Advice /suggestions wanted for dealing with mobility concerns in Japan and China

bitob

We are taking a month long trip to Japan and China in October with 3 other couples. This is a luxury trip -- includes a cruise and private guides so we have many options.

I am able to walk -- with and without a cane -- some times I use a walker (a Nitro) -- or my Smart Scoot for long distances -- but never at home, only for foreign travel. I also have mobility poles -- again for travel. I can go up and down steps. I do not use or need a wheelchair. Longer distances are the issue. I cannot bring the Smart Scoot on this trip as the asian airlines do not permit the 288 watt battery on their airplanes (I have done all the research).

My wife, the planner in chief, is trying to figure out what would be the best way to handle the potential mobility issues. All the private tours have been planned with my issue in mind and we have private vehicles everywhere so I always have the option of staying in the vehicle or just sitting and relaxing while the rest of our small group does the full tour. I do not mind doing this.

In China, we can hire a wheelchair AND A PUSHER (so my wife does not have to push) and we will probably do that just in case. However, the wheelchair and pusher cannot go on the 4 night river cruise on the China trip. I have asked to see if wheelchair rental to go off ship is available. Not likely. In Japan and Korea (which is pre cruise and cruise), I am not sure if I can rent a wheelchair for all the shore excursions. I am not sure I want a wheelchair. I do not need anything but my cane on the ship.

Options. I can take my walker -- although I don't really like it that much as I have found "pushing" it to be more strenuous than using a cane.

We can buy a wheelchair to be sure we have one available in all locales in case I need it. My wife has been looking at lightweight transport chairs -- many of the reviews are off putting and their sturdiness is in doubt. They are so cheap that we are willing to leave it behind at the end of the trip.

Any thoughts? Suggestions re chairs?

I recently travelled to Japan after breaking my ankle and was quite restricted with my mobility. My suggestion to you is to ask at the hotel you are staying at. Some hotels have wheelchairs available for guests. We did enquire about renting one for a short term through a company called Ido-support. Unfortunately, this needed to be arranged some time in advance. Good luck, your trip sounds fantastic and I hope that you have a wonderful time.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Having worked through out Asia including China and Japan for many years I can tell you with certainty not to reply on being able to borrow a wheelchair from a hotel. Even if there is one available you can't be certain of the condition, seat width and or weight load capacity to accommodate you properly. Using the wrong mobility equipment can cause more harm than good.

Without a doubt it will serve you better to bring a standard folding collapsible wheelchair that you know properly fits you both in seat width and weight capacity as well is in maximum operating condition. A transport chair will never survive the uncertain terrain you will most likely encounter. Even for the 4 days in China you're better off to have your own chair and just hire a pusher for those days. At the various ports you will definitely find someone with an entrepreneurial spirit that is looking to be hired to push you in the chair.

If the Great Wall of China is on the itinerary there will be plenty of locals that you can hire to bring you up to the wall. Would not suggest doing this unless you bring your own wheelchair as the ones at the wall are pretty unsafe. You'll have to hire3-4 to do safely do it but it's done all the time.

After having spent a lot of time and money planning this trip do you really want to leave getting a wheelchair once over in Asia to chance ?

Edited by xxoocruiser

I've been to both China and Japan and from what I saw there are few accommodations made for people who have problems with walking. I had severe back pain in Japan and I had to use a cane. Steps are often uneven, and so are pavements. Many streets have high kerbs as well. I didn't see any hotel with a wheelchair for guests to hire.

My advice is not to rely on being able to get any devices when you get there, but take your own. It may be possible to hire someone to push a wheelchair, but don't even count on that.

Within the limits of your disability, plan to be as independent as possible.

Thx for the suggestions.

Question. I will not need the wheelchair all the time. My wife is Looking at the medline and drive transport chairs with 12 inch rear wheels. Don't think it will get a ton of wear. and tear. We have vehicles that can take us close to sites and I can walk some. For most of china tour the tour operator is supplying wheelchair and pusher

We do not want to take a large chair

Does anyone have experience with either the medline or drive products

For those of u opposed to a transport chair, what folding collapsible wheelchair would u recommend

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thx for the suggestions.

