Just back from Divina August 5, 2017 Sailing - Review

GadgetRick

We are doing our first trip to US and then 14 day on Seaside Caribbean cruise leaving the 21st April 18, so looking at the comments here what is the problem with Nassau and Cozumel as ports?

We are doing our first trip to US and then 14 day on Seaside Caribbean cruise leaving the 21st April 18, so looking at the comments here what is the problem with Nassau and Cozumel as ports?

Not so much a problem with the ports. Just that Nassau, well, just sucks. It's a total tourist trap with shops selling over-priced jewelry, watches, shirts, etc. People standing in front of the stores trying to pull you in.

Not a lot worth doing on the island. You could go over to Paradise Island but it's over $100 for the day to enjoy the water park. Problem is, you'll only have a few hours there because the ship is only in port for a limited time.

I mean, the beaches are nice so, if you're coming from somewhere you don't have beaches--or the beaches aren't all that nice--then you could go to the beach. I live in FL 5 miles from the beach so, while the beaches in the Caribbean are nicer than here, I don't need to go on vacation to go to the beach.

Cozumel is a bit better than Nassau as there is more to do but it's still kinda touristy. Last time we were there (December last year) we did an all-inclusive trip to Mr. Sanchos resort. It was better than walking through the shops area and better than most other things to do on the Island.

If you like SCUBA diving, you can do that at either of these locations. Unfortunately, I got bent many years ago (first trip to Cozumel actually) so I can no longer dive.

It's just that these two locations (especially) show everything that's wrong with most of the more Northern Caribbean islands.

Not so much a problem with the ports. Just that Nassau, well, just sucks. It's a total tourist trap with shops selling over-priced jewelry, watches, shirts, etc. People standing in front of the stores trying to pull you in.

Not a lot worth doing on the island. You could go over to Paradise Island but it's over $100 for the day to enjoy the water park. Problem is, you'll only have a few hours there because the ship is only in port for a limited time.

I mean, the beaches are nice so, if you're coming from somewhere you don't have beaches--or the beaches aren't all that nice--then you could go to the beach. I live in FL 5 miles from the beach so, while the beaches in the Caribbean are nicer than here, I don't need to go on vacation to go to the beach.

Cozumel is a bit better than Nassau as there is more to do but it's still kinda touristy. Last time we were there (December last year) we did an all-inclusive trip to Mr. Sanchos resort. It was better than walking through the shops area and better than most other things to do on the Island.

If you like SCUBA diving, you can do that at either of these locations. Unfortunately, I got bent many years ago (first trip to Cozumel actually) so I can no longer dive.

It's just that these two locations (especially) show everything that's wrong with most of the more Northern Caribbean islands.

Thanks GadgetRick ..... we live on an Island off the Australian coast, but have to say we are still very much beach people (hubby lives to fish and carry his Rod with him on every cruise we do) so if the beach is semi ok I suppose we will find something to do, and hopefully a pier to fish from :)

Save

Thanks GadgetRick ..... we live on an Island off the Australian coast, but have to say we are still very much beach people (hubby lives to fish and carry his Rod with him on every cruise we do) so if the beach is semi ok I suppose we will find something to do, and hopefully a pier to fish from :)

Save

Love Australia. Wife and I honeymooned there. Did Cairns and Sydney. Hoping to go back in a couple of years. :)

The beaches are nice on any of the islands for sure. Don't know about the fishing but I'm sure you can charter a boat in Cozumel for sure.

I actually love both ports. For Cozumel look up Nachi Cocom if you want a nice getaway from the crowds, they only allow about 100 people each day and you get personalized service and it's all inclusive for $55pp - but try to book now if you want it, it books up fast. Or if you want more adventure there is a really fun catamaran/beach/snorkel excursion you can do. The water in Cozumel is so pretty, some places there are rocky though when you enter the water.

In Nassau we liked the British Colonial Hilton, I think you can look it up at resort for a day dot com. Beautiful beach and water and you can walk there from the cruise area.

Love Australia. Wife and I honeymooned there. Did Cairns and Sydney. Hoping to go back in a couple of years. :)

The beaches are nice on any of the islands for sure. Don't know about the fishing but I'm sure you can charter a boat in Cozumel for sure.

Aussie is great...we are in Queensland just north of Brisbane, but originally from South Africa, which also has GREAT beaches. Will let hubby know about Cozumel ...sure he will do some research ;)

Save

Aussie is great...we are in Queensland just north of Brisbane, but originally from South Africa, which also has GREAT beaches. Will let hubby know about Cozumel ...sure he will do some research ;)

Save

No worries. Part of what is difficult for us is we've been there so many times as we live in FL, which is very close. So I guess we may be a bit spoiled. :)