Business Class Question

garyb(uk)

London to New York

I have been offered seats on United Airlines 767-300 (direct flight). If I wanted to fly BA they want an extra £300pp. to me this is a significant increase for what I was led to believe is their preferred airline. Has anyone flown UA BC? It doesn't appear that the seats have pods though they do configure into flatbeds.

London to New York

I have been offered seats on United Airlines 767-300 (direct flight). If I wanted to fly BA they want an extra £300pp. to me this is a significant increase for what I was led to believe is their preferred airline. Has anyone flown UA BC? It doesn't appear that the seats have pods though they do configure into flatbeds.

First a question, is the flight direct or non-stop? These are two different types of flights. Direct means the plane will stop at least once before your destination and in rare occasions you can change aircraft while non-stop means no stops before your destination.

Have flown United Business many times and in the past they have been partially enclosed but, not sure of your definition of Pods. Recently United started their Polaris seating in Business/First, there description of the service and believe those are closer to Pods.

Suggest you heed Kwaj Girl and enter your flight number and date in seatguru.com to find the proposed seats for your specific flight as not all seats on United are identical with the phase in of Polaris. Without your flight number and date nobody on this board or elsewhere can determine your proposed seats and always the possibility of aircraft changes before your actual flights as I said, not all seats on United are identical.

United currently uses two different 767-300 configurations on the nonstops from London to Newark. One has a BC section in a 2-1-2 configuration, and I find these seats very comfortable, particularly if you can get a bulkhead because those seats have a larger footwell. The other 767-300 has a 2-2-2 configuration with some seats facing forward and some backward. I've not flown on this plane, but it doesn't appeal to me. The plane with 2-1-2 seating is quite nice, IMO. Service, food, and beverages will be similar on both. There are several reviews of each configuration by travel bloggers, as well as some YouTube videos. I think if you can get the bulkhead on the 2-1-2 configured plane you'll be very comfortable.

It is a non-stop flight. The configuration is 2-1-2. I have been studying Seat Guru for information as I normally do. I haven't seen anywhere on the web pictures of the new polaris BC. The pictures I have seen appear to be from 2013 which I'm guessing aren't up to date.

My wife hates flying and I only sold her on this cruise saying the business class will be so much better. So the question is is it worth paying the extra for British Airways?

My DW is a reluctant flyer as well. Living in united s biggest hub means we fly them often and as long as business or first no problems. Recent British airlines reports have not been good and rolling BA strikes at heathrow are worrisome

Would not dream of paying 600 GBP to change flights.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The conversion to Polaris seats is progressing slowly, and the 767-300 with the 2-1-2 seating is not yet on the schedule for conversion. So I'm guessing (really just guessing) that what you're seeing for the 2-1-2 aircraft will be accurate for some time. I like these seats, particularly the bulkhead, and personally would not pay extra for BA.

Gary we have never flown United. For us with connecting flight from Aberdeen we always fly BA.

The BC sections vary from plane to plane. I would find out the plane seat guide to New York.

Usually it's 2 4 2 if it's the 747 lower deck and similar seating on 777.

If your TA could pre book seats upstairs on 747 they are much quieter. All are 2 2 and again facing each other.

On the lower deck and in 777 the middle seats have 2 side by side in the middle and either side facing opposite. They all have screens that can go up for privacy.

The 787 is usually 2 3 2 configuration.

It's a lot of £ extra for you to consider. This isn't the first time this scenario has been highlighted here on CC. It's an unexpected expense that Regent seem to be bringing in. Jean.

It is a non-stop flight. The configuration is 2-1-2. I have been studying Seat Guru for information as I normally do. I haven't seen anywhere on the web pictures of the new polaris BC. The pictures I have seen appear to be from 2013 which I'm guessing aren't up to date.

My wife hates flying and I only sold her on this cruise saying the business class will be so much better. So the question is is it worth paying the extra for British Airways?

