. Tango shoes, typically have street soles, vs. the suede soles of traditional ballroom dance shoes. :)

http://www.verytangostore.com/tango-dance-shoes.html

I hadn't thought of dance shoes but it does make sense. Thanks for the link; I'll check it out!:D

The dance shoes on the link don't seem that low-heeled to me. Also I don't understand how they take up less space than regular dress shoes in luggage.

Anyway, Ferragamo dress shoes have a steel shank as well and come in a variety of widths. Off-topic, but they will even customize their boots.

If you really have a lot of foot issues it really pays to get a multiple pairs of custom orthotics that can work in dress and casual shoes.

Gourmet Gal. They collapse almost flat, except for the heel, and the soles are flexible so they can bend. The space differential isn't as pronounced for Chris' shoes because the heels don't compress. But for mine, it makes a huge difference in packing space. Plus, they weigh next to nothing. Typical men's dress shoes are bulky, heavy, and a real pain to take anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

A brand of shoes that I had just started to wear is SAS (San Antonio Shoes), made in San Antonio, Texas. In the past they were known for great walking shoes that were not at all stylish. They have updated their brand and have a wide variety of cute shoes, sandals, and boots. I have narrow feet (3A), high arches, and plantar fasciitis in both feet due to bone spurs. I just bought my first pair of SAS, sandals that I was able to wear on walking tours in Barcelona. Nice padding, great arch support, and adjustable due to discreet velcro straps for the heel, the arch, and the front of the foot. and I have several inquiries as to where I got these "cute shoes". They are available online from the company and from Zappos.com.

On arch supports, my podiatrist no longer promotes custom arch supports, but advised me to purchase Spenco Total Support Original arch supports and replace them every 6 months. I can get them at Academy for about $30 versus the $300 I paid for custom supports. It is easy to trim them as needed for different shoes, and at this price I can afford multiple pairs. The don't work well with sandals. My podiatrist recommended Vionic sandals due to their built in arch support, but I find they don't work for a narrow foot.

We will be on a 2 week river cruise in Europe in October. I will be packing 2 pair of waterproof low boots. One is by David Tate, and one by Clarks. The Clarks pair works well with a dress with tights when I need dressier look. Each has arch supports added. These boots have worked well for me for similar trips the last 2 years. It is about time for replacements so I will be looking at SAS for new boots.

I will also pack flats that have a reasonable arch support and cushioning, but only for times when I won't be doing a lot of walking.

My friend swears by them and has several pair. I have seriously considered buying a pair but it is hard to imagine a ballet flat that has any real cushion and support. I need both.

I took the plunge and ordered this morning. Will post an update when they arrive. These would be ideal for wear on a river cruise, and easy to pack.

I have eight pairs of Tieks and wear no other brand at home, except for my Saucony for exercise. However, they do not work for cobbles and uneven terrain. Believe me, I've tried! The split sole gives no cushioning on cobbles and you may find, as I did, that your arch will be bruised. I take two or three pairs to wear on the plane and the ship, but wear the Saucony or thick-soled Sketchers for walking excursions. BTW, we've done nine Viking River Cruises, one Viking Ocean and will leave in a couple of weeks for our second Viking Ocean. We also have two more Viking Rivers booked. Yes, Viking is an addiction!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...