How many clothes to pack? Older boys

LucyB.

CBatSea, I hope you reply. ��

We sail in 76 days. 5 day. CCL. Bahamas. 2 port 2 sea days. Elation. Nassau & Half Moon Cay.

I'm a planner till my eyes bleed planner. I've cruised once, girls trip. I know what to pack for me. I've started our packing list already.

We plan to use carry on size suitcases for everyone. Use the suitcases open under the bed, as "drawers". What I'm curious about is how many clothes to pack for my 10 & 16 yr old sons. I've picked up polo type shirts for the MDR. A button down each w kaki's for elegant night. 2 swim trunks each. Lots of spf 50 sunblock. My older son usually packs his own bag for vacation. This time I plan to supervise. Should I pack 2 outfits per day? Or at the least a couple pairs of jeans for the MDR. Maybe an extra shirt, per day? I don't want them looking like ragmuffins, but I want them comfortable. I'd planned on just sneakers & flip flops for shoes. I'm an expert road trip or camping vacation packer. My kids both handle packing for those type trips fine too. My concern is they'll run out of clothes or won't have the appropriate outfit for something. I know to pack jackets for all 4 of us. Every vacation there seems to be a need to run to Target for something. (Last yr it was ME, Bc I'd gained weight over summer &

My jeans didn't fit.) We can't just run to the store if something is needed. I know what toiletries to pack. It's mostly clothes I'm concerned about. We're driving.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. We rented a cabana at HMC, so no need for snorkeling gear or stuff like that. Nassau we plan to stick kinda close to the docks. Grab lunch, maybe splash at Junkanoo beach, & enjoy a not so busy ship.

I've got miscellaneous stuff, like post its for communication, over the door shoe thingie, sea sick meds, a basic pharmacy & bandaids, multi outlet for electronics. Basics, I'm covered.

Edited by LucyB.

Most of your daytime hours on the ship will be in shorts or swimsuits....we have been able to rewear our shorts (for breakfast) several times.... and if a "spill" should happen, about mid-way thru the cruise is a "bag" of laundry special. Not a budget breaker if you have to send a few things out to wash.

I think sneakers and flip flops are fine...we practically live in flip flops or sandal...unless you're doing a strenuous hike in port, those shoes should be fine.

I think jeans are hot, but a pair of cotton trousers (dockers, etc..) wouldn't be out of place on the so-called "formal" nights! Polo/golf shirts are fine.

Sounds like you've got it handled! Enjoy!!!!

Thank you!

I was thinking jeans just a night, & the kids wear them a few times.

My one & only other cruise, Fascination

2010, my sister planned. I did a little research, but not much. I wished I'd taken my sneakers. Only took sandals & dress shoes. Had to buy sunblock while we were headed to the port. I just went w the flow. This time, I'm going about planning differently.

I've thankfully traveled almost 7,000 miles already this year. Round trip to FL & home will bump me up to 8. Lots of road trips.

I think I'm going to take a deep breath, for now. Pick up last minute items, like new kaki pants, a few weeks before sailing. My kids have really shot up tall lately.

Usually, we end up buying a t-shirt or two along the way so you probably don't need to throw in anything extra. Also the clothes needed/used depend on whether they join you every night in the dining room or grab something from the buffet or room service and the run off to the kids club. We always insisted on family dinner to discuss the day but gave in occasionally for events my son wanted to attend.

2 bathing suits

Water shirt?

1 t shirt/short for each day + 1 extra

1 kakhi

1 dress shirt

4 polos w/dress shorts or jeans

Tennis shoes

Flip flops

Topsiders

Socks

Underwear

Clothes for trip home

1 hoodie

Toiletries

Back pack with electronics etc.

That it. Keep it simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Y'all are too kind for replying. I do have a question. What are topsiders? Lol.

I got them each 2 new pairs of cheap Walmart flip flops. Plus, Walmart had thicker strap heavier sole ones on clearance yesterday. I figured if they blew out a cheap pair, they'd need a back up. I also figured they'll wear the thick soles ones more often. Less shoes for them means an extra pair of my size 11 sandals, lol.

I'm taking sneakers, some adorable strappy black low heeled dressy shoes, 2 pairs of flip flops, & a black & brown pair of gladiators for me. They thankfully flatten down to almost nothing & can be stashed in anyone's suitcase.

