How can I help make your visit better?

drake2014

I thought it was time to start a new thread for advice since it's been almost a year and the other thread is getting really long.

Feel free to ask me anything about my home, I want everyone to enjoy their time here as much as possible!

Happy travels!

-Drake

We are coming in April and are renting a car. Plan to hit a beach on the way back to the ship. My question is what do you recommend and is there parking available at most beaches?

The right beach for you depends on what you are looking for. Quiet and serene? Lively and exciting? Lots of amenities? Tell me what you want to do and I'll help you pick the right place.

There's usually plenty of parking at all the beaches.

Is there a sports bar that will be showing NCAA games on Saturdays in December?

Thanks so much!

You have a couple choices:

Pier 69 is my favorite, 5 TV's (Might be 6 by then) and they always have the game on. Tabra will be your bartender most likely, make sure to get a cruzan confusion from her.

Lost Dog Pub is more of a dive bar atmosphere with old school tvs and foosball tables. They'll probably have it on too and they have ice cold beer.

Hi Drake

Not as a cruiser but my husband and I are thinking about renting an apt on St. Croix for a few weeks. I love the beach. Any area in particular you would recommend we look?

Oh that sounds great! Well as everyone here knows I'm partial to the west end but I know most visitors want to do some shopping and dining out east. I would recommend you see what's available in Frederiksted and then branch out to mid-island if nothing strikes your fancy.

I've heard great things about Caribbean Breeze Apartments, they are up on airbnb if you want to take a look (https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2989620) right in the heart of my town.

You have a couple choices:

Pier 69 is my favorite, 5 TV's (Might be 6 by then) and they always have the game on. Tabra will be your bartender most likely, make sure to get a cruzan confusion from her.

Lost Dog Pub is more of a dive bar atmosphere with old school tvs and foosball tables. They'll probably have it on too and they have ice cold beer.

thanks.

The right beach for you depends on what you are looking for. Quiet and serene? Lively and exciting? Lots of amenities? Tell me what you want to do and I'll help you pick the right place.

There's usually plenty of parking at all the beaches.

Fairly quiet but would like a beach bar to purchase a drink or two.

Hi Drake,

Are you able to clarify if Sandy Point NWR is indeed open on days that cruise ships are in port?

I am aware of seasonal closures as well as weekday closures, however, I have read from a few different sources that the area is open any days during the winter months(including weekdays) that cruise ships are docked in F'sted.

We are planning on going to Sand Castle OTB to use their facilities for the day that we're there. If open to the public, (roughly)how long of a walk down the beach would it be to the point(or part of the way) from SCOTB?

Also unfortunately, while the bar will be open, the restaurant/cafe will be closed when we're there. I was thinking that we may head up the beach to Turtle's Deli to grab some lunch if we get hungry. How far up the beach from SCOTB?

Thanks.

Oh that sounds great! Well as everyone here knows I'm partial to the west end but I know most visitors want to do some shopping and dining out east. I would recommend you see what's available in Frederiksted and then branch out to mid-island if nothing strikes your fancy.

I've heard great things about Caribbean Breeze Apartments, they are up on airbnb if you want to take a look (https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2989620) right in the heart of my town.

Thank you! Will check it out.

We will be in St. Croix via ship on Sunday, March 13th. Will we have any issues with places being closed (Cruzan distillery for example)?

Not really, about 80% of our cruise ships come on Sundays. Cruzan will be open. A few bars and restaurants might be closed but generally things are open.

Hi Drake,

Are you able to clarify if Sandy Point NWR is indeed open on days that cruise ships are in port?

I am aware of seasonal closures as well as weekday closures, however, I have read from a few different sources that the area is open any days during the winter months(including weekdays) that cruise ships are docked in F'sted.

We are planning on going to Sand Castle OTB to use their facilities for the day that we're there. If open to the public, (roughly)how long of a walk down the beach would it be to the point(or part of the way) from SCOTB?

Also unfortunately, while the bar will be open, the restaurant/cafe will be closed when we're there. I was thinking that we may head up the beach to Turtle's Deli to grab some lunch if we get hungry. How far up the beach from SCOTB?

Thanks.

Sandy Point is only open on the weekend. The Rangers don't care much about the ship schedules. Do not ever enter Sandy Point when the gates are closed, I know it looks like an easy walk around but if a Park Ranger catches you out there it's a felony.

