Cruise critic help

AppyAmmer

Hi all,

Just registered as my wife and I are planning a cruise and just want to say how thanks to all the questions/replies on here have helped us immensely.

We are hoping to, in the next few days, book a cruise a round trip from Southampton around the canaries next year and both really excited. We still have a few questions but as the cruise could be a while away we know we have plenty of time to ask anything (And get cracking advise!)

Thanks to the advice on here we know pretty much what to pack, well I do but the wife wants to move the whole wardrobe I think! We also know what not to bring, what to expect, where we should get our cabin and nearly all of the fine details. The only thing we seem to have trouble finding information on is the embarkment process!

I have rambled as this was supposed to be a post thanking everyone for their adivce, even though it was not us that asked the questions!

Hi all,

Just registered as my wife and I are planning a cruise and just want to say how thanks to all the questions/replies on here have helped us immensely.

We are hoping to, in the next few days, book a cruise a round trip from Southampton around the canaries next year and both really excited. We still have a few questions but as the cruise could be a while away we know we have plenty of time to ask anything (And get cracking advise!)

Thanks to the advice on here we know pretty much what to pack, well I do but the wife wants to move the whole wardrobe I think! We also know what not to bring, what to expect, where we should get our cabin and nearly all of the fine details. The only thing we seem to have trouble finding information on is the embarkment process!

I have rambled as this was supposed to be a post thanking everyone for their adivce, even though it was not us that asked the questions!

'

For cruise line/ship specific information you'll do best to go to that cruise line sub-forum. And ask there.

When we started cruising this site was such a huge help...so glad so many are willing to share their advice! Good luck with planning your first of many and welcome to CC! [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Generally, you will arrive at the ship, hand your bags to the porters, go through security (which is not quite as intense as airline security..shoes stay on, liquids don't matter)...then, from that point on, it's like checking into a hotel. It's all easy...just follow the signs and lines!

You'll be given a time to check in; if you're driving, then a porter will remove your luggage and your car will be taken and parked; if you're on a coach then the luggage will be removed and sent on board for you, and if you're coming on foot/taxi, you'll put it in the hole in the wall yourself.

When you enter the terminal, you're given a coloured card; sit and wait for your colour to be read out, and you'll be guided to one of the many desks. You'll also have been given a medical form, to check you've not been ill/have a temp/sickness. Take that, your passport, credit card and ship's documents to the desk. They'll check you in like in an airport, and take a photo for your new sea card, which is now both identification and your spending money.

Move on to security- again, like an airport, and then you'll go up the winding gangway and into the ship. Your new sea card has to be placed in a machine to check you're on board- lots of staff to help you- and then you're free to wander about the ship until cabins are open, around 1 to 1.30pm. You can go to the buffet and have lunch, or have a drink- or just stroll around.

Hi all,

Welcome to Cruise Critic!:)

The one thing I've noticed about embarkation that's a lot different than the airport is the large number of people there to help. I've never been sure of who they are exactly, port workers or cruise line employees. Maybe a separate company entirely that is hired for the day. Whoever they are, they will be wearing jackets or vests so they are easy to spot. It's usually pretty chaotic, so when in doubt, just ask.

The one thing I've noticed about embarkation that's a lot different than the airport is the large number of people there to help. I've never been sure of who they are exactly, port workers or cruise line employees. Maybe a separate company entirely that is hired for the day. Whoever they are, they will be wearing jackets or vests so they are easy to spot. It's usually pretty chaotic, so when in doubt, just ask.

In Southampton, and probably at most ports, there's a dock side firm who recruit local people to do all kinds of jobs, from traffic marshalling to guiding you to the desk. The desk people are also from a dock side firm, and are trained for that particular job. Because we often sail from the same dock, we recognise some of these people now, and notice them again early in a morning when we self-disembark. :)