Help Choosing First Family Cruise!

JAMA80

Hi everyone! I am looking into booking my family's first cruise and would love some feedback on which line/ship would be the best choice for us.

Our group is: me & my wife, our two girls (will be 5 & 9 when we cruise), my mom, and possibly my wife's mom as well. (My mom has cruised once before on RCI and enjoyed it; none of the rest of us have ever cruised before.)

We want to sail out of NY or NJ to the Bahamas or Bermuda next summer. Based on this criteria I've narrowed it down to these options:

Royal Caribbean:

7-night Florida/Bahamas on Adventure of the Seas

5-night Bermuda on Anthem of the Seas

NCL:

7-night Florida/Bahamas on Norwegian Gem

7-night Bermuda on Norwegian Escape

Carnival:

4-night Bermuda on Horizon

Celebrity:

7-night Bermuda on Summit

Thoughts? Opinions? I'm leaning toward one of the Florida/Bahamas itineraries because I like the idea of multiple ports, but if the ship experience will be better on one of the Bermuda ones, I'm open to that. I think for this trip the on board experience is more important to us than the destination.

How are you getting to the port? If you are driving, thus your choice of NY ports, I would choose ships that sail from Cape Liberty in NJ, since they will be easier and less expensive to access and park. So my choices would be Royal or Celebrity. And I would always choose the longer cruise. More bang for your bucks. EM

I'd do the Getaway, 7 nights instead of 5, I don't think I'd take a cruise for fewer than 7 nights. I've done the Bahamas itinerary 5 times, but from everything I've heard, Bermuda is much better. There isn't much to do in port Canaveral, private islands get missed, and although we've always found stuff to do in Nassau, it wasn't free, and you do need to plan something.

7 Nighter, for sure. The shorter cruises are hardly worth the time it takes to pack! You should probably research your potential ports....figure out what is there that interests you, and pick according to that. Check out a guidebook from your local library...or google your ports. RCI and NCL will have more "fun stuff" for the kiddos than Celebrity, depending on the ship. The newer the ship, the more it will cost...so you might want to "get your feet wet" on a less expensive sailing!

Carnival is a great one for the family, we also really enjoyed RCI and Norwegian. Been on all 3, all 3 really enjoyable though slightly different. I think Norwegian by a hair, but all 3 would be fun. Never been on any of these ships, though. Or these itineraries so I don't know the ports well, but I also like multiple ports. Shorter might help break in cruising better, but I'd do 7 days if you can afford it all day long!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How are you getting to the port? If you are driving, thus your choice of NY ports, I would choose ships that sail from Cape Liberty in NJ, since they will be easier and less expensive to access and park. So my choices would be Royal or Celebrity. And I would always choose the longer cruise. More bang for your bucks. EM

We actually live in Brooklyn, so it would be cheaper/easier for us to get to Manhattan than NJ. We'll probably just take Uber or Lyft to the port.

Thank you all for the feedback! It sounds like all of the 7-nighters are potentially good choices. The Bermuda options are slightly more expensive (with the 5-night Bermuda on RC being similar in price to the 7-night Bahamas) because they are on newer ships. I think I'm going to rule out Celebrity this time since it's not as kid-focused. I guess next step is to research the ports and see which we'd like more - a few days in Bermuda, or a day each in 3 different ports.

I also have a question about staterooms - what is the most cost-effective way to sleep 4 adults & 2 children? Ideally, me, my wife & kids would have one room and my mom and mother-in-law would each have their own room, but I'd like to avoid expensive single supplements if possible. Can I book 3 rooms with 2 people in each room, but choose at least one room that sleeps 4 so the kids can actually sleep with us? Have no idea how this works on a cruise.

We actually live in Brooklyn, so it would be cheaper/easier for us to get to Manhattan than NJ. We'll probably just take Uber or Lyft to the port.

Thank you all for the feedback! It sounds like all of the 7-nighters are potentially good choices. The Bermuda options are slightly more expensive (with the 5-night Bermuda on RC being similar in price to the 7-night Bahamas) because they are on newer ships. I think I'm going to rule out Celebrity this time since it's not as kid-focused. I guess next step is to research the ports and see which we'd like more - a few days in Bermuda, or a day each in 3 different ports.

I also have a question about staterooms - what is the most cost-effective way to sleep 4 adults & 2 children? Ideally, me, my wife & kids would have one room and my mom and mother-in-law would each have their own room, but I'd like to avoid expensive single supplements if possible. Can I book 3 rooms with 2 people in each room, but choose at least one room that sleeps 4 so the kids can actually sleep with us? Have no idea how this works on a cruise.

The way you want to book it would work, just call. Bermuda is more expensive than the Bahamas because it's a wealthy island, vs. a poor one. Hotels on the island are expensive, you won't have people constantly bugging you to buy stuff from them, it's night and day. You will be harassed at almost every beach you go to in the Bahamas, and in the port area.

What's your price point? In other words, how much are you willing to spend when all is said and done, in terms of booking?

If you can drive to any ports, that will save you some money as you won't be needing airfare.

