Question about how far in advance to book river cruise. Please advise!

Bagbabe53

Welcome to Cruisecritic! I'm relatively new as well and tomorrow I will be putting my deposit on my first river cruise for December 2018, so I don't think it's too early to book for October 2018. Depending on the cabin level and cruise itinerary, they may sell out quickly. I'm doing a Danube Christmas market cruise on AMAwaterways and when I called last week to put a hold on a French balcony room, there were only a few left on the floor I wanted. I'm glad I decided to book sooner than later. :D

Have fun planning! This site has a wealth of information that I've found very helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello Claypot77,

May I please ask, did you book directly with AMA or through a travel agent?

Thank you!

Brian

Hi Brian, I booked directly w/ AMA. I considered going thru a travel agent and even spoke with one, who was very nice and I may use her for other aspects of the trip; however, I found out that if you book thru a travel agent then the TA has to be the one to talk to AMA every time. They told me I wouldn't be able to call in and make any changes if needed. It's safe to say I'm a planner and I like to be involved in every step of the process, so I didn't like the idea that I wouldn't be able to communicate and make changes directly with AMA. Enjoy your cruise! :D

Like with any cruise, it depends upon how particular you are. If time of year and itinerary are flexible, and you don't have specific needs as to your cabin, there is less urgency.

But if you have a limited time window lock it in!

I booked today and am flying out on Tuesday and the cruise begins in a week! I had no plan to travel but a cabin just opened and I saw it as fate. I plan to join my sister.

If you know the cruise, and the date(s) you want - then book when it becomes available. If you are somewhat flexible on date/time/line - then sometimes you can get a last minute deal. But, they are few and far between.

We tend to book about a year out. We look for itinerary, then dates - then price. I watch the cruises I am interested in - so that I have a sense of what the price will be - and then watch for a sale. We have done quite well doing this.

Most companies only ask for a deposit - with final payment due about 90 days ahead. The difference is Viking - as they usually ask for full payment shortly after booking. Some companies will offer a 5 to 10% discount if you pay in full after booking - but it is not required.

Have fun planning!!

Fran

Hi Brian, I booked directly w/ AMA. I considered going thru a travel agent and even spoke with one, who was very nice and I may use her for other aspects of the trip; however, I found out that if you book thru a travel agent then the TA has to be the one to talk to AMA every time. They told me I wouldn't be able to call in and make any changes if needed. It's safe to say I'm a planner and I like to be involved in every step of the process, so I didn't like the idea that I wouldn't be able to communicate and make changes directly with AMA. Enjoy your cruise! :D

I don't what that would mean. We booked AMA through a TA and had no problem going on their website and booking the Limited Edition tours before our voyage. What other changes would you be making?

I don't what that would mean. We booked AMA through a TA and had no problem going on their website and booking the Limited Edition tours before our voyage. What other changes would you be making?

Hi Jazzbeau! Since this is my first cruise, I didn't have any specific situations in mind, but was concerned that if I needed to cancel or had questions throughout the process that I wouldn't be able to speak to them directly. I just didn't like the feeling of not having the option to talk to them if I needed to. I'd rather go to the source directly than work thru a "middle-man/woman". Just my personal preference and since this is my first time going thru the process I like the idea of having full control and learning as I go. When I spoke with the TA, she was very nice but as we talked I noticed that everything she shared I already knew from this wonderful website and from my own research, plus I like being able to do all the bookings. Basically it just comes down to I'm a bit OCD about planning.;)

I understand your sentiment about wanting to be in control -- I am a very detailed planner myself. But I have found that my TA, who books lots of cruises with the vendor year after year, can get to 'yes' when I (especially on my first cruise with a new line) am told 'sorry, that's the rule.' Sometimes it's worth giving up a little control to have a powerful champion in your corner. Food for thought.

Most companies only ask for a deposit - with final payment due about 90 days ahead. The difference is Viking - as they usually ask for full payment shortly after booking.

