St Thomas Scuba - private diving - dive shops?

Blondie008

Hi

We are doing our usual TA cruise in November - Ships first port of call in the US - for immigration is St. Thomas.

We are non USA citizens.

We have stopped St Thomas previously a number of times - but never been in a hurry to get off the ship so haven't noticed times etc. I doubt however we will manage to get off the ship until at least around 10am or even later.

I would really love to go diving - and my husband would come out and snorkel (he doesn't dive) - I am a totally novice diver. I was only certified in January this year - Trying to get some pool refresher classes in beforehand. St Thomas would be a fantastic opportunity for me if I can somehow manage it.

So far NCL haven't released a dive as a shore ex. There is a snorkel to St John but no mention of a dive excursion.

We will clearly miss an early morning dive boat going out.

Any suggestions on how we could arrange a personal dive that would time it for us with whatever time we can get to them off the ship?

Any suggestions and recommendations appreciated.

Many thanks.

I can't promise of course, but I'd suggest AquaMarine. They provided pick-up-return to the pier when we were there, and their dive sites are a little ways away from the port, shallower, and quite good. You won't get the wrecks that St. Thomas is famous for, but they may well be able to accommodate you. http://www.diveaquamarine.com/

Harris

Denver, CO

I recommend Blue Island Divers. I have dived with them twice and they are great! Their shop is within walking distance of where the cruise ships dock, maybe a block or two at most, an easy walk. Great guys and very accommodating. The second time I went with them they had a paralyzed diver as one of the passengers and they went out of their way to give him the best dive possible.

Coki beach dive center on Coki beach is great for beginers. It is beach diving with very easy entry. You can do a 1 or 2 tank dive. You will either go off to the right or left. We did both in march and were very surprised at the amount of fish and other creatures(turtles, lobster, shrimp, etc) we saw along with alot of coral. Some of it is grayed out but there is still plenty of great things to see. They are very affordable($70 for the 2 tank dive) and the the equipment was really good.

I recommend Blue Island Divers. I have dived with them twice and they are great! Their shop is within walking distance of where the cruise ships dock, maybe a block or two at most, an easy walk. Great guys and very accommodating. The second time I went with them they had a paralyzed diver as one of the passengers and they went out of their way to give him the best dive possible.

Thank you so much! Walking distance is a good option - thank you!

Coki beach dive center on Coki beach is great for beginers. It is beach diving with very easy entry. You can do a 1 or 2 tank dive. You will either go off to the right or left. We did both in march and were very surprised at the amount of fish and other creatures(turtles, lobster, shrimp, etc) we saw along with alot of coral. Some of it is grayed out but there is still plenty of great things to see. They are very affordable($70 for the 2 tank dive) and the the equipment was really good.

Thank you so much - I haven't tried a "shore entry" - although on my very first dive it took me 25 minutes to do my first "giant stride" lol! Thank you!

I can't promise of course, but I'd suggest AquaMarine. They provided pick-up-return to the pier when we were there, and their dive sites are a little ways away from the port, shallower, and quite good. You won't get the wrecks that St. Thomas is famous for, but they may well be able to accommodate you. http://www.diveaquamarine.com/

Harris

Denver, CO

Thank you Harris - for sure going to check out all three and see who can accommodate us bearing in mind the immigration process.

Don't know if you remember but you kindly gave me details of diving in Azores.

I had planned to go (on the NCL Getaway Transatlantic) and said to them I would email them on route to confirm. I even found myself a dive buddy on board the ship. (Now I know the advantages of wearing any dive related T-shirt!).

Sadly - The Azores stop was cancelled - never mind - another day .

I am doing a refresher this month - haven't been in the water at all since I was certified so have found a PADI centre in Scotland who offer pool reviewer courses.

Thanks for all your help!

• 2 weeks later...

I second Blue Island Divers, also dived with them twice :D

• 2 weeks later...

I am running into difficulty obtaining a late morning dive - or an afternoon dive which would get me safely back to the ship.

Only option is a shore entry dive which I am not confident in doing -

Not sure my back would take walking across shore with the tank..

and how do you get your fins on during a shore entry dive?

Will try Blue Island Divers see what they say but the others pick up at 8.45am and with immigration I doubt we would make it :(

Thanks all!

On a shore dive, you walk in the water to about waist deep, then put your fins on. You never ever walk in fins.

I do this of course all the time when snorkelling - but I think I might struggle when geared up with tank etc .

Might have google this and see how its done lol :')

It would be the best option if at all possible - I would be confident in putting on my BCD etc in the water - but I don't think I could get my fins on if already geared up..

As I say - newly certified =total novice :o

I do this of course all the time when snorkelling - but I think I might struggle when geared up with tank etc .

Might have google this and see how its done lol :')

It would be the best option if at all possible - I would be confident in putting on my BCD etc in the water - but I don't think I could get my fins on if already geared up..

As I say - newly certified =total novice :o

If you are standing in waist deep water, the water helps hold you tank up. It is easy.

We dove with Coki last summer and had a great time! They set you up with the tanks on the beach, close to the water. You are able to rest the tank on a table while you get all strapped in. You do not have to walk very far to get in the ocean. I can't remember how we did our fins but I don't remember any trouble - and it was our first time diving. We saw a lot of cool sea life - including an octopus! - and wouldn't hesitate to dive here again. They also let you use snorkel gear before/after your dive for free and the beach is a nice area with several food spots for your husband to hang out and snorkel while you dive. We chose this place because of the excellent Trip Adviser reviews and weren't disappointed at all!

If you are standing in waist deep water, the water helps hold you tank up. It is easy.

Thanks - of course it does duh I'm an idiot lol! I have a refresher in a PADI centre here soon in a pool - will speak to the instructors there make sure I am okay to do it.

We dove with Coki last summer and had a great time! They set you up with the tanks on the beach, close to the water. You are able to rest the tank on a table while you get all strapped in. You do not have to walk very far to get in the ocean. I can't remember how we did our fins but I don't remember any trouble - and it was our first time diving. We saw a lot of cool sea life - including an octopus! - and wouldn't hesitate to dive here again. They also let you use snorkel gear before/after your dive for free and the beach is a nice area with several food spots for your husband to hang out and snorkel while you dive. We chose this place because of the excellent Trip Adviser reviews and weren't disappointed at all!

Thanks so much - will check out TA for sure!

Update :D

All booked with Coki - wow such friendly helpful people!

PADI refresher in a few days here - only thing I am dreading is regulator recovery again - But I know myself its something I have done loads and can do so why I am even bothered - just do it - right?

Don't over think it - bubbles bubbles, lean swoop purge done!

Easy huh? :eek:

I hope to dive there. I had a dive scheduled, but got an ear infection the weeks before. We Jetski'd instead. I hope to get back and dive. I had a little more problem with the fins on my first shore dive as I've had spinal fusion surgery and don't bend over very well. But my first beach dive in Bonaire went well.

The key to putting fins on when shore diving is to bring your feet up, rather than your shoulders down.

Have all your equipment on except your fins, and complete your buddy checks prior to entering the water at all. Add some air to your BC. Walk out until you're deep enough that your BC is in the water, and thus providing some buoyancy, while your feet are still touching. Then bring one foot at a time up, putting the fin on (you may have been taught this in Open Water class as "making a 4 with your legs"). This way, you're not simultaneously fighting the weight of the tank and standing on one foot, and if you do lose your balance, you don't fall, you float.

Caveat: The above applies to shore entries in reasonably calm water, which is clearly what the thread is focused on. Shore entry into surf is a different matter.

Harris

Denver, CO