In terms of the actual lines themselves, the only one I've never been on is NCL, so I can't really speak to that. Certain cruise lines attract certain groups of people, so do your research on each line before you book. Think of the cruise lines as different cars: all are nice, but some are more high-end than others. Some attract certain age groups as well as certain types of people. From what I have heard, NCL attracts older folks, while Carnival and Royal Caribbean attract younger demographics. Celebrity is somewhere in between. Carnival is known as the "party" cruise line, while Royal Caribbean and Celebrity (who are owned by the same company) have a much more relaxed atmosphere. Since NCL I believe is owned by the same holding company as Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, you are really talking about going with one of two different companies. I prefer Royal Caribbean and Celebrity to Carnival, but my taste may be different than yours, and that's ok.

Next you need to look at the destinations. I have been to the Bahamas and Bermuda, both are beautiful. I just got back from a cruise on the Carnival Pride back in May, and two of the stops were in The Bahamas. Around this time of year, we discovered that it's very hot. We would have been much better off going in April. I kid you not, it was 100% humidity in 100 degree heat...needless to say we spent most of the time on the ship! Keep this in mind when booking!

As for the Summit, I have yet to go to go on that ship. I will be doing that itinerary in April, so I will have to get back to you on that one!

Hopefully, this helped shed some light on your questions!

What's your price point? In other words, how much are you willing to spend when all is said and done, in terms of booking?

If you can drive to any ports, that will save you some money as you won't be needing airfare.

In terms of the actual lines themselves, the only one I've never been on is NCL, so I can't really speak to that. Certain cruise lines attract certain groups of people, so do your research on each line before you book. Think of the cruise lines as different cars: all are nice, but some are more high-end than others. Some attract certain age groups as well as certain types of people. From what I have heard, NCL attracts older folks, while Carnival and Royal Caribbean attract younger demographics. Celebrity is somewhere in between. Carnival is known as the "party" cruise line, while Royal Caribbean and Celebrity (who are owned by the same company) have a much more relaxed atmosphere. Since NCL I believe is owned by the same holding company as Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, you are really talking about going with one of two different companies. I prefer Royal Caribbean and Celebrity to Carnival, but my taste may be different than yours, and that's ok.

Next you need to look at the destinations. I have been to the Bahamas and Bermuda, both are beautiful. I just got back from a cruise on the Carnival Pride back in May, and two of the stops were in The Bahamas. Around this time of year, we discovered that it's very hot. We would have been much better off going in April. I kid you not, it was 100% humidity in 100 degree heat...needless to say we spent most of the time on the ship! Keep this in mind when booking!

As for the Summit, I have yet to go to go on that ship. I will be doing that itinerary in April, so I will have to get back to you on that one!

Hopefully, this helped shed some light on your questions!

NCL is definitely not an older crowd. They are very family friendly, with large water slides, ropes courses, rock climbing walls, and with no formal nights, relaxed dress code, and with no traditional dining, it doesn't always appeal to older cruisers who prefer cruising the way it was.

NCL is definitely not an older crowd. They are very family friendly, with large water slides, ropes courses, rock climbing walls, and with no formal nights, relaxed dress code, and with no traditional dining, it doesn't always appeal to older cruisers who prefer cruising the way it was.

I would agree. NCL was VERY family friendly, very laid back. Good food (except dessert). Certain destinations also attract certain crowds. 7 day will be a little less of a "party" ship feel.

It's a bit price dependent but my vote is the 7 night Bermuda in the escape. With one of the 7 night Florida/Bahamas cruise as second. Agree 4/5 nights is a waste from New York. A bulk of your time will be sailing.

Escape and anthem are both newer ships with all the bells and whistles. While the adventure and gem are a bit older and more basic so expect the price to reflect that.

The most cost effective way to book 6 people is in 2 cabins; but yes, you can certainly book 2 each in 3 cabins on paper to avoid single supplements. Just get extra keys when you board so the kids can sleep with you. If you do this you may want to get rooms close to each other. Someone else on here booked that way without realizing it meant that they and their children would be assigned to different muster stations in the event of an emergency. But rooms in the same area of the ship all have the same muster station. So a consideration if that's important to you.

Also, when looking at the prices, Norwegian includes their 'free at sea' perks. Most bookings have the option of choosing the drinks package, a specialty dining package, internet, or shore excursion credit. So just something to keep in mind when doing a price comparison.

It's a bit price dependent but my vote is the 7 night Bermuda in the escape. With one of the 7 night Florida/Bahamas cruise as second. Agree 4/5 nights is a waste from New York. A bulk of your time will be sailing.

Escape and anthem are both newer ships with all the bells and whistles. While the adventure and gem are a bit older and more basic so expect the price to reflect that.

The most cost effective way to book 6 people is in 2 cabins; but yes, you can certainly book 2 each in 3 cabins on paper to avoid single supplements. Just get extra keys when you board so the kids can sleep with you. If you do this you may want to get rooms close to each other. Someone else on here booked that way without realizing it meant that they and their children would be assigned to different muster stations in the event of an emergency. But rooms in the same area of the ship all have the same muster station. So a consideration if that's important to you.

