Port of Galveston Texas

The bells

In my experience, it was quick. I've cruised out of Galveston 3 times, two of those on Carnival's ships. When you get there, you can drop off your large luggage in the proper area. I've been told that they should put orange stickers on the luggage for people with FTTF and it will help get your luggage to your room quicker.

With FTTF, you can enter the port area early. Once you enter, there should be a special line for FTTF so that you can get checked in quicker. Be sure to look for the special line.

When the ship is ready, they will call a few groups before yours, such as frequent cruisers and people in wedding parties, and then will board FTTF. Once boarding begins, it's a very quick process.

Since you have FTTF, you can take any carry-on bags directly to your room. This is a wonderful perk.

Enjoy you cruise!

Hello,

This will be are first time cruising out of the port of Galveston and we are wondering if Security and Check-In is smooth and Quick? We have Faster to the Fun thru Carnival also. Thank you.

Good decision on the FTTF. You won't have problem with security and check-in/boarding.

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing about making a departure from Galveston a bit "smoother". If you plan to drop of your bags at the port, then go park, do not approach the port by coming from 45 down Harborside. Go a bit past the port, then turn back and approach from the west. This way, you will be turning right into the port, rather than left (across the west bound traffic). Off 45, take Broadway to about Moody or 19th, turn left and go to Harborside. Then turn left on Harborside back to the port entrance. I don't know if that adequately explains it or not.

OP...You are from Illinois, so I assume you are flying, right? Ground transportation between Houston and Galveston is somewhat expensive. What are your plans for this? Also, I would not plan a return flight before 1pm. It takes at least 75 minutes to get from the cruise terminal to the north airport (Bush Intercontinental) -- much longer if there is traffic, and Houston always seems to have traffic. A couple of times for us I-45 (the main highway between Houston and Galveston) was shut down, with traffic diverted to the service road. We drive, so the delay is not critical for us. Oh, if Carnival has an option where you carry off your own bags the final day, this can save you some time. If you put your bags in the hall the final day, get a porter in the terminal -- you'll save time going through customs, plus the porter knows exactly where to take you to catch the shuttle/car/taxi -- whatever you use for ground transportation. Finally, have some alternate return flight numbers handy -- Sometimes Galveston gets fog which can really delay the ships.

You might find more information on the Gulf Coast Departure Ports forum --> http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=414

Edited by Jimnbigd

OP...You are from Illinois, so I assume you are flying, right? Ground transportation between Houston and Galveston is somewhat expensive. What are your plans for this? Also, I would not plan a return flight before 1pm. It takes at least 75 minutes to get from the cruise terminal to the north airport (Bush Intercontinental) -- much longer if there is traffic, and Houston always seems to have traffic. A couple of times for us I-45 (the main highway between Houston and Galveston) was shut down, with traffic diverted to the service road. We drive, so the delay is not critical for us. Oh, if Carnival has an option where you carry off your own bags the final day, this can save you some time. If you put your bags in the hall the final day, get a porter in the terminal -- you'll save time going through customs, plus the porter knows exactly where to take you to catch the shuttle/car/taxi -- whatever you use for ground transportation. Finally, have some alternate return flight numbers handy -- Sometimes Galveston gets fog which can really delay the ships.

You might find more information on the Gulf Coast Departure Ports forum --> http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=414

We will be driving in for these cruises!

Unlike those who said Galveston is quick and easy, my experience was quite different. When I cruised out of Galveston last year, it was one of the worst embarkations I've ever experienced. We also drove in. The line of cars outside the port (Harborside Rd, I think) was so long, it took about an hour and a half to drop off luggage, go park and then ride the shuttle from the parking lot back to the port. Not having FTTF, it was at least another hour in the terminal before we boarded.

Hello. We are going on our second cruise in October. The first went out of port Canaveral this time we are going out of Galveston. I also was wondering about parking.

