Astoria, OR What to do in Port

Hi there, we are doing the Wine Country Coastal and did not see any shore excursions that sounded interesting. Has anyone done this port and have suggestions?

Thanks Carmen

We took the Astoria sponsored $7 HOHO trolley and spent about 3 hours at the Columbia River Maritime Museum. The downtown also has some interesting areas. Check out this website: http://www.oldoregon.com/visitor-info/

Hi there, we are doing the Wine Country Coastal and did not see any shore excursions that sounded interesting. Has anyone done this port and have suggestions?

Thanks Carmen

We found it a bit of a sleepy port and weather was not on our side. We very much enjoyed the Columbia River Museum, walking distance to the pier.

Astoria_Vistor_Map.jpg

You might check tripadvisor and frommers.

We did an all day ship sponsored excursion to Mt. St. Helens - it is a long (but very scenic) bus ride and once you get inside the blast zone the scenery on the miles and miles long ride to the visitors center is other-worldly. Make sure you see the movie in the visitors center - it is informative and touching and the end isn't to be missed. Being old enough to remember the eruption (we are:D) made it really special.

The Maritime Museum is very informative.

Across the steet from the Maritime Museum is the Bowpicker. It is a bowpicker boat parked on a vacant lot. Some of the best fish & chips we have had.

http://www.bowpicker.com/

Check out the Astoria Column. It was remodeled a few years ago.

There are several good brew pubs in town.

Josephsons Smokehouse has very good smoked fish. We like their canned teriyaki salmon and jerky.

http://www.josephsons.com/

Take a ride on the trolley to the end. It is fun turning it around.

Firehouse museum is a 15 minute tour.

The Goonies was filmed in Astoria.

http://www.astoriaoregon.com/

Edited by SadieN

Having just moved back to NoCal after living in Astoria for a few years, SadieN nailed really great activities in this sleepy WONDERFUL little city.

Also if in port on Sunday the Downtown Market is the best... and the Maritime Museum is world renowned and they are also working on the old train station to make it into a hands on museum to maritime related work, netting, boat making, all things maritime...

Enjoy this coastal jewel.

Carlene

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does your ship have a day trip to Seaside & Cannon Beach? I have a lot of friends that go to both regularly as they are great weekend destinations... I've been to Seaside for about 10 minutes and it's charming and colorful... I plan to take this excursion in May.

Does your ship have a day trip to Seaside & Cannon Beach? I have a lot of friends that go to both regularly as they are great weekend destinations... I've been to Seaside for about 10 minutes and it's charming and colorful... I plan to take this excursion in May.

It has a four hour shopping tour to the area - do not go on vacation to really shop. Not a fan of motor coach tours - how far is it? Can I do on my own?

Otherwise I think we will get the HOHO Trolly and explore pubs and sites on our own.

Thanks Carmen

It has a four hour shopping tour to the area - do not go on vacation to really shop. Not a fan of motor coach tours - how far is it? Can I do on my own?

Otherwise I think we will get the HOHO Trolly and explore pubs and sites on our own.

Thanks Carmen

Hi, the city of Cannon Beach is about 25 miles or so south of Astoria on Hwy 101. You would need a rental car. Cannon Beach is a charming, artsy small town, near Ecola State Park with Haystack Rock and other beautiful scenery. If you do decide to explore the North Coast via rental car, allow extra time for slow traffic on 101, a two-lane highway.

Hi, the city of Cannon Beach is about 25 miles or so south of Astoria on Hwy 101. You would need a rental car. Cannon Beach is a charming, artsy small town, near Ecola State Park with Haystack Rock and other beautiful scenery. If you do decide to explore the North Coast via rental car, allow extra time for slow traffic on 101, a two-lane highway.

The closest rental car company is Enterprise at 362 Marine Dr. They will pick you up and drop you back at the port.

We went to The Seafood School and learned how to cook different fish dishes. Very interesting.

We also grabbed a bus from downtown and went up to The Columns at the top of a hill and climbed the stairs inside.

We shopped right at the pier from local artisans and got a metal wall hanging one of the artists created with a bear and a moon on it.

Enjoy!

Fort Clatsop is an interesting place to visit as well. It is a recreation of where Lewis and Clark wintered before heading home.

I second the suggestion of Bowpicker for lunch. Excellent fish and chips. Line can be long though.

If you rent a car and are interested in light houses there are two in Cape Disappointment State Park just across the river in Washington. Several Lewis & Clark sites in this area as well.

A visit to the Flavel House is also interesting.

Joe

Walk down the trail that goes along the river. Find the Goonies house and take your pictures in front of it. Look back up the thread at that map and find the column and the trail that leads up through the forest to it. That's a beautiful walk up the hill to the column, and I think anyone who goes to Astoria shouldn't miss that. We've done it twice and both times the column stairs were closed, so we couldn't go to the top of that. I hope you have better luck.

I am interested in getting to the Goonies house via the trail.....can anyone be more specific about how to get there....directions?

The Goonies house is at

• 368 -38th St Astoria, OR 97103

According to mapquest that is about 3.2 miles one way from where the ship will dock at The Port of Astoria. It would take you through the downtown area.

When I met some people who came in on another cruise ship, there was a shuttle - not sure if it would take you there or not.

Joe

The Goonies house is at

• 368 -38th St Astoria, OR 97103

According to mapquest that is about 3.2 miles one way from where the ship will dock at The Port of Astoria. It would take you through the downtown area.

When I met some people who came in on another cruise ship, there was a shuttle - not sure if it would take you there or not.

Joe

Just looked at the map posted above. You could take the trolley to the end and walk up the hill. It's a big hill.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys, to those who will be going to Astoria Column, be aware there's 164 steps to climb when you get there.:eek:

True, however, the view from the base of the column is also wonderful. You can see the whole mouth of the Columbia River, across in to Washington State and the City of Astoria below you. I've been there twice and never climbed to the top.

Joe

Edited by JoePDX

Hi guys, to those who will be going to Astoria Column, be aware there's 164 steps to climb when you get there.:eek:

It was a nice little climb, and the staircase is plenty wide enough that if you need to take a breather & others behind you want to charge ahead (or are coming down the stairs) there is plenty of room to step aside to let others pass.

I did this, took the trolley there. Friend and I also walked around downtown, went into a picturesque old theater & took photos, found an art gallery (there was the artist with the showing handing out postcards at an intersection a block away). We browsed several shops, found lovely & unusual hand made merchandise - not the typical junk you find for sale for the tourists.

There were town volunteers with vests on at the port area & scattered throughout the town to give a welcome to the cruise passengers & help answer questions. This was really one of the sweetest towns for cruise passengers on a port stop I've visited so far.