Managing luggage from Venice Station to Cruise Line

jtsbusiness

This will be my first cruise since my husband died 5 years ago. We loved cruising but I have been too terrified to try it on my own. I have finally picked up the courage and am travelling on the Vision of the Seas on 5 November. All transports have been arranged apart from the station to the cruise line. My Travel Agent said it was "just a short walk" but I think this is artistic licence as the cruise terminal is vast. I am nearly 70 and somebody said that you had to go up steps from the station. I had a new knee last year which is fine and I walk miles, but steps and luggage do not bode well with an unsteady leg. Can anybody advise on the best way to get to the cruise line. Thanks

Check with your TA if your train from Lake Garda stops at the Venice Mestre train station.

If so, ask him/her to ascertain the cost of a private transfer , or a taxi, from Mestre station to the cruise terminal.

Also ask your TA to verify if there are any problems, such as steps, to negotiate before meeting up with your transport.

If your train is bypassing the Mestre station then there is the passenger bridge to negotiate on leaving the Santa Lucia station.

The following link has an aerial view of the Ponte della Costituzione passenger bridge.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/aerial/ponte-di-calatrava.htm

I travel with my mother who has a replacement knee, so I understand where you're coming from. The key to traveling by train - and any travel in Venice, for that matter - is to have luggage that you can easily handle on your own. We are now total converts to using backpacks, originally at mom's insistence, I have to admit it's much more comfortable than you'd think, and a wonderful way to keep the back straight :D. But whatever you use, the key is that you can easily handle it.

Now, the journey. From Santa Lucia station, it's probably a 5-10 minute walk to Piazalle Roma, from which you take the people mover to the port, then you walk to the terminal where your ship is docked. The walk from the ship includes a bridge with shallow steps. All of this is available on Google street view, and I encourage you to check it out, so you can "walk it" beforehand from the comfort of your computer.

Thanks for your help. Apparently the train comes in at St Lucia station.

You may find the recent reviews , especially that dated 2 September 2015, on the bridge helpful.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g187870-d3853965-Reviews-Ponte_della_Costituzione-Venice_Veneto.html#REVIEWS

The warning about so called porters should be heeded.

Carrying luggage across the bridge, especially if it is wet, appears daunting.

It is a pity your train is not calling at the more convenient, from a transfer point of view, Mestre station.

The trains from Lake Garda going to Santa Lucia station will all stop first (about 7 minutes earlier) at Mestre - the line between Mestre and Santa Lucia is limited in the amount of traffic it can take and the railway line controls it with the stop in Mestre.

In Mestre you have an escalator from the underground to the main station building. I'm not sure anymore about the availability of an escalator from the platform to the underground, but it is a simple short set of stairs if there is no escalator.

Outside the Mestre station building is a line of taxis. They are reasonably priced and will drive you directly to your boat with your luggage. The drive from Mestre to Venice is over the same dam and next to the train. On the right hand side you will see the Fincantieri workshops where there is always at least one new cruise ship being finished ...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello OP. There is a smallish bridge with steps that you have to take from Santa Lucia station. I have problems going up and down steps and with a case, it looked daunting, however some kind person saw me struggling and carried the case for me.( i know that this could be risky but i still like to think there's more good people in the world than bad,and i don't keep valuables in my case)

I'm sure that other travelers with cases will also be arriving at the station and would offer to help.

Other than that, if the train does also stop at mestre,you could take a taxi,but that's fairly expensive.

We are staying in Milan for a few days before getting the train to Venice st Lucia,where we change platforms and get a train to venice east, quarto d'altino

We are staying at the crowne plaza and they offer a cruise package, this will give us a transfer right to the port. The hotel is about a 30 minute train journey from Santa Lucia,but for Venice the price was very reasonable.

Hope this helps,and congrats on cruising again. have a wonderful cruise. :)