Hamburg Sailaway

Host Hattie

Hello, there is also a send off for other ships, but not as big as for QM2.

Also the send off for QM2 is a quieter from last year, because QM2 cannot dock at Hafencity-Terminal. There's too much mud at the ground and her draught is to high.

QM2 docks at Steinwerder Terminal which is more an industrial area.

Because of this QM2 does not pass the " Landungsbrücken" where many people gave her a great send off. But there are other areas at river Elbe where the people are waiting for "their Queen".

I hope not. The problem is, that mud which is there could not be taken away all times of the year. There's only a small window from January to March. This has to do with environmental reasons which I do not really understand.

The mud is no reason for not docking at Hafencity Terminal, because her draught is less than the draught of QM2. But QV and QE where often docked to the Altona-Terminal. Also from this Terminal you do not pass the Landungsbrücken.

The sailaway out of Hamburg was terrific when we did it a couple of years ago. It was the anniversary of the QM2's ( I think) first sailaway from Hamburg--please correct me if I am wrong.

There was a parade of boats accompanying us, music and hundreds and hundreds of people lining the route. We passed a hotel that was setting off fireworks, and we were given flags to wave from our balcony.

It was very festive!

Ricki

That sounds amazing, perhaps I should wait for QM2 but she only seems to do it as a two night one way trip and I liked the idea of the 4 nighter.

We did it as a 7 day before the crossing, but didn't realize it was sold as a 2 day, 3 day and 2 day in Europe. This cut up itinerary made for an "interesting" experience.

Ricki

We will be boarding QM2 in Hamburg later this month to cruise the Norwegian Fjords. Cunard has asked us to board earlier than originally planned, since they want to give us a mini cruise of the harbour, allowing us to see the skyline and the new Elbphilharmonie concert hall. Brilliant idea! Since reading your posts, I am now wondering if we might hope for a sailaway "send-off" as well??? Needless to say, we are looking forward to it very much.

Morven

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Try the October trip next year 4 days.

Thanks, I found that one after I posted, now I'm torn. The March date is better for us and it's currently quite a bit cheaper.

We will be boarding QM2 in Hamburg later this month to cruise the Norwegian Fjords. Cunard has asked us to board earlier than originally planned, since they want to give us a mini cruise of the harbour, allowing us to see the skyline and the new Elbphilharmonie concert hall. Brilliant idea! Since reading your posts, I am now wondering if we might hope for a sailaway "send-off" as well??? Needless to say, we are looking forward to it very much.

Morven

That sounds great, let us know what it's like.

We did a four nighter to/from Hamburg back in - 2008 I think it was. There were half a million out to welcome us on arrival - at 2am! And according to the Captain, a similar number there to see us depart at 4am next day! It's a must do on QM2 I think,

Done this a couple of times - once on QM2 and once on QE. Decent send off on both occasions from the locals.

It is a shame Hafen City is not used anymore - great for just walking off the ship and up into Hamburg or indeed catching the local bus. Altona is walkable too.

The North sea and the gales were very strong this January - Captain Inger Thorhauge was regularly updating us with the severe weather conditions - I've been on smoother Transatlantics in January. I enjoy this 4 day trip though - two good sea days and Hamburg is generally a good place to roam around (G20 summits excepted).

Morven

Do you mind if I ask - what sort of time have they asked you to board?

I hope not. The problem is, that mud which is there could not be taken away all times of the year. There's only a small window from January to March. This has to do with environmental reasons which I do not really understand.

Environmental issues are very complex. I was just wondering whether high winds at this time of the year may contribute to more mud moving from the North sea into the Elbe river, but this is just a guess!

Hopefully, this link will work, it's a video of our sailaway. If it doesn't connect, email me at ricki at aol.com, and I will send it to you in an email.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6uixzrbw7hnx3s/Hamburg%20Sailaway.mp4?dl=0

Ricki

That worked for me, thank you for sharing it.

We've departed from Hamburg twice on the QM2 (2014 and 2016), and frankly, and sadly, it was not much at all. Not many people out, no great noise, banners, flags, balloons, just a big meh! Oh well. We still love the experience on board.