I use EZ Cruise parking, but there are others also. I know people who like Lighthouse. You don't check your bags at the terminal, but instead park first, and they shuttle you and your bags to the terminal (up to 4 people per parked car for the shuttle). Easiest way is to take Harborside (exit 3 -- the first exist after the big bridge), turn left, and continue about 10 minutes to the parking. For EZ Cruise, turn right on 28th street. Whichever you choose, I suggest you make advanced reservations. Parking is about $10 per day, with $5 or sometimes $10 discount for advanced reservations. Sometimes you can find additional promo codes for additional discounts. The max discount I've ever found is $15.

Some Galveston hotels will let you park your car for the week at no charge. Some offer a shuttle service (either free or a small charge), or you could take a taxi to the ship for about $20 one-way.

Oh...If you use a shuttle, take some single dollar bills for tipping. We usually tip a buck per person to the bag handler (if any), and to the shuttle driver -- or give both dollars to the driver if he/she is also the bag handler. You'll also need some dollar and $5 bills for tipping the porters who check your bags at the terminal -- $2 per bag is about right. If you use a porter when disembarking .when the cruise is over, tip more -- maybe $5 per bag -- because the porter stays with you through customs and takes you to your shuttle/taxi spot -- often 15 or more minutes.

If it is raining, you and your bags will get wet. There is very little cover at the terminal and none at the parking lots. (There is a covered parking garage, but I'm not sure of the name or rates.)

I use EZ Cruise parking, but there are others also. I know people who like Lighthouse. You don't check your bags at the terminal, but instead park first, and they shuttle you and your bags to the terminal (up to 4 people per parked car for the shuttle). Easiest way is to take Harborside (exit 3 -- the first exist after the big bridge), turn left, and continue about 10 minutes to the parking. For EZ Cruise, turn right on 28th street. Whichever you choose, I suggest you make advanced reservations. Parking is about $10 per day, with $5 or sometimes $10 discount for advanced reservations. Sometimes you can find additional promo codes for additional discounts. The max discount I've ever found is $15.

Some Galveston hotels will let you park your car for the week at no charge. Some offer a shuttle service (either free or a small charge), or you could take a taxi to the ship for about $20 one-way.

Oh...If you use a shuttle, take some single dollar bills for tipping. We usually tip a buck per person to the bag handler (if any), and to the shuttle driver -- or give both dollars to the driver if he/she is also the bag handler. You'll also need some dollar and $5 bills for tipping the porters who check your bags at the terminal -- $2 per bag is about right. If you use a porter when disembarking .when the cruise is over, tip more -- maybe $5 per bag -- because the porter stays with you through customs and takes you to your shuttle/taxi spot -- often 15 or more minutes.

If it is raining, you and your bags will get wet. There is very little cover at the terminal and none at the parking lots. (There is a covered parking garage, but I'm not sure of the name or rates.)

Thank you for all the answers and help. we will be staying at the red roof inn i think for the night then parking at port parking we are back 2 back cruising and then moving after the cruise is over so wanted to find indoor parking as we will have personal belonging inside and have heard about people getting there cars broken into at some of the outdoor lots. have you ever used port parking before?? do you have to drop your bags before parking or do they shuttle u and your bags over to the cruise terminal?

I find that POG is calmer if you wait until most of the debarkation traffic has gone. In contrast to another poster, I think POG terminal has more covered area in front of the building than many others and have come and gone from there on rainy days. The only "problem" is that you do get wet going between the door and shuttle area. This wouldnt be a problem but for the way they have the embarkation lines set up. We like Galveston Park N Cruise the best because it is indoors and literally a few steps from the terminal and I use that one if my hubby isnt sailing. When he is with us, we use POG official parking because it is free for disabled vets. They are very efficient, and part of that is because they dont transport luggage. Since we travel with backpacks only, it works fine for us. Otherwise, they instruct you to check bags with porter and then drive to the lot.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...