Shoes for Danube river cruise (Budapest to Munich)

gladgirl

I keep reading that we should pack 'sturdy' shoes for all the cobblestone streets we will come across in the cities on our Danube River Cruise. What does this mean? Running shoes or full-on hiking boots?

Shoes are always my hardest choices in packing because they take up so much luggage space!;)

Thanks in advance.

What time of year will you be traveling, and do you have any foot concerns? I don't wear sneakers except when exercising - for Europe in the cooler months (my normal travel) I prefer a goretex walking shoe (more ankle support than a regular running shoe type sneaker - goretex is great for those rainy days we always get) In the summer, I tend to wear dansko walking sandals with adjustable laces and a very thick sole. I also have some nice soft leather boots (pack much easier than a stiff leather boot) from Keen with a thick sole - I've sprayed silicone water-resistant spray and added my own insoles and they're great for walking in rainy/wet days too....

You don't need hiking boots, for sure. Something with some padding in the sole is optimal as stones can be uncomfortable after a while. Sturdy, meaning it will give some support on uneven ground.

How much padding and support you need depends on how tough your feet are and how much walking you do on a normal basis. Chris often walks around in flats on low-mileage days, but for longer distance days she wears a pair of light Skechers or Puma sneakers.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

A comfortable walking/running shoe or even hiking sandals will be sufficient. You want good soles with some support. There can be lots of walking. In our 2 days post cruise in Budapest we did just shy of 18 miles total. Most of it flat, buts lots of cobbles and irregular pavement.

Hiking boots would be overkill.

[i do sometimes pack hiking shoes or even hiking boots - I don't think that's overkill. But I also sometimes hike on vacation:hearteyes:]

I forgot that important question too - how much do you walk when you travel? I walk a TON (easily 8-10 miles a day) and as I've aged, my feet have gotten finicky. So I can't wear a "cute" [only] shoe unless it's just to dinner on the boat.

So you need to consider your environment, temps, what you plan to do on your trip, AND your feet particulars :-)

A regular running shoe would be fine because they're cushioned and have a sturdy sole. The sole should have texture so you won't slip on the smooth sometimes wet cobblestones. My husband and I both have a pair of Ecco brand shoes, they come in different styles and are a little dressier than a running shoe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Taking my 5th river cruise next month and we do lots of walking. My husband is taking sacony athletic sneaker for walking. Wearing his dress shoes on the plane. My problems is so many shoes that I want to bring! My Skechers are very comfortable bringing black and beige shoes. Teva sandals, and a dressy sandal for evening. We might be taking a hike so considering an athletic sneaker with a strong comfort support...:p

We have been on four river cruises along with pre- and post- stays and have done a lot of walking. In addition to athletic sneakers, I include some good walking socks that provide extra support in the arch and extra padding in the heels and toes. I prefer Thorlo brand, but there are others.

I really stared at my fellow cruisers navigating cobblestones and steps in - wait for it-flip flops! ' Cause it was summer, somewhere! Ouch! Closed toes important to me, and a cushier sole. I've had success this year with lace up leather Eccos, zip up Merrells, and Vionnic sneakers....no leather soles for walking tours. I like 2 pair so I can alternate am/pm... Keen reliable for years...now figuring out new winter purchase. What will it be? I agree with Good advice about ankle support too. I started wearing compression sox on long flights and decided to buy extras because they felt good on walking tours too ( unless it's shorts weather!)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We average 8-10 miles a day when in Europe.

For warm temps, I rely on my walking sandals as I need support and cushion. We are headed to Croatia late August and my Ecco and Taos walking sandals will be my daytime footwear.

For our fall trip, I will pack two pair of walking shoes: Merrell clogs with gortex and Cole Haan with Nike air. I like to switch on and off for comfort. For winter, I wear a waterproof boot (Sorel and Merrell are my go to's). I add an insole to both for additional support and comfort.

I pack a pair of athletic shoes for the gym on board and for running around the ship while we sail.

If you're going when it may be rainy or snowy, I would strongly suggest bringing two pairs of comfortable shoes to alternate, in case one pair needs to dry out. I had a pair of Cole Haan sneakers and a pair of very comfortable boots (from an obscure local brand), which was really helpful when my damn shoes didn't dry off between our 11:30 am return from a morning tour and 1:30 pm departure for an afternoon tour.

Thanks! Great suggestions for rain!

