New Gate 1 River Ship 'Monarch Empress'

Oak Hill Cruisers

We will be doing Amsterdam to Budapest on Monach Baroness June 18, this is our river cruise 101 so we are really looking forward to it. Anyone got anything to report on this particular boat will be most welcome.

cheers

irene

• 1 month later...
We will be doing Amsterdam to Budapest on Monach Baroness June 18, this is our river cruise 101 so we are really looking forward to it. Anyone got anything to report on this particular boat will be most welcome.

cheers

irene

We will be doing the same cruise and ship on the 29th of July, I take it there is no roll call for this particular trip. Our first river cruise although but we are experienced on ocean cruises.

We will be doing the same cruise and ship on the 29th of July, I take it there is no roll call for this particular trip. Our first river cruise although but we are experienced on ocean cruises.

We just got back from the Ams to Bud cruise on The Empress. It was very nice but I think the Baroness will be as good or better. I didn't notice until we got home that the cabins are a bit bigger on the "leased" boats.

This was our first riverboat cruise (we've done Ocean cruises for many years). It was completely different than an Ocean cruise except you get to unpack once,which is a joy. The Ams to Bud cruise goes through 68 locks. Day and night. Most aren't too big but near the end there are a couple that are almost 100 feet high. We found everything really interesting and the land tours are top notch. I didn't want it to end!

Enjoy yourselves.

Last week the automobile reviewer in the Wall Street Journal reported on a Ferrari GTC4Lusso. [Work with me on this -- it does get relevant!] This week he covered the new Subaru Impreza:

Truly, the 2017 Subaru Impreza 5-Door and the Lusso have a lot in common. The Ferrari is powered by a 680-hp V12 engine. The Subaru also has an engine.

Ocean cruises and River cruises have the same amount of stuff in common: they both involve vessels that float on water. :D

• 2 weeks later...
I did the river cruise in 2007 Amsterdam to Budapest and had a wonderful time. Yes it was cold but beautiful. Snow in many places but dress appropriately and you will be ok. Think we left Amsterdam mid November and the Christmas markets were up and running in most towns.

Haven't been on gate 1 as they are not well known in Australia. However I just booked the same cruise on monarch baroness for October 2017 taking 7 friends.

Very happy to be repeating the same itinerary.

Can anyone give me some info on the company gate1.

It was such a great price we really didn't stop to think and now I'm worrying about what I have done. Absolutely recommend the itinerary for first river cruise.

We are going to on the Baroness Oct 8 th Amsterdam to Basel. First river cruise for us. We have done two Gate 1 land tours in Thailand & Vietnam. Didn't hesitate to book this cruise based on land tours.

We are booked with Gate 1 for a land tour/Danube river cruise on the Monarch Empress in September. So far I've been impressed with the company both on the phone and online response and info. The hotels all look good and appear to be in good locations for venturing out on foot. I'll be posting a review when I return. I had my eye on this trip for at least four years and finally booked it in January. It's been sold out for a while.

Hello Marigold,

Are you starting in Budapest and ending in Prague? We are. Sept 15-27...

What a fabulous trip we had. We started in Warsaw and ended in Prague. Did you see my review? Hope your trip is as wonderful as ours. BTW, we had weather from hot and sunny to cool and rainy and plenty in between. Layers is the way to go. There was plenty of room under the bed for suitcases, but since so much of our trip was land with 1-3 days in each hotel, we traveled fairly light. A 22", 24" and an underseat size carry on each.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
We are going to on the Baroness Oct 8 th Amsterdam to Basel. First river cruise for us. We have done two Gate 1 land tours in Thailand & Vietnam. Didn't hesitate to book this cruise based on land tours.

Hi, we are Chris and Julie. We are also the 8 October Amsterdam to Basel. We are doing the land only and have arranged our own flights and accommodation. We arrive Amsterdam on morning to the 6th so have a couple of days to recover from the 22 hour flight.

Hi, we are Chris and Julie. We are also the 8 October Amsterdam to Basel. We are doing the land only and have arranged our own flights and accommodation. We arrive Amsterdam on morning to the 6th so have a couple of days to recover from the 22 hour flight.

We have also arranged our own accommodation . Flights are arranged by Ocean cruise we embark on Oct 21 . We're only coming from Canada. We arrive on the 6 th. This is our 1 st. river cruise. From Basel we take a train to Zurich to fly to Prague.Staying 5 days in Prague and then flying to Barcelona to embark on the Royal Princess cruise ship. 15 day Spanish Passage TA to Ft. Lauderdale.

We are Ollie & Murray traveling with our friends Maureen & Duffy.

Ciao :D:D:D

• 4 weeks later...

cheers

irene

We are taking same ship from Amsterdam to Budapest. I would appreciate hearing about your experienced both good and bad. What tours did you do? Thanks in advance

We leave Amsterdam July 29th on the Monarch Baroness. This is the trip that ends in Budapest. Prior to going home we are going back to Vienna for a couple of days.