Gary, here is a link to a pretty good set of info on the Polaris seats if you are lucky enough to get them. Plenty of current info out there, not sure why you couldn't find any:

http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris-business-class/p/1

Gary:

Ive never flown on the UA Polaris product or UA BC for that matter, but I've flown on AA and BA business class on several times from Miami to London. In regards to BA BC, although the service is great, I get stuck with their aft facing seat by Order of The Boss. In addition, getting into and out of the seat is a little tight. So, in my opinion, I am not too sure whether it is worth the extra cost. Good luck.

Z and TB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The conversion to Polaris seats is progressing slowly, and the 767-300 with the 2-1-2 seating is not yet on the schedule for conversion. So I'm guessing (really just guessing) that what you're seeing for the 2-1-2 aircraft will be accurate for some time. I like these seats, particularly the bulkhead, and personally would not pay extra for BA.

I wil be flying in united Polaris with a 2-1-2 configuration in a few days.

Just viewed Rallydave video link. The Polaris looks really good, and as mentioned by Squeeze the access to and fro seating on BA is a struggle, and the Polaris looks much better. If I had the choice, I would go for the Polaris. Jean.

It's confusing right now because United calls its BC service "Polaris" on all planes. The new Polaris seats, however, are currently on very few planes. So the 767-300 with a 2-1-2 configuration now has "Polaris" for its BC service, but not the new Polaris seats. Lots of people are complaining that they bought "Polaris" and didn't get the new seats.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm tending towards staying with UA. When I looked at Manage My Bookings it says it is Polaris:

• Flight:UA17
  • Aircraft: Boeing 767-300
  • Fare Class: United Polaris business (P)
    Meal: Lunch

Unless they now classify all BC as Polaris.

In case it is relevant the flight is June 2018

Polaris is the name that United uses for all their business class now; however, this refers to only the soft product. The hard product, i.e. seats, are currently only available on the 777 and retrofitting is progressing very slowly. That being said, if you can get 2-1-2 on United, it would be so much better than any seating on BA. IMO, BA business class is inferior to just about anybody else's.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Polaris is the name that United uses for all their business class now; however, this refers to only the soft product. The hard product, i.e. seats, are currently only available on the 777 and retrofitting is progressing very slowly. That being said, if you can get 2-1-2 on United, it would be so much better than any seating on BA. IMO, BA business class is inferior to just about anybody else's.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

it is a 2-1-2 but a 767

With the recent publicity BA has had re scaling back on service, their older fleet and also the staff attitude, I am now an ABBA member ( anything but British Airways) and would not fly for £300 extra on BA. United has had a mixed response since amalgamating with Continental ( we were one pass frequent flyers with them) however although not as good as 20 years ago, we have had no complaints. If its a direct flight go with it as long as it avoids O'Hare Chicago which is not our favourite US hub with long delays at immigration.

it is a 2-1-2 but a 767

Gary,

With your flight being close to a year away, no way to know until possibly next May what you plane type, seating arrangements and real Polaris seats or not. will be and that is subject to change on the day of the flight. Right now we are all simply guessing and not an educated guess as so much can happen between now and next June. Appears you now need to make a decision and get what you get.

Sorry to be so blunt but, have seen flights change on the day of the flight due to issues not even related to the flight I was taking. When they are juggling so many aircraft and even more flights everyday things change and if you are going to fly have to roll with the punches as they come.

Yes - BA is not as good as it used to be but I still like their seats. IMO, one of the worst airlines is United. It seems that United changes their itineraries every month and sometimes the change causes hours of waiting. We received our second flight change from United yesterday and they warn that there could be more to come (only booked them because it didn't cost any money - only credit card points). If you are on BA's 747-400, Regent will book the seats for you but you can immediately go into the website and change them to the ones you desire (at no cost).

