Power strips

c.s. cruising

If you search either "surge suppressors" or "surge protectors" or look at any of my thousands of posts on this topic you'll get a full explanation. The reason is that surge protectors are not needed on ships, don't serve any function, and can unless they are of a specific marine design, can become a fire hazard. You can also google "USCG Safety Notice Surge Protectors" for a case study by the USCG of fires caused by surge protectors. But, the short of it is that on ships, the "neutral" wire is not connected to the "ground" wire like in your home, so the semi-conductors in the surge protector can be subjected to "reverse voltage" when a ground occurs anywhere else on the ship. These MOV semi-conductors are not designed for reverse voltages, and they will quickly fail in "thermal overload" which will overheat the power strip and can cause a fire. None of the ship's electronics are protected by surge protectors, as they are not needed. Because of the difference in grounding, even when lightning strikes the ship (and I've been on several when struck), it does not enter the electrical system, but flows through the hull to sea.

While I have discussed this on virtually every deep sea cruise forum here, this is the first time it has come up on the river forum, so its not surprising that it is an unknown topic.

If you search either "surge suppressors" or "surge protectors" or look at any of my thousands of posts on this topic you'll get a full explanation. The reason is that surge protectors are not needed on ships, don't serve any function, and can unless they are of a specific marine design, can become a fire hazard. You can also google "USCG Safety Notice Surge Protectors" for a case study by the USCG of fires caused by surge protectors. But, the short of it is that on ships, the "neutral" wire is not connected to the "ground" wire like in your home, so the semi-conductors in the surge protector can be subjected to "reverse voltage" when a ground occurs anywhere else on the ship. These MOV semi-conductors are not designed for reverse voltages, and they will quickly fail in "thermal overload" which will overheat the power strip and can cause a fire. None of the ship's electronics are protected by surge protectors, as they are not needed. Because of the difference in grounding, even when lightning strikes the ship (and I've been on several when struck), it does not enter the electrical system, but flows through the hull to sea.

While I have discussed this on virtually every deep sea cruise forum here, this is the first time it has come up on the river forum, so its not surprising that it is an unknown topic.

Thanks for this. This is certainly all news to me and of course, all makes perfect sense once you know. I had been thinking that the boat power could be variable depending on engines and thus the need for a surge protector. Have never tried using one and you can be certain I will not in the future Thanks

Thanks for this. This is certainly all news to me and of course, all makes perfect sense once you know. I had been thinking that the boat power could be variable depending on engines and thus the need for a surge protector. Have never tried using one and you can be certain I will not in the future Thanks

While the power onboard may vary in both voltage, and more commonly the frequency, it does not approach the "clamping voltages" where a surge protector kicks in (typically 300 volts for a nominal 120 volt surge protector. This means that the generator, which produces 10,000 volts would have to surge to 25,000 volts to produce 300 volts at the outlet. That kind of 250% voltage surge just doesn't happen, no matter what sudden load is placed on or taken off the generators.

We're on Viking Rhine Getaway and wondering about extension cord. My husband uses a CPAP. We always travel with an extension cord because there is not always a electrical outlet located close enough to the bed. Any concerns with a standard cord without surge protector?

I realize that I put this in the wrong thread, so I will repeat it here.

If the power strip is just a power strip and not a surge protector is it safe? I have a 3 outlet and USB port strip that I travel with, because my camera battery charger needs an actual plug, and I also have my phone and my iPod. I find it very helpful in hotels because frequently the only available outlet is out of the way, and this has a (short) extension cord that frequently gets me to somewhere a little more convenient to plug things in.

We're on Viking Rhine Getaway and wondering about extension cord. My husband uses a CPAP. We always travel with an extension cord because there is not always a electrical outlet located close enough to the bed. Any concerns with a standard cord without surge protector?

n't

We were on the Viking Kvasir back end of May for the Rhine Getaway, and there is are both a US and European power outlet on either side of the bed. I also have CPAP, and did not need it. Still bring an extension cord as you may need it for the hotel pre- or post-trip. My CPAP has a 2-prong 110-230V power brick, so a 2-prong, 3 outlet extension cord is what I pack. As long as it is a simple outlet extender with no electronics, I see no reason it should be ok.

For most cruise lines, a simple extension cord, in good condition, is fine. For a CPAP, the typical household "lamp cord" flat wire cord is okay, but if you're using the megawatt hair dryer, the heavy duty round wire type (think shop or garden) is better able to carry the current.

I realize that I put this in the wrong thread, so I will repeat it here.

If the power strip is just a power strip and not a surge protector is it safe? I have a 3 outlet and USB port strip that I travel with, because my camera battery charger needs an actual plug, and I also have my phone and my iPod. I find it very helpful in hotels because frequently the only available outlet is out of the way, and this has a (short) extension cord that frequently gets me to somewhere a little more convenient to plug things in.

Without knowing what brand you are referring to, I can't answer completely. I have found that most units that combine power outlets with USB outlets are surge protected. Some Monster products are among those that aren't, but not all Monster products. Telltales are in the fine print on the unit, where if it says things like "joules of protection" or "clamping voltage", then it is surge protected.

On the subject of power strips without surge protectors, since this is about the first foray on the river forum concerning these items, let me just make one statement. A US type power strip with an "on/off" switch (which is also a circuit breaker), will not completely protect either your electronics or yourself from overcurrent. This is because a US circuit breaker only opens the "hot" conductor, since the neutral is at the same potential as the ground. On a ship, or in Europe, a 220 volt circuit has no neutral, but two "hot" conductors, so when your power strip pops, it only opens half the circuit, and you might become the other half. European 220v power strips (which is what the crew uses) typically have a switch/circuit breaker that opens both legs. These are available by googling, in the US for about $15-20.

For most cruise lines, a simple extension cord, in good condition, is fine. For a CPAP, the typical household "lamp cord" flat wire cord is okay, but if you're using the megawatt hair dryer, the heavy duty round wire type (think shop or garden) is better able to carry the current.

Without knowing what brand you are referring to, I can't answer completely. I have found that most units that combine power outlets with USB outlets are surge protected. Some Monster products are among those that aren't, but not all Monster products. Telltales are in the fine print on the unit, where if it says things like "joules of protection" or "clamping voltage", then it is surge protected.

It is a Monster Outlets to Go (not the current model) with a short cord that wraps around and plugs into one of the outlets for storage. I'll have to see what I can find on the model itself.