A very unique take on cruising

p.morrissey

My H is a quadriplegic, and exclusively uses an electric wheelchair. He loves going on cruises for the "only need to pack once" (we pack A LOT for his "just in case" needs) as well as the getting to go to many places while still having a home base. Also, most (not all) of the public spaces are wheelchair accessible.

All that said...the frustration of trying to book an actual wheelchair accessible cabin is the most painful of any we've ever experienced! Able-bodied or even those who may "only" need a modified cabin snatch up what few truly accessible cabins there are (I've even seen on the boards, able-bodied bragging about the big cabin they just scored, and even wondering (worrying?) whether or not they could be bumped if a "need" came up). The ratio of fully accessible cabins is minuscule, and as I want a balcony, that ratio is even smaller! (again, people bragging about snagging the "bowling alley" balconies) -- We literally have to be ready to book, no less than 12 months out and even that is getting further and further (we just looked (for this message) and the ship we would sail on, is 100% accessible cabin booked until November of 2018 (he doesn't want to fly...it's a hassle!). I want to take him to Alaska...nope, not a wheelchair accessible cabin to be found for 24 months!

Back to the positive...we truly enjoy cruising together. It's relaxing and fun.

My H is a quadriplegic, and exclusively uses an electric wheelchair. He loves going on cruises for the "only need to pack once" (we pack A LOT for his "just in case" needs) as well as the getting to go to many places while still having a home base. Also, most (not all) of the public spaces are wheelchair accessible.

All that said...the frustration of trying to book an actual wheelchair accessible cabin is the most painful of any we've ever experienced! Able-bodied or even those who may "only" need a modified cabin snatch up what few truly accessible cabins there are (I've even seen on the boards, able-bodied bragging about the big cabin they just scored, and even wondering (worrying?) whether or not they could be bumped if a "need" came up). The ratio of fully accessible cabins is minuscule, and as I want a balcony, that ratio is even smaller! (again, people bragging about snagging the "bowling alley" balconies) -- We literally have to be ready to book, no less than 12 months out and even that is getting further and further (we just looked (for this message) and the ship we would sail on, is 100% accessible cabin booked until November of 2018 (he doesn't want to fly...it's a hassle!). I want to take him to Alaska...nope, not a wheelchair accessible cabin to be found for 24 months!

Have you explained the problem to "special needs"?

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs.aspx

I'm sure you have went thru this but years ago I had both hips replaced and we went on a cruise between #1 and #2... my first hip was doing well but the second was so bad that past walking to car needed a wheelchair. we called Carnival and explained the problem (we did not have a wheelchair accessible cabin) and within the day we have a new booking (no charge) in a "handicap" cabin. I'm sure someone was not happy but it sure did work out well for us. That was 16-17 years ago.

Carnival will bump passengers to other cabins if they need an accessible cabin for a new booking, and someone who isn't handicapped is booked in an accessible cabin. You have to contact Carnival for this though.

They make it very clear that you could be bumped from and HC cabin if you don't need it, and I had it happen to me. Had no problem with it.

It appears that they may have taken the HC cabins out of the mix of direct online booking, I think you have to call them to get one now.

I would call and explain the situation to them, as your husband has a definate need for his chair. I have never had a balcony or suite, we just do inside cabins only. I just started using a scooter and it is a fold up one so no problem. If I did have a cabin like that and the needs department called and explained your need I would give it up for you. Heck all I need is a bed and the bathroom. Nothing fancy here. I hope they get you a room that you can deal with. Big hugs.

Makes me wonder what new ship builds could do to make as many cabins accessible as possible. I know existing ships are kinda stuck as is, but couldn't you design cabins better so that a "standard" cabin is accesible to the majority of people who need an accessible cabin today.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Forums mobile app

We've tried calling "special needs" - the only cruise line we've found to date that has been helpful was not Carnival - it was either NCL or Royal, I've forgotten which, but we had to complete a form which detailed his rwquirement(s) and then provided for a great cabin.

What we need is a GOOD PVP, but we've yet to score one of those either! And we aren't allowed to get referrals on the boards.

It's a catch 22 and unfortunately for us we're in it!

We've tried calling "special needs" - the only cruise line we've found to date that has been helpful was not Carnival - it was either NCL or Royal, I've forgotten which, but we had to complete a form which detailed his rwquirement(s) and then provided for a great cabin.

What we need is a GOOD PVP, but we've yet to score one of those either! And we aren't allowed to get referrals on the boards. ��

It's a catch 22 and unfortunately for us we're in it!

Well dang... I would suggest you call the special needs number and explain your problem one more time. You can also email icare@carnival.com and explain your frustrations. Could help.

Well dang... I would suggest you call the special needs number and explain your problem one more time. You can also email icare@carnival.com and explain your frustrations. Could help.

Thank you for the suggestion - basically now when I cruise it's with my best friend, and my honey holds down the fort.

I might try again but we've sort of given up hope. :o

I agree that your search can be made much easier if you work with a good cruise-specific travel agent. We had good success with AAA, and also with an on-line company whose name ends in Compete. Many of the cruise lines no longer show their accessible cabins on their website any more, and you (or your TA) must call the cruise line to inquire about accessible room availability.