First time cruisers , what to do in Nassua and freeport ?

Ladybella76

Hello this will be our first cruise ever, and we are going Nov 25th to nassua and freeport , we are wanting know what is there to do that isnt too expensive on our own , I know their is the queens stair case , pirates museum , the rum cake factory and junkaroo beach in nassua , but is there anything else that is pretty low budget to do besides shopping and drinking lol .... now i do not know anything that is in freeport .. would love alot of info and prices if you can so i can log them in my cruise book ... thank you all so much !

I don't know what you consider low budget but in Nassau you could go to one of the AIs or take a cab to Cable or Cabbage beach

In Freeport it's a 15-20 minute cab ride to the market and beach. This imho is a port that requires you plan an excursion either thru the cruise line or on your own

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Freeport , taxi to Port Lucaya . Or just stay in the port area where you will find shops and huts full of products offered .

Nassau on the cheap, $1.25 per person number 10 jitney ,ride it till you get bored :p . By then you may be hungry ,walk around the town area where you will find Mickey D's in front of the Hilton hotel . :D

I don't know what you consider low budget but in Nassau you could go to one of the AIs or take a cab to Cable or Cabbage beach

In Freeport it's a 15-20 minute cab ride to the market and beach. This imho is a port that requires you plan an excursion either thru the cruise line or on your own

meaning i dont wanna spend 100 to 200 pp to go do something fun lol ... maybe around 35 to 50 is reasonable

I had fun shopping in Freeport and Peaking into Señor frogs, I should have gone inside it sounded like fun . when we got to Nassau my sisters and I went to a nearby beach , it was awesome how soft and pretty the sand and water was . Everything was pretty inexpensive, you can haggle if you're that while shopping , things cost whatever they need to to send you home with them and not take a loss.

Nassau and Freeport were both pretty inexpensive honestly , plus the great thing is there's all sorts of food on the ship so outside of shopping and maybe traveling you shouldn't have to spend much at all .

In Freeport:

Gold Rock Beach...f20dfc6c4256917b28f41816f31b9de1.jpg

Port Lucaya at night...

195f92d29ca204ed87a9d8ecb7ad7d32.jpg

Rand Nature Center...

4d8c236e0c416fc07fccc1dc752a8d08.jpg

Taino Beach and Tony Macaroni Conch Experience...

7d7e7d9d27f8b30ccc44f6fbcdfbd6cd.jpg

Garden of the Groves...

135fb7411142efd331cacd8d9fc2ea83.jpg

Nassau check out Fodor's website for a free walking tour map and written descriptions. If you choose the tourism info booth in the Customs building has mobile phone downloads or headset rentals with audio if you wish to upgrade for a small fee from free.

Adstrada (sp?) Gardens and Zoo is a long walk or short jitney ride ($1.75 fare) from downtown and only like $16 per adult. Check out their website for performance times for their famous trained flamingos.

Junkanoo and Cable beaches are free entry, pay as you go for umbrellas, loungers, water toys , snorkel gear, etc. Junkanoo is along the way to the Pirate museum. Cable Beach starts at the next stop after Adstrada Gardens.

Or if your trip is more than 10 weeks away you could try for a free Cultural Ambassador experience. The Bahamian government will match your group / family with a local host for the day. If you want to do more than visit your host at their home you do have to pay admittance to any venue you choose that charges and reimburse the host family and gas money.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Forums mobile app

Nassau check out Fodor's website for a free walking tour map and written descriptions. If you choose the tourism info booth in the Customs building has mobile phone downloads or headset rentals with audio if you wish to upgrade for a small fee from free.

Adstrada (sp?) Gardens and Zoo is a long walk or short jitney ride ($1.75 fare) from downtown and only like $16 per adult. Check out their website for performance times for their famous trained flamingos.

Junkanoo and Cable beaches are free entry, pay as you go for umbrellas, loungers, water toys , snorkel gear, etc. Junkanoo is along the way to the Pirate museum. Cable Beach starts at the next stop after Adstrada Gardens.

Or if your trip is more than 10 weeks away you could try for a free Cultural Ambassador experience. The Bahamian government will match your group / family with a local host for the day. If you want to do more than visit your host at their home you do have to pay admittance to any venue you choose that charges and reimburse the host family and gas money.

For Freeport do lots of research, it was really hard hit by Hurricane Mathew last fall. So some of the AI resort day passes are not worth it because of reduced services. Many of the stores in the 2 main tourist towns took very damaging hits and some are still even closed for repairs. I have heard Garden of the Groves was replanted and repaired in short order, that Pat & Diane's dive and snorkel tours is still the superior offering (& affordable), and the eco tours in the national park are strenuous but worth it. UNESCO does have their open water dolphin encounters, but you must book that through the ship because most stops are only for 1/2 day.