Also, when looking at the prices, Norwegian includes their 'free at sea' perks. Most bookings have the option of choosing the drinks package, a specialty dining package, internet, or shore excursion credit. So just something to keep in mind when doing a price comparison.

Thank you for the information on the room location/muster stations! My children are young so I would definitely want them to be with us in an emergency.

I'm fairly certain we are going to do one of the Bahamas itineraries this time. The 7-night Bermuda is a bit too pricey for the dates we could go, and the dates for the 5-night Bermuda don't work out as well either. (You actually get nearly 2 full days in Bermuda on that one; it arrives at 9:00am on day 3 and departs at 5:00pm on day 4.) We'll save Bermuda for next time. :)

Since NCL I believe is owned by the same holding company as Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, you are really talking about going with one of two different companies.

NCL is owned by 4 different holding companies, none of which are Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

• 3 weeks later...

Are children are similar in age at 9 and 7. They have been cruising for a while. We personally like the balcony and have been going that route. The kids love it. It gives my wife and I a place to hang out and talk while they might be getting snuggled down. They love ordering breakfast and having a little pre-breakfast meal on the balcony. Also, we do the king with the two bunk beds which works out perfect for us with this age.

Think of the cruise lines as different cars: all are nice, but some are more high-end than others. Some attract certain age groups as well as certain types of people. From what I have heard, NCL attracts older folks, while Carnival and Royal Caribbean attract younger demographics. Celebrity is somewhere in between. Carnival is known as the "party" cruise line, while Royal Caribbean and Celebrity (who are owned by the same company) have a much more relaxed atmosphere. Since NCL I believe is owned by the same holding company as Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, you are really talking about going with one of two different companies. I prefer Royal Caribbean and Celebrity to Carnival, but my taste may be different than yours, and that's ok.

!

The NCL Escape is definitely NOT for attracting older crowds. In fact, its just the opposite.

Your kids would love the Escape with the water slides, ropes, pools, mini golf etc.

NCL is owned by 4 different holding companies, none of which are Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

My info was old. Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. is now 44% publicly traded on NASDAQ with the other 56% held by 3 holding companies.

I'd recommend one of the Royal Caribbean cruises. Royal Caribbean has something for all ages and is great for both your children and the grandmothers in the group.

As for rooms, keep in mind the cabins are small compared to hotel rooms. The cheapest way to go would be a cabin for for you , your wife and 2 children. 3rd and 4th passengers in a cabin pay a reduced fare. Then have the 2 grandmothers in their own cabin.

If you have extra money you can get 2 adjoining cabins for you, your wife and children.

NCL has lousy food in the free main dining room. Their specialty dining is good but that will add extra costs for 6people.

I'd recommend one of the Royal Caribbean cruises. Royal Caribbean has something for all ages and is great for both your children and the grandmothers in the group.

As for rooms, keep in mind the cabins are small compared to hotel rooms. The cheapest way to go would be a cabin for for you , your wife and 2 children. 3rd and 4th passengers in a cabin pay a reduced fare. Then have the 2 grandmothers in their own cabin.

If you have extra money you can get 2 adjoining cabins for you, your wife and children.

NCL has lousy food in the free main dining room. Their specialty dining is good but that will add extra costs for 6people.

Just on the Gem in May, no specialty dining for us, we though the food was pretty good!

Hi everyone! I am looking into booking my family's first cruise and would love some feedback on which line/ship would be the best choice for us.

Our group is: me & my wife, our two girls (will be 5 & 9 when we cruise), my mom, and possibly my wife's mom as well. (My mom has cruised once before on RCI and enjoyed it; none of the rest of us have ever cruised before.)

We want to sail out of NY or NJ to the Bahamas or Bermuda next summer. Based on this criteria I've narrowed it down to these options:

Royal Caribbean:

7-night Florida/Bahamas on Adventure of the Seas

5-night Bermuda on Anthem of the Seas

NCL:

7-night Florida/Bahamas on Norwegian Gem

7-night Bermuda on Norwegian Escape

Carnival:

4-night Bermuda on Horizon

Celebrity:

7-night Bermuda on Summit

Thoughts? Opinions? I'm leaning toward one of the Florida/Bahamas itineraries because I like the idea of multiple ports, but if the ship experience will be better on one of the Bermuda ones, I'm open to that. I think for this trip the on board experience is more important to us than the destination.

HI, I have been on the Anthem, Gem and Summit. The Summit is a smaller ship usually with an "older" group. I do not remember seeing a lot of families with young children. Possibly there are all in the children's programs. We will be on the Summit again in October. I will have to be more observant about families.

the last cruise on the Anthem was in February and the grandchildren were 10 and 8. My granddaughter (10) was allowed to stay in the Seaplex area by herself after she demonstrated she knew how to get back to the room. There are water slides, bumper cars (the lines can be long but move quickly). The kids club (forgot the name) was enjoyed by both grandchildren. If you can swing the price, a 2 bedroom Haven room would be ideal. Everyone enjoyed that trip.

Our cruise on the GEM they were younger and spent more time with us than doing things on the ship but they still enjoyed it.

Hope this helps your decision making.