Would very much appreciate and recommendations or experiences including optional tours.

Please refer to my review on the following link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=53514463#post53514463

We leave Amsterdam July 29th on the Monarch Baroness. This is the trip that ends in Budapest. Prior to going home we are going back to Vienna for a couple of days.

Would very much appreciate and recommendations or experiences including optional tours.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been looking for any information on on board costs. What are the drink prices like at the bar? Are there any thing else that you must pay extra for on the ship? Do they allow you to bring your own drinks on board (water, wine, soda, alcohol) Any help anyone can give that have been on one of these cruises would be appreciated!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

cocktails run 6 to 9 euros with some specials at lower prices and a one time 2 for 1 happy hour special. You can bring your own liquor and wine but don't expect to drink it in the bar. Unlimited wine is available at dinner but the quality varies. Of course you can bring on soft drinks. They give you two bottles of water in your room daily.

cocktails run 6 to 9 euros with some specials at lower prices and a one time 2 for 1 happy hour special. You can bring your own liquor and wine but don't expect to drink it in the bar. Unlimited wine is available at dinner but the quality varies. Of course you can bring on soft drinks. They give you two bottles of water in your room daily.
Thanks for the reply! It was hard to find any information on the prices or what was allowed on board.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone posting on this thread! I'm sailing on the Monarch Empress on October 8th but, as Gate 1 has just recently started offering cruises, it's been tough to find many details on the ship, amenities, excursions, etc. I had planned to post a list of questions, but all have been answered in this thread by the very helpful travelers of Cruise Critic. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am Gail. My husband, Mark and I are booked on the 14 day Budapest to Prague Danube on the Monarch Empress May 10,2018.

This will be our first River Cruise.

Have done 2 land trips with Gate 1 and was very pleased.

We booked many of the optional trips.

Anyone else on this trip Monarch Empress May 10, 2018 ???

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Cee Tee - We are on the Gate One Monarch Princess Departs 5/22/2018 from Budapest to Amsterdam. We selected to stay at the Bohem Art Hotel which is just a block from the Butterfly Home and also near the Central Market. The Bohem provided Airport pickup in Budapest, breakfast each day, and a welcome cocktail by booking direct on their website.

I was curious about the Tour of Budapest that Gate 1 offers on the first morning before you depart. Did not want to book a tour during our 3 day pre-stay in Budapest that would be a repeat. Thanks BZtraveler - Houston Tx

• 3 months later...
Hi, we are Don & Erica (docandbabe) and are sailing on the Monarch Empress on May 13, 2018 out of Budapest on the Danube to Vilshofen, DE. Anyone else sailing on this date???

Hi We are cruising on the Monarch Empress this September 15th and as this is our first River Cruise, we had a couple of questions.

1) What time do the tours start in the morning, or how early should we be up and ready?

2) Is there a tour offered by Gate 1 in Budapest, which is our departure city?

3) What time can you board the ship on the day of cruise departure?

4) When the ship arrives in Vilshofen, how early can you get off the ship to leave for the airport? We have a flight leaving at 10:15 from Munich and wondered if we will be able to use the transfer service we bought from Gate 1 or if we will have to leave extra early and find our own transportation. Thinking we will need to leave around 6 a.m. to be at the airport two hours before the flight takes off. Is it possible to get the transfer that early?

Thank you so much and any other thoughts you want to share about this trip will be much appreciated as there is little info about it.

4) When the ship arrives in Vilshofen, how early can you get off the ship to leave for the airport? We have a flight leaving at 10:15 from Munich and wondered if we will be able to use the transfer service we bought from Gate 1 or if we will have to leave extra early and find our own transportation. Thinking we will need to leave around 6 a.m. to be at the airport two hours before the flight takes off. Is it possible to get the transfer that early?

Thank you so much and any other thoughts you want to share about this trip will be much appreciated as there is little info about it.

Vilshofen to Munich Airport is normally about 2 hour drive, you will be in the middle of the morning rush hour (if not travelling on a Saturday or Sunday). Other points to remember that airlines close their check in 30 to 60 minutes before departure, also so early in the morning the security lines can be long because of business travellers.

Just some points to bare in mind.

Thank you GMT, we will be returning on a Sunday so hopefully two hours to get to the airport in Munich will be enough, and we will make sure we arrive at least two hours ahead of flight time. Our flight is 10:15 so I wanted to try to leave the ship at 6 or 6:15. My question was more about what time we are able to get off the ship, i.e. do they actually let people off as early as 6 a.m.? And will they have their transportation ready to go at 6 or 6:15 a.m., because we had pruchased a transfer through Gate 1 and I didn't know if they would do transfers that early in the morning.

If he stop in Vilshofen is an overnighter then you can usually leave when you want. The boatis normally have an early riser / leaver breakfast available.

Contact Gate 1 with regards to the transfer.

Have a good cruise.