In terms of comparing a Coach seat to a Business Class seat, I would pay double 300 GBP per person to sit in a comfortable seat with better food and service. Regardless of the airline you select, I bet that you wife will be as happy as one can be when you don't like flying. Based on the airlines we have flown, I would rate their Business Class seats as follows:

1. Cathay Pacific

2. Singapore Airlines

3. Qantas

4. British Airways

5. Air Canada

6. Lufthansa

7. American

8. KLM

9, United

In terms of comparing a Coach seat to a Business Class seat, I would pay double 300 GBP per person to sit in a comfortable seat with better food and service.

I would too but we are not comparing coach to business.

Yes - BA is not as good as it used to be but I still like their seats. IMO, one of the worst airlines is United. It seems that United changes their itineraries every month and sometimes the change causes hours of waiting. We received our second flight change from United yesterday and they warn that there could be more to come (only booked them because it didn't cost any money - only credit card points). If you are on BA's 747-400, Regent will book the seats for you but you can immediately go into the website and change them to the ones you desire (at no cost).

In terms of comparing a Coach seat to a Business Class seat, I would pay double 300 GBP per person to sit in a comfortable seat with better food and service. Regardless of the airline you select, I bet that you wife will be as happy as one can be when you don't like flying. Based on the airlines we have flown, I would rate their Business Class seats as follows:

1. Cathay Pacific

2. Singapore Airlines

3. Qantas

4. British Airways

5. Air Canada

6. Lufthansa

7. American

8. KLM

9, United

Re your comment that Regent can book seats for you if flying 747/400 for no charge. In the U.K. That does not happen for free. Only people who can book seats at time of booking are BA Sliver and Gold card members.

Also in U.K. If you do not have the above card membership you have to wait until the full balance is paid to Regent and even then it can be some time before you can go on and pay for your choice of seat. Often by then there is very little seat choice. Jean.

Re your comment that Regent can book seats for you if flying 747/400 for no charge. In the U.K. That does not happen for free. Only people who can book seats at time of booking are BA Sliver and Gold card members.

Also in U.K. If you do not have the above card membership you have to wait until the full balance is paid to Regent and even then it can be some time before you can go on and pay for your choice of seat. Often by then there is very little seat choice. Jean.

What you described is true in the U.S. as well ....... unless Regent books your flight. Apparently in BA's U.S. contract (which may or may not still be in effect), Regent books seats. The paperwork they give us has the Booking/Confirmation number so we go into the website and change the seats ourselves.

I do tend to forget that the balance of the cruise must be paid in full before seats are booked in the U.K.. On the other hand, you can book much further in advance (without deviation) than those of us in the U.S. can. Do U.K. residents have to pay in full approximately 4 months prior to the cruise (depending on the length?).

As has been said by many of us on the board, deviating is so much easier than waiting for Regent to decide what flights to put you on. When we deviate, we have flights and are able to access our booking online within 24 hours. Also, the chance of finding a non-stop flight is greater. I still can find no reason not to deviate for a cost that is less than a Regent Choice Excursion.

What you described is true in the U.S. as well ....... unless Regent books your flight. Apparently in BA's U.S. contract (which may or may not still be in effect), Regent books seats. The paperwork they give us has the Booking/Confirmation number so we go into the website and change the seats ourselves.

I do tend to forget that the balance of the cruise must be paid in full before seats are booked in the U.K.. On the other hand, you can book much further in advance (without deviation) than those of us in the U.S. can. Do U.K. residents have to pay in full approximately 4 months prior to the cruise (depending on the length?).

As has been said by many of us on the board, deviating is so much easier than waiting for Regent to decide what flights to put you on. When we deviate, we have flights and are able to access our booking online within 24 hours. Also, the chance of finding a non-stop flight is greater. I still can find no reason not to deviate for a cost that is less than a Regent Choice Excursion.

My comments are regarding Regent booked flights. No free seats booked here as I said unless you have the BA status.

We pay a 20% deposit when booked in U.K. And balance is 90 days pre sail date. Likewise the paperwork has the flight locator number and you can check your booking. Jean.