What time of year will you be traveling, and do you have any foot concerns? I don't wear sneakers except when exercising - for Europe in the cooler months (my normal travel) I prefer a goretex walking shoe (more ankle support than a regular running shoe type sneaker - goretex is great for those rainy days we always get) In the summer, I tend to wear dansko walking sandals with adjustable laces and a very thick sole. I also have some nice soft leather boots (pack much easier than a stiff leather boot) from Keen with a thick sole - I've sprayed silicone water-resistant spray and added my own insoles and they're great for walking in rainy/wet days too....

Great! Thanks for the info!

You don't need hiking boots, for sure. Something with some padding in the sole is optimal as stones can be uncomfortable after a while. Sturdy, meaning it will give some support on uneven ground.

How much padding and support you need depends on how tough your feet are and how much walking you do on a normal basis. Chris often walks around in flats on low-mileage days, but for longer distance days she wears a pair of light Skechers or Puma sneakers.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

I have several foot issues, including wide feet, ridiculously high arches and metatarsal pain. In summer I wear Abeo sandals from the Walking Company. They are the only sandals I've found that have an arch that fits my foot. Their athletic shoes are too low cut for my foot, so in cooler weather I wear Saucony sneakers with custom orthotics. I have yet to find a dressier shoe that fits my orthotics or is comfortable enough to wear while touring. My husband swears by his Keen shoes. I wish I could wear Keen or Merrell, but they don't have enough support for my feet. I have been thinking of getting a pair of Tieks ballet flats since they supposedly mold to your feet. Has anyone here tried them?

I have been thinking of getting a pair of Tieks ballet flats since they supposedly mold to your feet. Has anyone here tried them?

My friend swears by them and has several pair. I have seriously considered buying a pair but it is hard to imagine a ballet flat that has any real cushion and support. I need both.

I took the plunge and ordered this morning. Will post an update when they arrive. These would be ideal for wear on a river cruise, and easy to pack.

Edited by caviargal

The Tieks would be worthless on cobblestones! There's hardly any cushioning, no arch support. Only the uppers really mold to your foot, not the soles. I have a pair and wear them as house slippers only.

If you can get used to the negative heel, Earth shoes are amazing. Not Earthies but the original Earth Shoes. They make really cute sneaker styles in addition to a clog and the Mary Janes. I also wear the less matronly looking Mephistos which have excellent arch support even though I use custom orthotics in most of my shoes.

My friend swears by them and has several pair. I have seriously considered buying a pair but it is hard to imagine a ballet flat that has any real cushion and support. I need both.

I took the plunge and ordered this morning. Will post an update when they arrive. These would be ideal for wear on a river cruise, and easy to pack.

I need both cushioning and support as well and will be interested in hearing how they work for you!

The Tieks would be worthless on cobblestones! There's hardly any cushioning, no arch support. Only the uppers really mold to your foot, not the soles. I have a pair and wear them as house slippers only.

If you can get used to the negative heel, Earth shoes are amazing. Not Earthies but the original Earth Shoes. They make really cute sneaker styles in addition to a clog and the Mary Janes. I also wear the less matronly looking Mephistos which have excellent arch support even though I use custom orthotics in most of my shoes.

Thanks for the info about Earth shoes. I'll check them out. I would probably use the Tieks for dinners on the boat and short walks when travelling. I've never been able to wear any kind of ballet slippers due to my high arch; they don't stay on my feet. I thought Tieks might work since they supposedly mold to the feet.

I got plantar fasciitis last summer and got a couple pairs Vionic - one a ballet flat and the other an athletic shoe. The ballet flat is more comfortable ;-) Has a very molded insole and the negative heel - some people hate, some love, so try. Not all varieties work for me (is true of all brands, really ;-) Privo is another - regular Clark's are usually too narrow for me but I've had some wonderful Mary Jane and ballet flat from Privo that work great...

I got plantar fasciitis last summer and got a couple pairs Vionic - one a ballet flat and the other an athletic shoe. The ballet flat is more comfortable ;-) Has a very molded insole and the negative heel - some people hate, some love, so try. Not all varieties work for me (is true of all brands, really ;-) Privo is another - regular Clark's are usually too narrow for me but I've had some wonderful Mary Jane and ballet flat from Privo that work great...

I was just looking at the Vionic ballet flats and think I'll give them a try. Thanks!