Ok, another question or 2. Are packing cubes worth it? My 10yr old is the messiest one child on Earth! I thought packing cubes might keep clothes he hasn't worn organized. Or even large zippy bags w daily outfits inside. He might claim to be too old for his Mama to do that.

Onthelake, I'm planning on family dinners too. Unless there's a kid camp thing they both really really want to do. Figure hubs and I will have a "date night" onboard then. W them being older, I have no problem leaving them in the cabin for a bit if we want to catch the late comedy show. They know to tip the room service delivery person.

Edited by LucyB.

And yes, both of them have really shot up! My 16 yr old is a late bloomer, so he's just now hitting a never ending growth spurt. At the last Dr visit for my 10yr old, I mentioned my concern over him packing on some extra pounds lately. Dr said he's more than likely growing out, Bc he's about to grow UP. He's a head taller than most of his classmates. Height prediction says 6'4" at 18. To get super personal, 6'2"-6'5" is about average for a man in my family. Good thing only one branch of his Daddy's genes are tall or he'd be 7ft tall as an adult. I'm not really exaggerating here. My "little brother" is 6'6"! At 5'8" I'm the shortest of my siblings.

They both eat like lumberjacks after a 12 hour shift! I cook real food, not a lot of processed junk. (Yes, they've been known to eat cold ravioli from a can, too. Lol.)

Cruising seemed like an economical way to feed them on vac. If we'd rented a beach condo, I'd still have to cook & that just didn't sound like a vacation for me. I do love cooking, but even I want time off.

Personally, I don't think packing cubes are worth it. If your 10 yr old is like my 19 yr old he will decide he wants something out of one when you aren't watching and everything is to H*ll in a Hand Basket!

Are your kids in the same room? We can't stand to have PigPen and his little brother in such a small space, so they are in an inside across the hall. I tell them to be ready for dinner 15 min early and try to go in daily and supervise/assist in a massive room tidy each evening. The two room thing is the only way cruising would be a vacation in our family!;)

If they were in the same room with me, then I might consider the cubes. I would have one for each day and hand it out and deny access to everything else. Kinda like I did when they were tiny and packed in zip locks so they could dress themselves. I just hate spending my vacation doing what I do at home and forcing PigPen to constantly tidy....

Yes, we're all together. Financially I couldn't do 2 rooms. My oldest is responsible & all, but I'm not comfortable w us not being all together. Maybe when my oldest is of age. Plus, it's our first family cruise. I hope it's the start of a new way of vacations for us, we'll see.

I call my youngest Pig Pen too! I'm totally Lucy, married to Charlie Brown, & my oldest is Linus. He had a major attachment to his blanket back when. Shhhh.... don't tell him I said that, lmao.

2 bathing suits

Water shirt?

1 t shirt/short for each day + 1 extra

1 kakhi

1 dress shirt

4 polos w/dress shorts or jeans

Tennis shoes

Flip flops

Topsiders

Socks

Underwear

Clothes for trip home

1 hoodie

Toiletries

Back pack with electronics etc.

That it. Keep it simple.

Personally, I don't think packing cubes are worth it. If your 10 yr old is like my 19 yr old he will decide he wants something out of one when you aren't watching and everything is to H*ll in a Hand Basket!

Are your kids in the same room? We can't stand to have PigPen and his little brother in such a small space, so they are in an inside across the hall. I tell them to be ready for dinner 15 min early and try to go in daily and supervise/assist in a massive room tidy each evening. The two room thing is the only way cruising would be a vacation in our family!;)

If they were in the same room with me, then I might consider the cubes. I would have one for each day and hand it out and deny access to everything else. Kinda like I did when they were tiny and packed in zip locks so they could dress themselves. I just hate spending my vacation doing what I do at home and forcing PigPen to constantly tidy....

You read my mind, this is exactly what I would (and did) pack for our recent cruise for the 14 y.o. boy. Both kids were in the cabin with us and NO ONE was allowed in the closet except me to get clothes. I passed out clothes each morning and evening and after they changed I collected the clothes I wanted them to wear again. It took a little more work, but it kept the room tidy and required us to pack a minimum of clothes :)

You read my mind, this is exactly what I would (and did) pack for our recent cruise for the 14 y.o. boy. Both kids were in the cabin with us and NO ONE was allowed in the closet except me to get clothes. I passed out clothes each morning and evening and after they changed I collected the clothes I wanted them to wear again. It took a little more work, but it kept the room tidy and required us to pack a minimum of clothes :)

I love being a minimalist. :)