Hilton Riverside New Orleans

bindy1

It has been about 7 years since we cruised out of New Orleans. But if my memory serves correctly, the Hilton Riverside was within walking distance to the port.

My question - is it really walkable from Hilton Riverside to the port with 2 rolling suitcases and a couple of small carryons? ie - are there sidewalks, is it safe(I was groped by a homeless guy waiting on a trolley on our last visit to NO), or is it just too far?

Would we better off to catch a cab/uber? Does the trolley go that direction? Just trying to plan ahead how we will get from hotel to terminal.

We are flying in 2 days before the cruise and plan to Uber from airport to hotel and then walk or take the trolley around NO.

About 10 minutes by foot from the Hilton to Julia street terminal. Sidewalk is paved and in decent shape. Not sure if trolley runs from Hilton to the cruise terminal since I only rode the other way to French Quarter last time we visited NOLA. You can also look into the Renaissance, Marriott Convention or the Omni Riverfront if you want something even closer.

Unless you can't handle all the luggage yourself (or experienced inclement weather), I would walk rather than take a cab since you are not saving much time.

Edited by PCHENG

It has been about 7 years since we cruised out of New Orleans. But if my memory serves correctly, the Hilton Riverside was within walking distance to the port.

My question - is it really walkable from Hilton Riverside to the port with 2 rolling suitcases and a couple of small carryons? ie - are there sidewalks, is it safe(I was groped by a homeless guy waiting on a trolley on our last visit to NO), or is it just too far?

Would we better off to catch a cab/uber? Does the trolley go that direction? Just trying to plan ahead how we will get from hotel to terminal.

We are flying in 2 days before the cruise and plan to Uber from airport to hotel and then walk or take the trolley around NO.

We are staying in the Hilton Riverside and plan to walk through the mall. Reviews for the hotel online say that this is not only possible but that there are signs in the mall directing you to the cruise terminal at the other end.

This is all great information. We have been looking at staying at the Hilton Riverside and now we will. I like the idea of the trolley taking us into the French Quarter and even if we don't walk (we probably will) to the terminal it is close.

Stayed there 2 years ago and it was a short walk thru the mall, down some steps and you are right there. If you were to try and get a cab from the front door of the hotel they would probably not take you because of it being too short of a ride. Great Hotel to stay at.

There is now an elevator at the south end of the mall that goes directly to the terminal.

Which terminal? The Julia st terminal is in the same building as the mall, the Erato st terminal is just past the mall but there is a staircase outside going to ground level just across the driveway from the terminal.

• 2 weeks later...

You can take the street car down but between getting your luggage on board and off and the walk from the streetcar stop to the terminal I'd declare it more work than the effort is worth.

If you aren't herding small children and don't have a medical condition (respiratory, cardiac, orthopedic), it is a very viable walk with rolling bags.

Biggest plus, throw yourself a send off dinner at Dragos with their famous grilled oysters.

You can take the street car down but between getting your luggage on board and off and the walk from the streetcar stop to the terminal I'd declare it more work than the effort is worth.

If you aren't herding small children and don't have a medical condition (respiratory, cardiac, orthopedic), it is a very viable walk with rolling bags.

Biggest plus, throw yourself a send off dinner at Dragos with their famous grilled oysters.

I'm pretty sure you can't take luggage on the streetcar. People who stay at Hilton Riverside just go through the mall to get to the terminal.

I'm pretty sure you can't take luggage on the streetcar. People who stay at Hilton Riverside just go through the mall to get to the terminal.

Wasn't aware of a restriction per se. I've seen some pretty big stuff aboard but it really isn't viable because it is a narrow opening and a narrow 90 degree turn while lifting.

Wasn't aware of a restriction per se. I've seen some pretty big stuff aboard but it really isn't viable because it is a narrow opening and a narrow 90 degree turn while lifting.

Maybe you can. It just seems like if it were allowed more people would do it since the streetcar goes down to Julia. I never see more than a backpack on board. Maybe a local knows the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
If you were to try and get a cab from the front door of the hotel they would probably not take you because of it being too short of a ride. Great Hotel to stay at.

Taxis have a set price from the hotels to the port. It is $8 pp.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The walk is VERY EASY and convenient through the mall. I've done it a couple of times. Riverside is the only place I stay if I'm cruising.

By the time you walk to the front of hotel, wait your turn for a taxi, load luggage and persons you could have already been at the terminal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

The walk is VERY EASY and convenient through the mall. I've done it a couple of times. Riverside is the only place I stay if I'm cruising.

By the time you walk to the front of hotel, wait your turn for a taxi, load luggage and persons you could have already been at the terminal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

Good to know, thanks.

• 4 months later...

So after reading all these posts, we booked pre-cruise (Carnival Dream) at Hilton Riverside. We cruise in 6 days. My husband was speaking with the Hilton Riverside concierge on the phone, and he was saying that the "logistics" of the walk are very difficult and we are better off taking a cab. We are 6 people (2 adults, kids age 6,10,14,17) and will have luggage, of course, but we are also New Yorkers and used to walking :) It seems crazy to pay $50 for a 5-minute cab ride. So - can anyone be specific about what the walk entails between the hotel and Carnival cruise terminal, just to set my mind at ease? Thanks.

So after reading all these posts, we booked pre-cruise (Carnival Dream) at Hilton Riverside. We cruise in 6 days. My husband was speaking with the Hilton Riverside concierge on the phone, and he was saying that the "logistics" of the walk are very difficult and we are better off taking a cab. We are 6 people (2 adults, kids age 6,10,14,17) and will have luggage, of course, but we are also New Yorkers and used to walking :) It seems crazy to pay $50 for a 5-minute cab ride. So - can anyone be specific about what the walk entails between the hotel and Carnival cruise terminal, just to set my mind at ease? Thanks.

When we walked it with just the two of us (56 and 58 years old in healthy condition and used to walking) we were fine! Actually it wasn't bad at all. We had one wheeled piece of luggage and a carry on (not super light) and it was fine. We chose to take the walk the night before to check it out prior. If you have time to do that I would. Otherwise I would highly recommend giving it a chance to save the $50! Especially if you don't travel with heavy luggage and you have plenty of help with the teens.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's a 10 minute walk...mostly through the mall. You have to go up one escalator. When you get to the end of the mall you go outside where the food court tables are setup and take a right. You will have to go down a staircase...and then you're basically there. The staircase is the only obstacle.

382260ff562726e5f9e5569828f0c97d.jpg

Thank you both for the details! It sounds do-able, but will definitely check it out the night before. We will have luggage but it's all rolling suitcases so I'm thinking it will be okay. The other option is for maybe 4 of us to walk, and 2 can go in a cab with the luggage, this way cab will cost only $16 instead of $48.

Thank you both for the details! It sounds do-able, but will definitely check it out the night before. We will have luggage but it's all rolling suitcases so I'm thinking it will be okay. The other option is for maybe 4 of us to walk, and 2 can go in a cab with the luggage, this way cab will cost only $16 instead of $48.

I think you will find it's not that bad at all. We would do it again in a heartbeat. We did have an short escalator to go on, but no stairs as there was an elevator we found.