Ocean liner exhibition in London next year

Host Hattie

This looks interesting -

V&A exhibition sets sail for glory days of luxury ocean liners

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2017/jul/27/va-museum-exhibition-glory-days-ocean-liners?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Ocean Liners: Speed & Style, V&A London, 2 February – 10 June 2018.

Edited by Host Hattie

• 3 weeks later...

We trekked to Salem this week to see the Peabody Essex Museum's "Ocean Liners: Glamour, Speed, and Style" exhibit. (The V&A appear to be dropping the 'Glamour' part of the title, for some reason!). For those with even a smidgen of interest in ocean liners, the exhibit is highly recommended. I think we spent about three hours taking it all in. Anyone who can get to Salem, Mass. relatively easy should do so and see the exhibit. And Londoners should certainly plan on seeing it when it travels to the V&A.

I have quite a few photos, but need to clean them up and upload them. Once I've done that I'll post links.

Phil

Here are my photos from our visit to the Peabody Essex Museum/Victoria and Albert Museum's Ocean Liners exhibit. Hopefully they'll provide a taste of the exhibit. Sorry for the surfeit of S.S. United States shots. Since it's anchored here in Philadelphia I have a vested interest in it. The photos are in a Google album at:

https://goo.gl/photos/wNGR5DWb9tbE4faw9

Enjoy.

Phil

Just noticed my typo, opens February and runs until

June 8, 2018. Just returned from 7 weeks in London and sorry to be missing this one,

Lovely, we will get to see this (staying at Egerton House with VIP V&A access). I'll buy a souvenir for you if you'd like!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I attended the ocean liner exhibit at the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, Massachusetts yesterday and highly recommend it. There is a wonderful collection of items from the great liners (Queen Mary, Normandie, SS United States, etc.). The exhibit features an incredible 40 foot long model of the original Queen Elizabeth. Also, the famous Hales Blue Riband Trophy that was awarded to the fastest liner is on display. The collection is very impressive and the items are displayed beautifully. As noted above, this exhibit is a joint effort with the Victoria & Albert Museum and will be in London next year. Also, an excellent book has been produced in conjunction with the exhibit and is available on Amazon: Ocean Liners: Glamour, Speed and Style.

I am a big ocean liner fan and traveled from Chicago to see this exhibit. For me, the trip was worth the effort.

Chuck

I interned as a research assistant on the exhibition for 9 months and can certainly say that it's going to be a great experience! Even if you've seen the exhibition at PEM and you're ever in London, do check out the V&A exhibition as there will be quite a few differences + the rest of the V&A's collections are worth the visit alone.

If you absolutely can't wait then the book is already out.

Hi,

I recommend getting the book before seeing the exhibition. You will get more out of the exhibition if you have read the background material in the book. I enjoyed looking at the book prior to attending the exhibition and again after I returned home.

Chuck

I interned as a research assistant on the exhibition for 9 months and can certainly say that it's going to be a great experience! Even if you've seen the exhibition at PEM and you're ever in London, do check out the V&A exhibition as there will be quite a few differences + the rest of the V&A's collections are worth the visit alone.

If you absolutely can't wait then the book is already out.

Hi,

Thanks for your post. I am considering a trip to London next year (in conjunction with a crossing on the QM2) and wondered if I should attend the exhibit again. It sounds like a visit to the exhibit in London is justified. I loved the exhibit at PEM. :)

Chuck

Hi,

Thanks for your post. I am considering a trip to London next year (in conjunction with a crossing on the QM2) and wondered if I should attend the exhibit again. It sounds like a visit to the exhibit in London is justified. I loved the exhibit at PEM. :)

Chuck

Do you think it would be better to get the book before or after seeing the exhibition ?

I am wondering whether to put it on my Christmas or birthday list !

I would recommend getting the book beforehand. The essays do go into more detail on the themes of the exhibition, and in that sense work well in providing context beforehand, but also enrich the objects after you've seen the exhibition. Refreshingly, the book is a mixture of authors from different backgrounds - so it doesn't read like a standard 'history of the ocean liner' text, but rather the way that it's interpreted by art historians, architectural theorists, designers etc.

seacruise9 - I must say I'm very jealous! 100% recommend visiting the V&A. Besides, you can also visit the Winnie-the-Pooh, Fashioned From Nature, and The Future Starts Here exhibitions if they take your fancy whilst you're here! :D

I just discovered that the Peabody Essex Museum created an hour video tour of the exhibit, narrated by the curator. I'm not familiar enough with Facebook to provide a direct link, but this one will get you to the museum's list of videos. Then look for the 55 minute one titled "Facebook Live exclusive tour of OceanLiners exhibit with Maritime Curator Dan Finamore". It's excellent additional background.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/PeabodyEssexMuseum/videos/