Where are the Duoro River reviews?

twototravel

As we get closer to our departure on Viking for a Duoro River cruise, I'm wondering why there aren't more posts and reviews on this trip. Several companies offer this trip, and with Viking, very popular. We got the last cabin on our trip and we booked a year in advance! Even on the Viking page, there are no recent reviews; last one posted was from 2014. I found a couple 2017 reviews from passengers on Uniworld, and a few from 2016 on Viking on this site. If this river is so popular, why isn't it mentioned more in this forum....just wondering.

As we get closer to our departure on Viking for a Duoro River cruise, I'm wondering why there aren't more posts and reviews on this trip. Several companies offer this trip, and with Viking, very popular. We got the last cabin on our trip and we booked a year in advance! Even on the Viking page, there are no recent reviews; last one posted was from 2014. I found a couple 2017 reviews from passengers on Uniworld, and a few from 2016 on Viking on this site. If this river is so popular, why isn't it mentioned more in this forum....just wondering.

Good question - but I have no answer. I can tell you that we did this cruise in 2015 and enjoyed it so much that we are returning next year, but in the fall so we can see the harvesting of the grapes. Beautiful scenery and you will be sailing from one port to another during the day, so you get to enjoy that scenery. Be sure and come back and give your review after you return.

Cole

Not trying to be nasty, but if you spell the name of the river correctly (Douro) you might find something using search.

Thanks for the corrected spelling :) I did a new search and still didn't get a lot.

The three reviews on Viking are all from June 2017; sounds like maybe a group all on the same trip.

I will definitely post comments upon our return. I think it will be a fabulous trip.

Thanks for the corrected spelling :) I did a new search and still didn't get a lot.

The three reviews on Viking are all from June 2017; sounds like maybe a group all on the same trip.

I will definitely post comments upon our return. I think it will be a fabulous trip.

Did you look at the links I posted? There are 53 reviews for Viking's Douro cruises there (12 for the Osfrid and 41 for the Torgil).

• Members

We have an editor on the Douro right now. She's with Emerald Waterways on their new ship, so that review will be posted soon.

In terms of general Douro pieces, I can direct you to Douro Cruise Tips.

Viking has what they call "baby Longships" on the Douro. Here's a staff review of Viking Hemming.

Hi there.

Here you are, try this one, there are over 30 photographs in the review...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/08/06/viking-hemming-and-portugals-river-of-gold/

14606654760_94567e71c4_z.jpg

14824645371_e77183b5e2_z.jpg

One of the best river cruises we have done...

14793359935_86ee954230_z.jpg

With reference to the above Viking Douro cruise I have also written reviews on what to do and see on visits to Lisbon and Porto.

Here are the links...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/08/20/one-way-to-do-lisbon/

14749244150_7e3a812323_z.jpg

and Porto...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/06/28/one-way-to-do-porto/

18769428688_b2415039f3_z.jpg

Solent Richard... thanks for sharing your blog. We will be on the Hemming as well.

Hi there.

Here you are, try this one, there are over 30 photographs in the review...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/08/06/viking-hemming-and-portugals-river-of-gold/

14606654760_94567e71c4_z.jpg

14824645371_e77183b5e2_z.jpg

One of the best river cruises we have done...

14793359935_86ee954230_z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
We have an editor on the Douro right now. She's with Emerald Waterways on their new ship, so that review will be posted soon.

We've just returned from our Douro cruise on AMAWaterways. One day we were tied up to this new ship, so we had to walk through it to get to ours. WOW... what a beautiful, brand new ship! Very lovely and very lively!

I was looking for reviews of Vantage's new ship, the Douro Serenity, and found that the ship isn't even listed. I corresponded with CC about including it and was told that since it's leased from Douro Azul and not owned by Vantage, it will not be included. I think that the same goes for it's sister ship, the Douro Elegance leased by Riviera Travel.

I think that all or most of the Douro ships are leased. Not sure why Vantage and Riviera aren't available to review while others are...

FuelScience that is interesting. As far as I have understood it the situation on the Douro is thus that most/all ships are leased or in ownership/partnership with a Portuguese company (the Douro Azul you mention). I cannot remember exactly how it works, something legally necessary in Portugal, anyway. I do not understand the reasoning behind this with CC as many other ships are leased on other rivers, like the Amadeus range, other Riviera Travel ships. If all leased ships are exluded in reviews the whole reviews page becomes a little skewed...In my humble opinion.

notamermaid

• Members

Hi there. We're working on this request. It's not as easy as slapping up a ship. We hire a freelancer to write a ship's First Glimpse, it gets edited and copyedited, and then launched. Usually about six weeks from beginning to end. The chartered ships are tough because one company hires them one year, then they go to another the next and we have to redo the process (because a trip on Douro Serenity as run by Vantage might be different than that on another line).

We do our best here at CC to get all ships and lines that our readers care about on the site. Traditionally, Riviera has not been a major line for our readers. We have added several of their new ships this year, and will continue to do so.

Thank you Chris,

I see the problem. Riviera Travel has only been available to the North American market on a regular basis for a few weeks, and the company itself has only greatly expanded in the last three years or so, thank you for adding them now.

notamermaid

I was looking for reviews of Vantage's new ship, the Douro Serenity, and found that the ship isn't even listed. I corresponded with CC about including it and was told that since it's leased from Douro Azul and not owned by Vantage, it will not be included. I think that the same goes for it's sister ship, the Douro Elegance leased by Riviera Travel.

I think that all or most of the Douro ships are leased. Not sure why Vantage and Riviera aren't available to review while others are...

You are correct.

As I discovered Viking Hemming is also leased.

Though that certainly did not detract from it being an excellent cruise...

Not only the ships, so too all the staff except for the programme director.

So a bit different to usual Viking; on the Douro they didn't clear the top deck when going under low bridges, they advise you to sink low in your chair. Clearance below one rail bridge was so tight that it sliced the top off one of the potted fir trees :)

One very important tip.

Use internet to check in online, or get reception on board to do so.

Our friends did, we didn't.

they got us to Oporto airport more than 3 hours before flight departure, when finally check in opened we were at front of line and we were bumped off the flight by TAP, only those who checked in online got on the flight.

TAP told us it was because we were on a cheap ticket.

I thought it unusual the Viking staff* skedadled as soon as we got to the airport, all other trips they wait till you are all checked in. I think it is a common occurance.

*Douro Azul staff in Viking jackets

• 3 weeks later...
Hi there. We're working on this request. It's not as easy as slapping up a ship. We hire a freelancer to write a ship's First Glimpse, it gets edited and copyedited, and then launched. Usually about six weeks from beginning to end. The chartered ships are tough because one company hires them one year, then they go to another the next and we have to redo the process (because a trip on Douro Serenity as run by Vantage might be different than that on another line).

Chris, I didn't appreciate the problem until I recently noticed that there are multiple operators for the Douro Serenity next year. Vantage has itineraries throughout the year, but there are other operators chartering the ship for cruises as well. I found offerings from Douro Azul as well as several others for the summer of 2018.

• 2 weeks later...