Hidden gems - suggestions please :)

kobe

Hi,

I'm helping organize a cruise for group of adults - about 14 people in their late 50's-early 70's. I've done a bunch of searches and read posts but I'm struggling to find fun or unusual things to do in port. I've started search Trip Advisor too. I'm just not coming up with much. So far maybe the Halifax Hopper in Halifax and Island Explorer in Bar Harbor. I'd like to book our own tours if we can.

The cruise will be next summer - June or July

We're traveling to:

Halifax

Saint John

Bar Harbor and

Portland

All suggestions are welcome. We're done several caribbean cruises and those were easy to find lots to do. Please help..... I want this to be fun for everyone. Thanks :)

For Bar Harbor, I agree that the Island Explorer is a great way (and inexpensive way) to see Acadia National Park, and I would recommend it to anyone who has visited ANP before. There is one thing IE does not do, and that is, go to the summit of Cadillac Mountain. For that, you'll have to take a tour bus. To me, getting to the summit is a must do for a first timer.

If there are no mobility issues in your group, you could take the IE to where you could enter a Carriage Road and start walking and enjoy nature.

For Portland, there is a narrow gauge railroad that offers a 3 mile round trip ride. The distance from the cruise ship terminal is a little more that a ¼ mile. There is also a museum.

You also could consider a mailboat ride to the islands of Casco Bay.

SBtS

• 4 weeks later...

It's not exactly hidden, but I do have to admit that I really enjoyed going out to St. Martin's Caves, although it would take a rental car (two vans for you?) or some kind of purchased excursion to get there. I planned it so that we'd get there when it was (more or less) low tide so that I could walk out to the caves. My husband is not a big walker, but he was content to go to the restaurant there and eat scallops while I spent about an hour walking out. The caves themselves are nothing special, and you and your group could at least see them in the (somewhat) distance. If you explore some more when the tide is changing and come back to St. Martin, it's interesting to see how the tide changes and the resulting water level change. If nothing else, I found it fun to walk out to a cave that would be impossible to get to in a few short hours when the tide went out (or in? I forget!)

My photos are here: http://www.pbase.com/roothy123/canadanew_england_2016_cruise_part_3 Hit "all" or the photos will likely cut off right in the middle of the St. Martins group.

Edited by roothy123