Oceania Air Los Angles to Bangkok

travelor80

I can say Delta or United and be wrong. It is pot luck as O has multiple contracts and carriers they use and you have no say unless you DEVIATE.

Suggest you do a search on Air Deviation. It is worth the extra money - this way you can arrive a few days early or leave a day later and pick the flights you want.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2403969&highlight=Air+deviation

It's a long time, and we haven't gone to the Far East with Oceania. But in February 2008 we had an Oceania cruise from Auckland to Sydney, and in May we had a Viking riverboat cruise in China. We did our own air on the NZ-Australia cruise which at the time was a better deal for us than using the ship's air (we found Air New Zealand was great in premium economy at the time, but I question whether that would be usable for your trip anyway) .... for the Viking cruise we did use their air since it was a super bargain. We left from L.A. on the Oceania cruise even though we live in NYC. I have family in L.A. (my home town) so it was easy to visit there first. For the Viking cruise, we flew from NYC.

Just FYI. Not trying to convince anyone of anything, especially since our information is pretty old by now.

And maybe I shouldn't have bothered ... but since I have, you might want to check out what you can do on your own. Then compare it to the ship's air and/or a deviation.

That Air New Zealand flight on a 747 was one of the best we've ever taken. Business had flat-back seats but in PE we had luxurious seats that tilted way back although they weren't lie-flat beds. But there was at least a foot of room between the rows so it was easy to get in and out when necessary ... I think from the looks of things we preferred the PE to Business because we had all the business amenities but from my experience the seats were more comfortable. No, they weren't flat-back but I don't really like those anyway!

Just my opinion which at this late date may not mean anything at all! Just something to think about ...

We will be on the same cruise, 4/11/18 to 4/29/18, as you will be except we are flying out of SFO and your best course of action is take the air credit and booking your flights on Cathay Pacific. A quick scan shows Cathay Pacific as the only airline doing a 1-stop service for your routes, others are 2 stops or mixed at best. There are no non-stops. You will save roughly $270pp. You may want to even come in a day early.

Because we are doing a pre-cruise and post-cruise, our routing is SFO-HKG, stopover in Hong Kong, HKG-SIN-REP, stopover at Siem Reap, REP-BKK. On our return, our routes are BOM-DEL, stopover in New Delhi, DEL-SIN-SFO. With all this flying, it is only $22 per person more than our air credit. So, tell your agent, you want the air credit and book it yourself.

Thank you. I also did research and agree Cathay Pacific is the best but thought I read that if you do not use Oceania air you would not get the OLife Choice option. We selected the 4 free shore excursions which are worth quite a bit. Will see if can get air deviation credit and keep OLife. Choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you. I also did research and agree Cathay Pacific is the best but thought I read that if you do not use Oceania air you would not get the OLife Choice option. We selected the 4 free shore excursions which are worth quite a bit. Will see if can get air deviation credit and keep OLife. Choice.

I think that you are a little confused about the terms of O Life as well as not using correct terminology.

1 You can get O Life without using Oceania air - I do that all the time.

2 If you choose not to use O air, you will get credit for the airfare - not "air deviation credit". You probably meant to say - get O Life and get air credit (no deviation).

3 Air deviation is a term used to pay a fee for using Oceania air but choosing your preferred flights that may involve different flights/departures/arrivals than what O would give you as a default air package. Sometimes that involves only the deviation fee but sometimes also additional fees if the flights YOU choose are more expensive than the ones O would choose for you.

I hope this helps a bit.

Thank you. I did mean air credit but thanks for the explanation. I too have booked my own flights before but that was before they offered O Life and I thought I read somewhere that you had to use their air but hope that is not the case. Since final payment is due 6 months in advance trying to get all the information I can. Do not need to go in early as have already been to Bangkok and we are going on the Taj extention so do not need to stay any extra days. Hopefully will not have to pay additional fees for flights we want but probably will have to to get what we want.

We are doing HK-BKK cruise in Feb and did our own air. One of our cruise mates in June did a similar O trip in 2016 on O's Air. I believe O flew them on the international legs on Air China through Peking both ways.

Might they fly you Mumbai-Peking-LAX likewise? Put in a request for a deviation and see what O bones. Ack with.

If you do decide to deviate do it as early as possible. Don't wait until final payment. You can do the deviation as early as 270 days prior to cruise date. The earlier you do this will increase odds of you getting the flights you want with any surcharges (other than the deviation fee).

Thank you. I did mean air credit but thanks for the explanation. I too have booked my own flights before but that was before they offered O Life and I thought I read somewhere that you had to use their air but hope that is not the case. Since final payment is due 6 months in advance trying to get all the information I can. Do not need to go in early as have already been to Bangkok and we are going on the Taj extention so do not need to stay any extra days. Hopefully will not have to pay additional fees for flights we want but probably will have to to get what we want.

If you want to choose your flights you have 2 options

1) take the air credit & book your own (yes you can keep the O Life perks)

2) choose the flights you want & pay the deviation fee but as Paul said start the process at about 270 days out in your case I would start now working with your TA or the air dept

If you stick with just the included air you will not find out the routing until around 75 days out & you will get what they give you no choices

then your options will be more limited

JMO

We did the air deviation for this cruise exactly 270 days out. We paid an up charge because we booked different airlines. Cathay Pacific from JFK to BKK and Delta from BOM to JFK. With the air deviation fee and the up charge we paid $37.00 more then if we booked it without I.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Forums mobile app

We did the air deviation for this cruise exactly 270 days out. We paid an up charge because we booked different airlines. Cathay Pacific from JFK to BKK and Delta from BOM to JFK. With the air deviation fee and the up charge we paid $37.00 more then if we booked it without I.

Wow - that's what I call a good deal!

travelor80,

The problem is not OLife, but the free "post-cruise". I tried getting the free post-cruise, but Oceania told my agent that you had to use their air. Since the Taj Mahal extension was waitlisted, I got the voyage credit, not $700 per person, but $500 per person because I was on the group rate. I ended up getting the air credit also.

Sorry but, that $37.00 has to be a typo. The deviation alone is $375. And with upcharge for airlines, could it be $3,700??

Sorry but, that $37.00 has to be a typo. The deviation alone is $375. And with upcharge for airlines, could it be $3,700??

Yes it was a typo it's $34.00 Not $37.00. I have never seen an Oceania air charge of more then $1100.00 included in the fare.

Yes it was a typo it's $34.00 Not $37.00. I have never seen an Oceania air charge of more then $1100.00 included in the fare.

Thanks for the correction. Guessing you avoided the $175 pp deviation charge by booking a pre cruise hotel?

Not true -- the air credit Papeete/Sydney was $3000 pp. I had trouble finding flights cheaper than this (as the Tahiti segment is always $$$)

The Sydney RT is $1438 pp air credit. This we took the credit and using FF miles.

Not true -- the air credit Papeete/Sydney was $3000 pp. I had trouble finding flights cheaper than this (as the Tahiti segment is always $$$)

The Sydney RT is $1438 pp air credit. This we took the credit and using FF miles.

Your correct. When we did our Sydney to Auckland cruise a few years ago, We took the air credit and for almost the same price flew Premium Economy on Qantas.