11:15am flight out of SYD

We booked a cruise and got a very good airfare rate however the flight leaving Sydney is at 11:15am. We always walk off the ship with our luggage. My plan is as soon as we dock at 6am we will wait to leave the ship and walk off. If we walk off at 7am or 7:30 as soon as we can disembark we will grab a cab and go straight to airport.

For all you experts does this sound doable?

We booked a cruise and got a very good airfare rate however the flight leaving Sydney is at 11:15am. We always walk off the ship with our luggage. My plan is as soon as we dock at 6am we will wait to leave the ship and walk off. If we walk off at 7am or 7:30 as soon as we can disembark we will grab a cab and go straight to airport.

For all you experts does this sound doable?

Wnere are you flying to?

I expect the OP could be flying to USA. It might be doable but I would definately not want to end my holiday with the anxiety of not knowing. A couple of years ago my sister was delayed several hours coming back to Sydney from a cruise around New Zealand due to bad weather.

Major panic, she missed her domestic flight which was about 1.30 pm ish. I was in Melbourne trying to book her on another flight which fortunately I managed to do early evening. No point claiming on insurance as her excess was more than the new flight. We are arriving into Rome in a few weeks and rather than taking the risk are staying an extra night prior to our flight to Munich. Just not worth the worry for the sake of a few dollars on top of the expense of a cruise and flights. If all goes to plan you might make it but if one small thing holds you up its not going to work. I wouldn't even consider a domestic flight at 11.15 am. I usually book flights around 2 pm or later when arriving into Sydney, but even that is still a bit of a risk as my sisters experience showed. We have been advised by emirates we need to be at the airport min of 3 hours prior for our flight in a few weeks, that would have you needing to be at the airport before 8.15 am.

For domestic flights out if Sydney I wouldn't fly before 12noon but international I agree to either have a late afternoon flight or have a nice night in a hotel and fly out the next day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If its international flight. Very iffy. Too many variables. I be looking to catch the train. That way you eliminate traffic issue. Domestic flight I have done it before but rather book a flight from 12 pm on wards. Cause the ship can be delayed.

Other factor you have to contend with is you might have to wait for a taxi too.

If the 3 hour security checkin is still in place for international flights, no margin of error.

Boat has to be on time, no delays in clearance, no delay in getting ashore, no delay with customs/imm, one delay with a taxi or the drive.

I think it should be doable IF everything goes according to plan but there is little margin for error.

As someone else has suggested, I'd take the train from Circular Quay to the International Airport as I think it would be quicker than a taxi that time of day.

Personally I'd feel more comfortable with a later flight. Do you have a contingency plan? If you've purchased this as a package deal, does your TA guarantee the connection? What's your travel insurance like?

I suggest that the OP check on-line with their airline on the minimum check-in time. On a very recent international flight our latest check-in time was two hours before so I would not assume it is three hours.

The OP said they would disembark with their luggage. This means they can be first off. They are on a cruise that comes into Sydney. A couple of weeks ago we had rough weather that could have delayed our arrival into Sydney. The captain apologised that we had had to travel at a slightly higher speed than he liked for the conditions, but we had to make our 'time-slot' to get into Sydney. He delayed the pick-up for the pilot by 30 minutes but he could not be any later because we had to be docked by 6.30am or otherwise wait until after 9.30am because of rush hour ferry traffic on Sydney Harbour. With a 6.30 arrival, the first people would usually disembark by 7.15, but you could easily be up to 30 minutes earlier than that. Let's work on 7am disembarkation because it is likely you will dock at 6am (not 6.30).

To go through customs etc. is very quick. Allow 15 minutes. When you exit the terminal, the taxis will be immediately outside along the street. They don't have time to get into a taxi rank. As they drop people off, they are ready to take a new fare. The only slight delay you might have is if it is too early for many new passengers to arrive. However, I think there would be taxis there that have just dropped someone into the city and they come to the terminal because the driver knows there will be people wanting a cab. If you do not see a taxi right there, look for the man in the fluro vest who is directing the taxis and cars and nicely ask him what's the quickest way to get a taxi. We did this on a previous cruise where we were running late. The man asked us to wait a minute and he signalled a taxi to come to us. It was there in a couple of minutes. But I will be a pessimist and suggest you might have to wait 15 minutes for a taxi. We are now at 7.30

There will be delays in the streets immediately after you leave the cruise terminal. We were there two weeks ago and there are roadworks relating to the building of a light rail system. Count on a 15 minute delay here. To save time, ask the taxi driver to go via the tunnels. You have to pay a few dollars (might be as high as $8 but I cannot remember for sure) but it is much faster. I would normally allow 30 minutes to get to the airport, but with the roadworks, I estimate 45 minutes. We are now at 8.15.