... and Viking only seem to do that in the USA, elsewhere they do the same as everyone else and expect payment around 10-12 weeks before departure.

Even in the USA people report getting some adjustment in the time-line if they push back, which I would strongly suggest everyone does.

I understand your sentiment about wanting to be in control -- I am a very detailed planner myself. But I have found that my TA, who books lots of cruises with the vendor year after year, can get to 'yes' when I (especially on my first cruise with a new line) am told 'sorry, that's the rule.' Sometimes it's worth giving up a little control to have a powerful champion in your corner. Food for thought.

Thank you very much Claypot77 and Jazzbeau. I understand both of your perspectives. I usually book directly with the cruise line for my ocean cruises and handle all of the logistics for any land-based portion of the trip. Just wanted to clarify that the option exists to book directly with the river cruise line and that using a TA is not mandatory.

Cheers!

I would be interested in knowing what the benefits of a TA are for river cruising. I guess I will start a thread.

In my case, there was no time to loose. And the salesperson was able to waive the single supplement, the previous week, there was no "deal" when I asked, or special for the month of August, I took it and ran!

My wife and I have taken two Uniworld cruises and are booked for our third in January. Uniworld is outstanding in their service, food and amenities. I'd book ASAP so you will have a better selection of cabins. With Uniworld you have to book thru a travel agent.

We book directly through Uniworld, not a TA., so not sure where this poster got their information.

RB

Last week I booked the Viking 14 day from Budapest to Amsterdam for June 2018. I started with Viking directly and got a quote from them, currently an airfare included promotion is going on through August 31st. The Viking agent also offered to throw in a $200 OBC. I had her send me the quote in an email, and then I forwarded it to my TA. My TA later told me that the OBC should not have been offered but because I had it in writing Viking honored it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For $250 I am covered by my credit card's cancellation policy, and I won't buy cancellation insurance until I make the final payment. (That is what I did on my upcoming Vietnam and Cambodia trip.

One reason to get travel insurance as soon as you put any money down on a trip is that many policies waive pre-existing conditions in these cases. This is important if you or someone in your party (or even a close relative) has any pre-existing illnesses that could cause you to cancel your trip. I always get the policy immediately and then increase the coverage after my airfare is purchased and land arrangements are made.

One reason to get travel insurance as soon as you put any money down on a trip is that many policies waive pre-existing conditions in these cases. This is important if you or someone in your party (or even a close relative) has any pre-existing illnesses that could cause you to cancel your trip. I always get the policy immediately and then increase the coverage after my airfare is purchased and land arrangements are made.

One reason to use a TA is that Allianz lets them sell as policy that includes 'pre-existing' coverage right up to the day of final payment. So we only take out coverage as we pay non-refundable items (usually starting with airfare) and increase the coverage amount at final payment.

... and Viking only seem to do that in the USA, elsewhere they do the same as everyone else and expect payment around 10-12 weeks before departure.

Even in the USA people report getting some adjustment in the time-line if they push back, which I would strongly suggest everyone does.

It is in Canada as well. We had friends who asked to have the final payment delayed as the cruise was almost 16 months out - and Viking gave them a 3 month extension. Unfortunately for them, that is when the Canadian dollar tanked - so their final cost actually increased!!

Fran

One reason to use a TA is that Allianz lets them sell as policy that includes 'pre-existing' coverage right up to the day of final payment. So we only take out coverage as we pay non-refundable items (usually starting with airfare) and increase the coverage amount at final payment.

Interesting. The Allianz policy we got through our TA required purchase within 30 days of initial deposit, but we're able to increase it along the way as our non-refundable deposits increase.

• 4 months later...
We are going on our second Avalon river cruise in April 2019 and put a deposit down already. Mostly because I wanted to lock in the sale. We don't have to have it paid off until Jan 2019. Only had to deposit $500 so I'm not too stressed if something happens.

I was under the impression Avalon didn't have its 2019 pricing available yet -- at least that's what Avalon told me (they said March of this year it would be available). What sale?