Costa Maya Dive Op?

momto2js

Oh absolutely!

Catherine and Abel at Gypsea Divers. (http://www.gypseadivers.com)

They may take a few days to respond to an email. Don't get discouraged. She and her husband Abel have the shop, and do it all there. They are the epitome of people doing what they love for a living and it shows. Each time I go, it's like visiting friends, not like doing business.

At the Costa Maya Pier, get off the ship and walk completely through the port facility shopping/bar area. You'll then see taxis. They charge $2.00 per person each way for the short trip into Mahahual. Tell the driver you want to go to "Gypsea Divers, right by the Nacional Beach Club". The dive shop is small, so it's easier to give the driver the larger land mark.

One thing, Gypsea Divers does not take credit cards. We usually have several divers, going for two or three dives when we're there; so to avoid having to deal with cash, I usually send Catherine the money about a week ahead of my trip via PayPal, which always works well. If it's just you, probably easier to bring cash.

Please tell Catherine Harris says "Hi"!

Harris

Denver, CO

We spent a week in Mahahual a couple Aprils ago. Unfortunately it was too windy the whole time we were there so we couldn't dive. But we did make contact with Gypsea divers and would have gone with them. I liked that they were very safety conscious and wouldn't go out unless the conditions were good. I am going on a similar cruise in Feb. with my sister. We want to dive in Grand Cayman and Cozumel. We are just going to enjoy a beach day in Mahahual. Can you please tell me what operators you used in Grand Cayman and Cozumel if you have dived in those ports? Thanks.

Can you please tell me what operators you used in Grand Cayman and Cozumel if you have dived in those ports? Thanks.

For Cozumel, I strongly recommend Aldora (www.aldora.com). They can book up early, so I'd advise booking early.

For Grand Cayman, I've not yet dove with anyone I like. I'm going in October, and have booked with Epic Divers (www.epicdivers.com). They seem very good thus far. Super responsive, and they offer port pick-up and return.

Harris

Denver, CO

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
We are heading back to the Western Caribbean. DH will dive with the same operators as last year, in most of the ports but need a recommendation for Costa Maya. Any suggestions?

Doctor Dive! Charlie is a great dive master and it's a great shop!