Question. I will not need the wheelchair all the time. My wife is Looking at the medline and drive transport chairs with 12 inch rear wheels. Don't think it will get a ton of wear. and tear. We have vehicles that can take us close to sites and I can walk some. For most of china tour the tour operator is supplying wheelchair and pusher

We do not want to take a large chair

Does anyone have experience with either the medline or drive products

For those of u opposed to a transport chair, what folding collapsible wheelchair would u recommend

Transport chairs are not designed for extended use or designed to be used in place of a conventional wheelchair. Even with twelve inch rear wheels it will not handle the inconsistent terrain that will be encountered on this trip. Additionally I would not reply on China Tours to provide you with the appropriate wheelchair, In all my years of working in Mainland China the one thing that remained constant was that nothing was consistent nor was there any urgency to have things properly maintained.

Though I opposed to a transport chair I choose not to recommend a wheelchair as that's something that needs to be evaluated by your doctor and PT.

Hope the trip goes well regardless if you take a conventional wheelchair or not .

I took my Nitro to China and the big front wheels were great for cobbled streets as well as gravel paths.

I used a wheelchair in only two places so rented ones with pushers at those places. Our guide arranged these and both pushers were licensed guides themselves so I missed nothing. At the Forbidden City the accessible ramps were sometime away from the steps our group used and my pusher-guide was invaluable! I also had this arrangement at the Terra Cotta Warriors and again it was very useful. Our permanent guide had arranged the fee in usd, which I doubled to include the tip. Just remember to take crisp new bills for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took my Nitro to China and the big front wheels were great for cobbled streets as well as gravel paths.

I used a wheelchair in only two places so rented ones with pushers at those places. Our guide arranged these and both pushers were licensed guides themselves so I missed nothing. At the Forbidden City the accessible ramps were sometime away from the steps our group used and my pusher-guide was invaluable! I also had this arrangement at the Terra Cotta Warriors and again it was very useful. Our permanent guide had arranged the fee in usd, which I doubled to include the tip. Just remember to take crisp new bills for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just came back from Germany and river cruise and I could not tolerate the bumps with the nitro I walked with cane and found it better

Everyone is different

Just to close the circle After much research we bought a novacare 352 transport chair. More expensive than others with 12 inch rear wheels and great features. Many reviewers report traveling with it with no issues even on uneven surfaces. Since I am not wheelchair bound and won't be using it all the time we think it's the best solution for us

We will use pushers in china. Plentiful and cheap

Thx for your input

Just to close the circle After much research we bought a novacare 352 transport chair. More expensive than others with 12 inch rear wheels and great features. Many reviewers report traveling with it with no issues even on uneven surfaces. Since I am not wheelchair bound and won't be using it all the time we think it's the best solution for us

We will use pushers in china. Plentiful and cheap

Thx for your input

For future reference check with your doctor first before buying any durable medical equipment out-of- pocket expense. If your doctor deems it medically necessary ask for a RX for the equipment prior to purchasing it. Doctors cannot legally post date a RX if the mobility device has already been purchased. Depending on your financial situation the cost of any out-of pocket durable medical equipment may possibly be able to be accrued towards qualifying for the Federal 1040 Medical Tax Deduction. Of course you should always consult with your accountant to determine if it's to your benefit to do so.

For future reference check with your doctor first before buying any durable medical equipment out-of- pocket expense. If your doctor deems it medically necessary ask for a RX for the equipment prior to purchasing it. Doctors cannot legally post date a RX if the mobility device has already been purchased. Depending on your financial situation the cost of any out-of pocket durable medical equipment may possibly be able to be accrued towards qualifying for the Federal 1040 Medical Tax Deduction. Of course you should always consult with your accountant to determine if it's to your benefit to do so.

We are not in that category. None of this is medically necessary under the law