Bed configuration

Hi everyone, we are heading off on our 1st cruise in June next year and our kids will be 2 and 4 (nearly 5). For our MSC balcony room we have the option of the 3rd and 4th beds being either a double sofa bed or a single sofa bed and an upper berth.

After any thoughts on what you think would work best given the kids ages and if any one has experience with either configuration.

Cheers

Double sofa! We've got 7YO twins, and this is one of the things that has drawn us to MSC over the last few years. We have still cruised Carnival more for variety, but we love kids both being able to sleep in a real bed.

And the Kids Sail Free, of course. :D

Just asking but for the 2 year old won't you need some type of pack and play in the room.

For our grand children who accompanied us along with their parents on a family cruise ( a different cruise line) we needed pack and plays for the two grand children who were each close to 2 and 1/2 years old.

Keith

We stopped using PnP on cruises, and in hotels, before our kids were 2 years old. We are in a slightly different situation because we have twins, and 2 PnPs in most cruise cabins leaves you with almost no floor space.

Also, as you say these are usually PnPs which are smaller than a crib and can become cramped for a 2YO. I don't know what MSC provides.

For a couple years, we put them on the 'single' size mattress on the floor and had one sleep with their head at each end. Our daughter would have been fine early on, but DS moves around quite a lot. Still does, which is why we won't let them use the upper yet (at nearly 8YO).

With a sofa bed, we still generally put them sideways from the normal sleeping orientation with DS on the couch end so he'll be blocked in 3 directions and his sister will be in the way if he tries to fall off the other side.

Anyway, after my long winded opinion: a 2YO should be fine in a bed, though some may require pillow or inflatable borders to keep them from winding up on the floor.

If they do decide on the cruise that they need a PnP, there is a bit more room in these 'superior' balcony cabins that have the queen size sleeper.

I don't know about Norwegian beds, but Princess "twin" beds are actually narrower than real twin beds, and I couldn't fit on one with our then 4 yo kiddo.

He sleeps like a log and was fine using the upper Pullman bed, although I wouldn't advise putting a more active sleeper or a 2 yo into a Pullman bed.

Princess doesn't give you a choice for inside cabins, but if Norwegian gives you a choice - I would absolutely get a sofa bed for kids.