Australians booking first ever US cruise - need advice

Hi

Very excited that we are planning a trip to the US next April. At the moment our plan is to fly to LA, tour around for 2 weeks (San Fran. maybe Vegas etc) then spend the last week relaxing on a cruise to the Mexican Riviera. I love hunting for Australian cruise bargains but finding it hard to work out how best to book a US cruise and also when is the best time to cruise and what prices are reasonable.

We have 3 kids who'll be aged 8, 11 and 14 years next year. We'll be looking for a bargain rather than something fancy.

Any advice from other Aussies who've done similar. Which lines should we look at? We liked Carnival Australia but unsure if Carnival US will be similar or not. Thank you.

I wonder if "Spring Break" is something you need to be mindful of around that time of year. I gather that it's something like "Schoolies Week" in Australia. I've read on some of the other Cruise Critic boards about people avoiding Spring Break cruises.

Just checked and luckily spring break is Mar and early April so we will miss it as looking at end of April. FAyfam did you book direct or through an agency?

Spring break is bigger on some cruise lines than others but as you're looking at a cruise with lots of activities for the kids be aware you could still run into College overload.

That cruise was booked through an agent based in Vancouver but previously we had booked through NCL direct. I think we received a great deal & extra onboard credit from the agent. We paid approx. 1000 each for a balcony room when the AU dollar was on par with the US dollar.

Kerry :)

We got a great deal with a fly cruise for $2,799 we got a flight to America then on to Vegas for three days and then a seven night cruise to the Mexican Rivera on RCI so keep a look out sometimes its cheaper doing a fly cruise deal and tweaking it to fit your plans

I'll second NCL for the cruise. It's less formal than the other cruise lines and that suits our style. You don't have to dress for dinner (no formal nights) which means less packing :)

Regarding your pre-cruise, the western US has several beautiful national parks. If you're interested in that sort of thing, you could drive from SF to Yosemite, then to Death Valley and on to Vegas. I can post more details if you're interested.

I'll second NCL for the cruise. It's less formal than the other cruise lines and that suits our style. You don't have to dress for dinner (no formal nights) which means less packing :)

Regarding your pre-cruise, the western US has several beautiful national parks. If you're interested in that sort of thing, you could drive from SF to Yosemite, then to Death Valley and on to Vegas. I can post more details if you're interested.

Yes please Other Tom, this is exactly our kind of thing. Would love some tips.

I'll check out NCL, had not considered them before. Also hadn't considered fly cruise deal. Thank you all so much. Love this site for great advice and feeding my holiday research bug.

If you're looking at cruising to mexico from L.A, Carnival is probably one of the better options. If you liked Carnival Australia, you'll be at home on Carnival USA as this is where the Oz based ships and crew have previously sailed in. Everything is pretty much the same. You will find some of the guests are a lot more patriotic about their country/team sports, etc, but not in a bad way. You will see lots of team caps/flags etc. I have been on the miracle and splendor for mex riviera cruises. I think the Splendor may be sailing back out of LA by early next year. I liked the Miracle but prefer the Splendor more, bigger ship and a few more options on board. Carnival sails from Long Beach which is about a half hour out of LA.

We have done 2 Carnival cruises during spring break.I was a bit worried about it. Wasn't any different to any other cruise we have done. Plenty of kids but we never saw much of them. They did like to crowd out the spas but that happens here in Australia as well and not just on Carnival.From our experience it was nothing like the schoolies you see on the news reports. You will have a great time no matter who you cruise with.

Yes please Other Tom, this is exactly our kind of thing. Would love some tips.

I'll check out NCL, had not considered them before. Also hadn't considered fly cruise deal. Thank you all so much. Love this site for great advice and feeding my holiday research bug.

OK, a few quick thoughts. I'll try to do some research and post more later.

Spend a day in SF. Take the cable car to Lombard Street and then on to Fisherman's Wharf.

Rent a car and drive to Yosemite, probably taking CA 140. Yosemite is known for it's glacier carved valley which is generally accessible all year long. The high country will probably be snowed in so the roads will be closed, but the water falls in the valley should be good in late April. After the valley loop, continue on 140 toward Wawona. Stop on the right just before entering the tunnel and take in the view. If Glacier point road is open, take it to the end. Then return to CA 140 and head toward Fresno (left turn) but do not exit the park. As you near the park exit, continue straight and enter the Mariposa Grove of giant Sequoias. Spectacular. If it's closed, make your way to Sequoia National park and drive along the general's highway. You may have to go to Fresno and then back up to do that if some of the roads are closed due to snow. In any event, you must see the giant Sequoias.

You can then make your way to Death Valley and on to Vegas if you are so inclined. Since you have a desert in the middle of Oz, I'm not sure how interested you'd be in Death Valley. And to me, Vegas it too "artificial". Personally I didn't like Vegas but to each his own.

Thanks OtherTom. That sounds excellent and I've found we can fly direct to SF from Sydney with United so that might be an option rather than having a connection after a long haul flight. I'm also a bit dubious about Vegas also but I thought the kids might like fake Venice and the roller coaster in the shopping centre type things. Embarrassingly as a city dweller I have never been to the desert in Australia, it is a very long drive from Sydney.

Another American here.

The advice about San Francisco is very good. Best to start there before renting a car. Public transportation is excellent, but parking is scarce & expensive.

Then you can rent a car to head out for the rest of your trip.

Yosemite NP will be spectacular in late April. But don't plan on traveling over Tioga Pass, north of the valley. It usually is snow packed until mid May at the earliest. Didn't open until June this year.

If Glacier Point is open, it is a must see. You will be able to view the valley floor as well as Half Dome, Yosemite Falls, Nevada Falls, & Vernal Falls.

If it is closed, you will be able to go as far as Badger Pass Ski Area.

The loop road in the valley will be cleared of snow, so no worries there.

If you plan to lodge in Yosemite, you should plan to book as soon as possible.

The Nat'l Park fees are currently $20 to $30 per park. I think Yosemite is $30. The pass is valid for 7 consecutive days, and is per vehicle...not per passenger.

www.nps.gov

My 2 cents... I love Vegas and my teenage boy really enjoys it too. He liked the rollercoaster and the strip atmosphere. There is an M&Ms shop and coca cola world which appeals to kids. We all enjoyed Mob Museum. I had Fremont Street recommended to me but I didn't like it, too seedy but it has a zip line which might appeal. It is close enough that if you are going to the Grand Canyon (and why wouldn't you, it's amazing) then you may as well check Vegas out but a couple of days is probably plenty with kids. San Fran is beautiful but expensive. Our highlights were Segway tour and Alcatraz. If you want to do Alcatraz book it before you leave, it is very popular and sells out. We bought our tickets as a combo with the big red bus tour for a discount and that bus tour is really good for seeing points of interest.

If you decide to visit the Grand Canyon, be sure to visit the South Rim & not the West Rim.

The West Rim is not part of the Nat'l Park Service, but the South Rim is.

West Rim is on Hualapai sovereign land, & they charge about $40 per person to visit. And that is just the entrance fee...does not include other services.

Also, you must drive several miles on a gravel road...car rental companies do not like that.

The South Rim is the famous part of the park. And it will require an overnight stay from Las Vegas.

Thank you. Have been looking on Google maps and I am so excited. The NPs look beautiful!

You're welcome, & yes the NPs are very beautiful.

Also, you will need to book your Alcatraz tickets ASAP, as it is very popular.

Here is the website for the NPS approved consessioner:

http://www.alcatrazcruises.com/tour-options