Eight Days Until First Cruise Ever!

Jordanalice

My husband and I are in are late 50's and are going on our first cruise ever in eight days!! I've been reading Cruise Critic First Time Cruisers for a long time now and have learned so much - thank you to all the cruisers who take the time to answer people's questions. Some have asked questions that I hadn't even thought of - it's been great! Some of your responses actually have me laughing out loud :-) Anyway, I am so very excited about going -- Norwegian Jewel to Alaska. We've always wanted to see Alaska and this is the way to see it. If we like cruising, which I think we will, we will be going on more cruises but to warmer places. I'm excited now but will be bouncing off the walls next week!!!

It will be a magical moment when you finally get on board! Even more magical when you realize the ship is moving and you're on your way! Have a great cruise! Just remember, it is addictive! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Jordanalice

We are also going on first cruise ever to Alaska, Pearl though not Jewel, if I don't vibrate out of my skin or collapse from lack of sleep, we are heading to Seattle on Sat and sailing on Sunday (is the correct term sailing?) I have stacks everywhere and a large sack I add things to as I think of it. Trying real hard to enforce the adage take half as many clothes and twice as much money.

Jordanalice,

I recently returned from my 3rd cruise to Alaska and it was the best one yet! (I sailed on the Amsterdam.)

Sailing from near downtown Seattle, the scenery begins immediately. Sailing into Elliott Bay with views of the city and then into Puget Sound with the islands and mountains in view: stay out on an open deck or in a public room that has good visibility through its windows. Don't retreat to your stateroom after sailing "just to unpack". Try to do as much of that as you can prior to sailing.

Don't forget to pack some rain gear and plan to layer clothing as needed.

Bon Voyage!

Enjoy Alaska. One can never get too much of the majesty of that great state. I was born and raised there and I am always in awe every time I visit. And yes, I have even cruised there. Spend as much time outdoors as you can - keep your camera with you at all times. Never know when a whale will pop up, or a moose will walk down Main Street or a glacier will calve.

Jordanalice

We are also going on first cruise ever to Alaska, Pearl though not Jewel, if I don't vibrate out of my skin or collapse from lack of sleep, we are heading to Seattle on Sat and sailing on Sunday (is the correct term sailing?) I have stacks everywhere and a large sack I add things to as I think of it. Trying real hard to enforce the adage take half as many clothes and twice as much money.

Have a great time! We originally were going to go on the Pearl but decided on the Jewel for the Inside Passage route. It doesn't seem possible that the first cruise is just days away now!!!

It will be a magical moment when you finally get on board! Even more magical when you realize the ship is moving and you're on your way! Have a great cruise! Just remember, it is addictive! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm so looking forward to that magical moment when the ship starts moving!!! Even if there are bumps along the way, I have no doubt we will love cruising as much as the people that contribute to this board!

Enjoy Alaska. One can never get too much of the majesty of that great state. I was born and raised there and I am always in awe every time I visit. And yes, I have even cruised there. Spend as much time outdoors as you can - keep your camera with you at all times. Never know when a whale will pop up, or a moose will walk down Main Street or a glacier will calve.

I have never heard anyone that has gone on an Alaskan cruise say that they didn't think that the scenery was breathtaking!!! I can't wait to see your great state :D

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You will love Alaska. We have been there quite a few times.

There is so much to see and do that you will want to go back again.

You've been on over 140 cruises and I'm getting ready to go on my first one!!! The only reason I haven't been on a cruise until my late 50's is because of the movie The Poseidon Adventure that I watched at an impressionable age in '72. After seeing that I never had the desire...until we decided several years ago to see Alaska before we get too old to truly enjoy it. At this point in life, I don't have any fear of the ship capsizing and am already planning where we can go next!!!

My husband and I are in are late 50's and are going on our first cruise ever in eight days!! I've been reading Cruise Critic First Time Cruisers for a long time now and have learned so much - thank you to all the cruisers who take the time to answer people's questions. Some have asked questions that I hadn't even thought of - it's been great! Some of your responses actually have me laughing out loud :-) Anyway, I am so very excited about going -- Norwegian Jewel to Alaska. We've always wanted to see Alaska and this is the way to see it. If we like cruising, which I think we will, we will be going on more cruises but to warmer places. I'm excited now but will be bouncing off the walls next week!!!

We were in our 20's on our first cruise and that was 44 years ago.

You'll have a terrific time! I'm in your age bracket and just got back from my first cruise last week (Iceland).

One thing I just couldn't get into was room service, even though it's "included" couldn't get past the mindset that it's something only wealthy people or expense account folks do.

Alaska was the first cruise we had gone on and I remember being in Haines at 11:45 p.m. with it being light enough for an evening stroll on our 25th wedding anniversary. We have been to Alaska twice and it was just as amazing the second time around. I'm certain that you will thoroughly enjoy your cruise and will be planning another one as soon as you get home. Twenty three cruises later and we still enjoy this method of travel.

Enjoy!:D