If your check-in time for your flight stipulates three hours prior, then you would have very little lee-way. Probably too close for comfort. If your latest check-in is 9.15, then I think it is doable, but only because you would be self-embarking at the earliest time available. Sorry for the long-winded reply, but I wanted to explain my reasoning.:)

When is the cruise? A couple of weeks ago we were told to be at the airport one hour earlier than required by the airlines due to increased security because of terrorist threats. This has been lifted for the time being but could be put back in place at any time.

So for international flights they were telling you to be at the airport 4 hours prior to departure time! The queues to get through security were enormous.

Can you get on a later flight without penalty if you are late to the airport?

How many days did congestion at the airports last? I believe it was only a few.

On Friday 28th July there was a report of a terrorist plot involving an international Etihad flight. We heard that there were queues at Sydney airport on the Saturday and Sunday. When we went to the airport on Wednesday 2nd August there were fewer people than we are used to seeing. There wasn't even anyone waiting in line to go through security. We went straight through. :)

It is highly unlikely that another such incident would occur just on the day (or the previous day) that the OP plans to travel.

It is highly unlikely that another such incident would occur just on the day (or the previous day) that the OP plans to travel.

Agreed, it's one of the risks that they would choose to wear. All of them are in the minority - but it's always possible one of them could happen.

I am leaving Sydney flying to Lax my airline said arrive two hours prior to departure. I am booking LuxCar company to pick us up at the dock and drive us straight to the International terminal.

I certainly hope all goes to plan, perhaps a contingency plan may be needed just n case.

As another poster mentioned, If your ship is late into Sydney and misses the deadline to dock because of peak hour ferries, it will be after 9.30am I think before that can happen. It happened to us a few years ago but fortunately our ship was small enough to go under the Harbour bridge and we were able to dock at white Bay. We were still late but not as late as we would have been if we had to wait for the ferries.

Leigh

If it's the cruise showing in the OPs signature then they are arriving in Sydney on a Sunday so there may not be any rush hour ferry restrictions. However the ship is coming straight to Sydney from NZ so I hope the Tasman behaves itself for them - it should be OK in February.

The timing is doable but risky and I must admit if it was me I'd stay overnight in Sydney and fly home the next day.

I would not take the risk. It is just too foolish and irresponsible for an international flight just to get a cheap fare and that is my blunt assessment of the situation. Assuming it is Ovation of the Seas you are cruising on complicates the matter as it carries a minimum of 4,180 passengers and you are just a part of many others who are going to want to get off early.

Given the current terror raids in Sydney this last month and talk of increased security at our airports when the government is advising travelers to get to the airports early makes the plan look even more foolish and irresponsible.

I personally would not take the risk. No cheap airfare is worth the stress, hassle and even thought of missing a flight because of tight running schedules.

You want to hope that your luggage makes it off the ship in time, that the ship actually docks on time and that there is not a crash on any of the roads leading to the airport leading to a major delay.

Lastly I certainly hope you are not put in the embarrassing position of begging others at the airport to let you push in and check in ahead of them, push in at immigration and push in at security. That would be rather embarrassing to have to ask other passengers to make way for you because you booked your timing too close to make the schedule.

I would not take the risk. It is just too foolish and irresponsible for an international flight just to get a cheap fare and that is my blunt assessment of the situation. Assuming it is Ovation of the Seas you are cruising on complicates the matter as it carries a minimum of 4,180 passengers and you are just a part of many others who are going to want to get off early.

Given the current terror raids in Sydney this last month and talk of increased security at our airports when the government is advising travelers to get to the airports early makes the plan look even more foolish and irresponsible.

I personally would not take the risk. No cheap airfare is worth the stress, hassle and even thought of missing a flight because of tight running schedules.

You want to hope that your luggage makes it off the ship in time, that the ship actually docks on time and that there is not a crash on any of the roads leading to the airport leading to a major delay.

Lastly I certainly hope you are not put in the embarrassing position of begging others at the airport to let you push in and check in ahead of them, push in at immigration and push in at security. That would be rather embarrassing to have to ask other passengers to make way for you because you booked your timing too close to make the schedule.

We are walking off with our luggage as previously mentioned.

We are walking off with our luggage as previously mentioned.

Have you checked that the cruise line and port authorities will allow you to do this?

Are you aware that the ship may be prohibited from supplying staff to assist you in doing this?

There may be restrictions in place that certain sizes and types of luggage you are allowed to carry off with you.

Have you checked that the cruise line and port authorities will allow you to do this?

Are you aware that the ship may be prohibited from supplying staff to assist you in doing this?

There may be restrictions in place that certain sizes and types of luggage you are allowed to carry off with you.

I am puzzled by your comments. On every cruise ship we have been on in the last few years, passengers have been allowed to self-disembark, that is, without staff assisting them. They go off the ship first.

I am puzzled by your comments. On every cruise ship we have been on in the last few years, passengers have been allowed to self-disembark, that is, without staff assisting them. They go off the ship first.

Agreed, there's no issue getting off early with Royal Caribbean, nor at OPT.

Perhaps 'Brisbane41' is overly risk averse.