Surprised they haven't moved your post, but here goes. the first time we went, we did some snorkeling at Blackbeard Cay, carnival doesn't have any excursions there anymore-the second time we went to blue lagoon, pricey, and it got so cold we couldn't even be there and be comfortable. third and fourth time, we went to Melia, paid for a day pass, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, fifth time it poured, I was on my own, I stayed on the ship. 6th time it was back to DH and I, and in the rain, we walked to the pirate museum, and then over to the church across the street, (it is beautiful and full of history) and we like the pirate museum. it rained so hard, the water came up over the curb and we walked around barefoot, found starbucks, had coffee and then wandered back to the ship. it's your first cruise, it may not be the worlds best port, but don't stay on the ship, and tell people you went to Nassau. plenty to do on the cheap. have a great cruise.

Surprised they haven't moved your post, but here goes. the first time we went, we did some snorkeling at Blackbeard Cay, carnival doesn't have any excursions there anymore-the second time we went to blue lagoon, pricey, and it got so cold we couldn't even be there and be comfortable. third and fourth time, we went to Melia, paid for a day pass, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, fifth time it poured, I was on my own, I stayed on the ship. 6th time it was back to DH and I, and in the rain, we walked to the pirate museum, and then over to the church across the street, (it is beautiful and full of history) and we like the pirate museum. it rained so hard, the water came up over the curb and we walked around barefoot, found starbucks, had coffee and then wandered back to the ship. it's your first cruise, it may not be the worlds best port, but don't stay on the ship, and tell people you went to Nassau. plenty to do on the cheap. have a great cruise.

Thank you so much that was very helpful , and no we wont stay on the ship , that is what the 2 days of fun sailing is for to explore the ship .... and thank you we will :)

Adastra Gardens can be reached on the #10 jitney and is across from the fort at the top of the hill. You can also take a cab. It's really a small outdoor tropical zoo and has some fun things like feeding the lorikeets and parading flamingos. This can be combined with a walking tour around the staircase and other sightseeing highlights. You can find a self guided walking tour with a quick internet search.

The straw marked it also decidedly Nassau and just up the way from the port. If you want local eats go to the far end of Junkanoo to Arawak Cay. All these things are great for people who are comfortable venturing out on their own. This is our plan when we go in October.

thank you :D

Now that's how to dry those wet feet :D

We also usually stay on the ship. But first timers want to explore new ports. I understand that.

If you choose to go to the Straw Market in Nassau please just beware. My experience there has never been good.

The vendors try putting things in your hands and then tell you that you have to pay for it. It is very warm and well the vendors are just to darn pushy for the small area. My experience.

Go enjoy and make your own choices. You are the only one who knows what you are looking for. Do your research. Then you can make choices for what interest you.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Hi Ladybella76,

Nassau and Freeport are two of my favorite ports!! (** Love those pis from manmachine! **)

In Nassau: we've done a snorkel excursion with Bay West tours that was awesome. - See attached pictures

I've been to Ardastra Gardens / Zoo probably three times now - love it! - See attached pictures

Cable Beach is a good option if you want access to water sports, take the #10 jitney

Saunders Beach is more of a local beach - very quiet - no water sports gear available - See attached pics

In Freeport: we've done Pat & Diane's snorkel excursion. It was a blast!! Very good company with great service. They also do a

private island / beach getaway. Shopping at Port Lucaya afterwards for each one.

Paradise Cove / Deadman's Reef if you want really good snorkeling just from the beach. Contact them online.

Gold Rock Beach is like a postcard. We did a tour with Jeff Pinder through Bahamas eco tours. He takes you

through the caves at Lucayan National Park, walk through the mangrove areas, then across the street to Gold

Rock Beach ( see pics ). He'll take you to a local restaurant on another awesome beach for lunch - fresh

caught (!). My Mom hasn't stopped talking about her lunch: conch salad w/lobster. Jeff is wonderful.

Enjoy the Bahamas!!! I'm going again in Sept.

Have a blast cruising for the first time!!

Nassau beach zoo pdf.pdf

Bay West Nassau pdf.pdf

Gold Rock Beach Lucayan Natl Park Freeport.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Things we've done in Nassau, all of which I would recommend:

Scuba diving: Stuarts Cove

Quick walk to the beach: Junkanoo Beach

Beach day pass: Breezes

Lunch in the "Fish Fry"...about a 15-20 walk from the ship along West Bay St. Restaurants specializing in all things conch.

Walking tour with a bit of history and authentic Bahamian food: Tru Bahamian Food Tours.

A lot of cruisers dismiss Nassau as a "throwaway" port, but we've found quite a few nice things to do there.

On the other hand, I'd stay on the ship in Freeport.

Have fun.