Sandcastle to Turtles is a bit of a walk but if you're in decent shape it's certainly possible. I'd say it's about half a mile one way. Try the Raven and say hi to Bob and Mary.

Sandy Point is only open on the weekend. The Rangers don't care much about the ship schedules. Do not ever enter Sandy Point when the gates are closed, I know it looks like an easy walk around but if a Park Ranger catches you out there it's a felony.

Sandcastle to Turtles is a bit of a walk but if you're in decent shape it's certainly possible. I'd say it's about half a mile one way. Try the Raven and say hi to Bob and Mary.

Thanks again.

Your answer contradicts the info provided by a couple of other sources such as:

gotostcroix.com

"This beach is only open on the weekends and when there is a cruise ship in port, with the exception of April-August when it is closed entirely due to turtle nesting season"

Sandy Point National Wildlife Refuge Schedules Seasonal Closing

Sandy Point National Wildlife Refuge will be closed to public visitation beginning April 1. The refuge and all of its beaches will remain closed to the public until Saturday, Sept. 1. The refuge will then resume regular open hours Saturdays and Sundays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., which will include weekdays when a cruise ship is in port at Frederiksted.

So I've read one thing also another, and so I'm still not 100% sure what is reliable as being the current policy that will be in effect when we are there....I guess we may end up taking a taxi down to F'sted pool(Vincent F. Mason Sr.) and check out for sure whether it's open when we arrive.

Thanks again.

Your answer contradicts the info provided by a couple of other sources such as:

gotostcroix.com

"This beach is only open on the weekends and when there is a cruise ship in port, with the exception of April-August when it is closed entirely due to turtle nesting season"

Sandy Point National Wildlife Refuge Schedules Seasonal Closing

Sandy Point National Wildlife Refuge will be closed to public visitation beginning April 1. The refuge and all of its beaches will remain closed to the public until Saturday, Sept. 1. The refuge will then resume regular open hours Saturdays and Sundays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., which will include weekdays when a cruise ship is in port at Frederiksted.

So I've read one thing also another, and so I'm still not 100% sure what is reliable as being the current policy that will be in effect when we are there....I guess we may end up taking a taxi down to F'sted pool(Vincent F. Mason Sr.) and check out for sure whether it's open when we arrive.

Huh that is so strange! I've never seen it open during the week but maybe I'm wrong. The next time there's a ship in port during the week I'll swing down there and look for you. Sorry for all the confusion.

We will be in St. Croix on Friday, Dec 18th. from 8am - 4pm. Currently on our possible to see list are sandcastle beach, Cruzan Rum tour, or maybe even a Jolly Roger sail. Nothing set in stone, and we are open to any other suggestions. We are generally pretty flexible travelers. Do you have any recommendations for how to spend the day?

We will be in St. Croix on Friday, Dec 18th. from 8am - 4pm. Currently on our possible to see list are sandcastle beach, Cruzan Rum tour, or maybe even a Jolly Roger sail. Nothing set in stone, and we are open to any other suggestions. We are generally pretty flexible travelers. Do you have any recommendations for how to spend the day?

I think you've got a good start there! Might want to check out the Domino Club up in the rainforest and hit Pier 69 for some great food. If you like history you should tour the Fort and the Whim Museum, or take a walking tour with CHANT.

I don't want to overload you all at once, let me know what you think.

The next time there's a ship in port during the week I'll swing down there and look for you.

That would be great.

It looks like a nice vacant stretch for a pleasant stroll down the beach, but we surely don't want to break any rules.

That would be great.

It looks like a nice vacant stretch for a pleasant stroll down the beach, but we surely don't want to break any rules.

Ok, I just spoke with one of the Park Rangers and this is what he told me. "We used to open for every cruise ship but within the last year we kept finding lots of trash on the beach so we've only been opening up on the weekends when we can patrol. If they come down and the gates are closed have them come knock at the Ranger Station, as long as there's a ship in port we'll let them in."

Hope that helps!

Hi, my sis and I will be in St Croix first week in Dec for a day. We are looking for a beach where we could rent chairs & umbrella, with calm water. We will be taking a taxi from the pier where the cruise ships dock.

I've been searching your posts, you are so helpful! Is sandcastle beach the place to go. Is it a restaurant/ hotel? Or is it just a beach. This will be our 1st time in magnificent St Criox.

Thanks for your help, Kathy