Stuff to do in Sydney

This list is awesome! Thanks to all that have contributed to it. We fly into Sydney early morning Monday, March 26 (2018) and set sail on Friday, March 30. So we will have a few days to see the area. This thread has been extremely helpful.

Which is preferable? Wildlife World at Darling Harbour or Featherdale Wildlife Park

Thanks,

Kathy

Wildlife world is more convenient (basically in the city).

I haven't been to either in a while so I wouldn't say which is better.

This list is awesome! Thanks to all that have contributed to it...This thread has been extremely helpful...Thanks, Kathy

Although this thread contains 'old' posts, the information is still valid...except...no one seems to have mentioned Luna Park...

Although this thread contains 'old' posts, the information is still valid...except...no one seems to have mentioned Luna Park...

One reason I didn't mention Luna Park is that you're never sure when it'll close down next.

From what I saw of Luna Park, I figured it was only a tourist trap?

It's more a city-based theme park. Good for those into rides, but not so much if you're not after that. Good location as well.

There's a lot bigger theme parks around, so not a key destination just for that but more if you're trying to balance say family activities with limited time.

We visited Sydney in 2013 and loved it. We are back in 2018 for two more cruises (NZ) and (Transpacific) and have six days in Melbourne and five in Sydney between cruises.

Questions:

1) I can't remember the name of the rooftop restaurant in the Rocks neighborhood with the great view of Circular Quay and the Opera House. It was on the West side of CQ and we had to walk up some flights of stairs. Food was good, but mainly bar food. Can anyone help me out?

2) What is a good place in the Sydney, not too far from the Rocks, CQ and immediate area to find the Aussie meat pies that we love?

In 2014 we stayed at the Four Seasons and could see I think the restaurant you are mentioning, however I don't know the name of it. It looked to us like a great place to have visited. We ate across the street at the Russel Hotel, although that is not the name on our bill.

We visited Sydney in 2013 and loved it. We are back in 2018 for two more cruises (NZ) and (Transpacific) and have six days in Melbourne and five in Sydney between cruises.

Questions:

1) I can't remember the name of the rooftop restaurant in the Rocks neighborhood with the great view of Circular Quay and the Opera House. It was on the West side of CQ and we had to walk up some flights of stairs. Food was good, but mainly bar food. Can anyone help me out?

2) What is a good place in the Sydney, not too far from the Rocks, CQ and immediate area to find the Aussie meat pies that we love?

You may be referring to the Glenmore Hotel, nice spot on Cumberland St, http://theglenmore.com.au/, not sure about your pies though.

• 1 month later...

My favourite thing to do in Sydney is to ride the public ferries, especially the little ones. From Circular Quay, you can take the ferry to Kirribili and Neutral Bay (past Governor's Residence and PM's Residence), Mossman Bay, McMahons Point, Milsons Point, Balmain, Watson's Bay via Rose Bay and Double Bay, Taronga Zoo (currently closed with an alternative wharf), and the big ferry to Manly.

With an Opal Card, the daily cap is only $15.40 per adult - a bargain for visitors. Pick up the Sydney Visitor Guide, which shows you how to explore Sydney and surrounds on public transport.

"With an Opal Card, You can visit north to Newcastle, west to Blue Mountains and south to Wollongong. Transport covers trains, buses, ferries and light rail across an area bigger than Switzerland, Holland or Taiwan."

http://www.transportnsw.info

http://www.opal.com.au

sydney.com

visitnsw.com

There is "a hole in the wall " coffee shop at circular quay that sells Harry's pies for takeaways. It fronts onto Alfred Street.

I can never find it, if I get time I’ll have a look tomorrow.

You'll discover just how many times you have walked past once you find the hole in the wall shop.

You can't miss it if you just walk along the footpath on the road (around the midway). Think it advertises best coffee and Harry's pies from memory. It is a one man/one woman concern - lovely people. Great to buy a pie and coffee for the Manly ferry, if it is meal time.

Adding a Harry’s meat pie from the “hole in the wall” place along Alfred street to the list along with the Opal information. Thanks again!

Just watched the Solstice arrive (web cam). For those of you sailing later today, have a great time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Adding a Harry’s meat pie from the “hole in the wall” place along Alfred street to the list along with the Opal information. Thanks again!

Just watched the Solstice arrive (web cam). For those of you sailing later today, have a great time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can also walk through the Botanical Gardens to the original Harry's Cafe de wheels pie cart at Woolloomooloo and sit on the edge of the original old wharf and eat it. Has quite a history of interesting people who have eaten there (at all hours).

harryscafedewheels.com.au

Bon Voyage for your cruise.

• 4 months later...
There is an Art Museum, the Maritime Museum and there is also the Australian Museum.
To be more specific, there is the Art Gallery of New South Wales, and separately the Museum of Contemporary Art. The latter is at Circular Quay so is very easy to get to if you're staying near or otherwise in the Rocks/Circular Quay area. The Art Gallery will feel a bit more difficult to get to if it's pouring with rain - but it's really not very far.

Also near Circular Quay is the Museum of Sydney. And if you look on the Sydney Living Museums website's list of their other places, any of the ones with a "2000" postcode will be in the city centre.

And over at Darling Harbour, there is the Powerhouse Museum.

Allied to the Powerhouse is a slightly counter-intuitive suggestion for a rainy day: the Sydney Observatory. There obviously won't be much to see if you look out, either by day or by night, but it does actually have an exhibition with lots of interesting things in it.

And for a completely off-the-wall suggestion, if you are interested in airline history then Qantas has an exhibition called the Qantas Heritage Collection at Terminal 3 at the airport. It's airside and you need to clear security to get there, but you do not need to have a boarding pass and you don't need to make special arrangements - and security at the domestic terminals does not have a liquids restriction so you don't even need to worry about water/drinks bottles. To minimise queuing time at security (at which queues are pretty rare anyway), there is a less-used security checkpoint in a less-than-obvious place: if you enter the check-in area from the roadway and face the check-in desks, you need to turn left and start walking towards that end of the building, and the security check-point is then to your left adjacent to the roadway.