Best time to cruise Australia

srbbeachbum

Late February/early March is the best time for NZ. The weather is more settled then and usually not to cold in the southern parts.

It will still be quite hot in Australia then so it will depend on what Australia ports you are thinking of cruising to. If you're looking at doing a cruise that goes up to the northern parts of Australia then it will be very hot and humid.

I would be doing it now if the cruises were available. It is the dry and beautiful season up north, no problem with stingers, here in Sydney today it was about 23/70 degrees today (admittedly rather warm for late winter) I guess it would be coolish in NZ but I personally loathe sightseeing in very hot weather. Unfortunately many cruises are in our summer as it is the low season on the other side of the world.

Late February/early March is the best time for NZ. The weather is more settled then and usually not to cold in the southern parts.

It will still be quite hot in Australia then so it will depend on what Australia ports you are thinking of cruising to. If you're looking at doing a cruise that goes up to the northern parts of Australia then it will be very hot and humid.

Thanks for your response. I appreciate it.:)

I would be doing it now if the cruises were available. It is the dry and beautiful season up north, no problem with stingers, here in Sydney today it was about 23/70 degrees today (admittedly rather warm for late winter) I guess it would be coolish in NZ but I personally loathe sightseeing in very hot weather. Unfortunately many cruises are in our summer as it is the low season on the other side of the world.

Thank you. I don't like sightseeing in the heat either, but can tolerate it if I need to.

I would also be thinking about what I want to get out of this trip. If your goal is a nice cruise with the chance to spend a few hours in some coastal ports--then an Australia/NZ cruise is great. (Although I agree they tend to sail at times which aren't the best weather-wise.)

However, if your goal is to really "see" those countries, then do a land-based tour, either guided or self-guided. Having been to both countries several times (including a few years living in Australia), I think you miss some of the best parts when you have to focus on the ports. Also, a day in port gives you just the tiniest taste of what Australia and NZ have to offer.

Should you choose the cruise, consider spending time before or after your cruise in Australia and/or NZ to see some places missed on the cruise or places you just want to spend more time in, e.g. Sydney.

I would also be thinking about what I want to get out of this trip. If your goal is a nice cruise with the chance to spend a few hours in some coastal ports--then an Australia/NZ cruise is great. (Although I agree they tend to sail at times which aren't the best weather-wise.)

However, if your goal is to really "see" those countries, then do a land-based tour, either guided or self-guided. Having been to both countries several times (including a few years living in Australia), I think you miss some of the best parts when you have to focus on the ports. Also, a day in port gives you just the tiniest taste of what Australia and NZ have to offer.

Should you choose the cruise, consider spending time before or after your cruise in Australia and/or NZ to see some places missed on the cruise or places you just want to spend more time in, e.g. Sydney.

Thanks. We most likely will take your suggestion and spend some time doing some land tours along with a cruise. :)