SD I Caribbean Itinerary suggestions not to miss

Rzanjo

After thoroughly enjoying SD II in the Caribbean last year, thought we would try out the southern ports of SD I. We chose this voyage for ease of flying in and out of St. Maarten and because it gives two full days and nights in St. Barth.

Are there any favorites when visiting Montserrat, Iles d' France, Saba, or St. Kitts/Nevis? A great beach, shop, restaurant, bar, or activity?

We typically don't do formal excursions. We enjoyed Shoal beach in Anguilla, the Baths in Virgin Gorda, and the bars and beach at Jost Van Dyke on the last trip. We just walked around the port in Tortola and St. John.

Thanks

In Monserrat, do take the tour -- you will see the volcano center and, most importantly, the area devastated by the volcano. They are trying to restart their tourism business, and it is a fascinating excursion. No beaches at Saba, but it's fun to take the tour and see the towns. St Kitts/Nevis have some nice spots -- botanical gardens on Nevis and a few upscale hotels which are nice for lunch.

Otherwise, just enjoy the ship!

Vandrefalk

I strongly second Vandrefalk's recommendation about taking the tour on Montserrat. I believe it is the only way you can get into the daytime entry zone of the exclusion zone. When we did the trip, we sailed away from the island in late afternoon. Passing the town of Plymouth at dusk, we were all taken by the stillness of the city, deeply buried in grey ash. You could hear a pin drop on deck. When we were there, SeaDream was the only ship that called on the island, which was desperately trying to rebuild its economy. Buy something.

In Saba, you must take the ride to "The Top." Some nice artisan shops up there (at least when we were there some years ago). Also, you get the view of the airport, which is supposedly the shortest commercial runway in the world, with the edge of a cliff on one end and the mountain on the other. :eek:

V and Trapper are, as usual, right on. We sail SeaDream for the experience on board, never the itinerary. We are fortunate to have seen most of the islands at least once and revel in the luxury of being on board when most others aren't. Saba is interesting but definitely a one and done. We do not like Nevis and don't get the concept of going to a resort to buy lunch when lunch on board will inevitably be better and is already paid for. We would spring for the tour on Montserrat as our only time to Montserrat was a helicopter trip. So, St. This or St. That really makes no difference to us as long as we see them from a Bali Bed or the Pool Deck.:D With something cold and liquid of course.:D

V and Trapper are, as usual, right on. We sail SeaDream for the experience on board, never the itinerary. We are fortunate to have seen most of the islands at least once and revel in the luxury of being on board when most others aren't. Saba is interesting but definitely a one and done. We do not like Nevis and don't get the concept of going to a resort to buy lunch when lunch on board will inevitably be better and is already paid for. We would spring for the tour on Montserrat as our only time to Montserrat was a helicopter trip. So, St. This or St. That really makes no difference to us as long as we see them from a Bali Bed or the Pool Deck.:D With something cold and liquid of course.:D

Haha.......luv ya Jim !

Rzanjo dear chum, all the islands are great.

Check out the Activities BEFORE you board.

No one has mentioned Isles de France: it is delightful (remember it ONLY takes Euros).

You can go for a scooter ride round the island (MUST wear helmet).

The local delicacy is a pate from Normandy (the island has a link to this region in France): you can get it from the deli counter of the supermarket. Pick up a baguette, beurre avec sel and a Provençal rose and have it on the beach.

The cemetery in town is gorgeous.

Oh they have special cakes too (Devil something ?).

Haha.......luv ya Jim !

Rzanjo dear chum, all the islands are great.

Check out the Activities BEFORE you board.

No one has mentioned Isles de France: it is delightful (remember it ONLY takes Euros).

You can go for a scooter ride round the island (MUST wear helmet).

The local delicacy is a pate from Normandy (the island has a link to this region in France): you can get it from the deli counter of the supermarket. Pick up a baguette, beurre avec sel and a Provençal rose and have it on the beach.

The cemetery in town is gorgeous.

Oh they have special cakes too (Devil something ?).

Two things. If Hum were washed up on a deserted island, he would find the very best coconuts and a special spring water to wash it down.......And the visual of Mr. Hum in a scooter helmet is hard to forget. Anyone with cameras, please get a shot of Hum avec casque, please???:eek::D

Love the bars of Nevis! You must go to Sunshine's ( the cab will take you) and have a Killer Bee (or two). Nice, relaxing and totally "Caribbean Beach bar" vibe. We'll be back there in February.

Another favorite of our is Tortola...great yachting atmosphere with a British accent. Take a tour (It may be a little rough ride) and discover the off road beauty of Tortola.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Two things. If Hum were washed up on a deserted island, he would find the very best coconuts and a special spring water to wash it down.......And the visual of Mr. Hum in a scooter helmet is hard to forget. Anyone with cameras, please get a shot of Hum avec casque, please???:eek::D

Haha

Hum did'nt say HE would go out on a scooter !

But HE has bought the pate, butter, baguette and bottle of rose.

You know Hum too well Jim !

Haha

Hum was just trying to encourage the non-winos (including beer drinkers) amongst us. Yes, suppose it is hypocritical but "good" hypocritical right ?

Of who ruddy cares.

Just go out and enjoy yourself whether you do it ALL, some things or Hum and Jim's preferred "activity": NO THING.

Being onboard is lovely.

You can pester Jim !!

Edited by ho-hum

Hi John and Mindy!!

You asked about: Montserrat, Iles d' France, Saba, or St. Kitts/Nevis? A great beach, shop, restaurant, bar, or activity?

Iles d'France I did the hike led by Hayden. Difficult and rewarding views at the top.

On Saba you must do the Crispeen trail hike. I've done it twice now and LOVE it. The guide is a spry 60 something and can run circles around all of us. The rainforest is lovely. The guide tells you about the local plants you see. The view at the top is again lovely.

On Nevis I did...you guessed it...another hike. This was was also wonderful! I love getting out into nature.

St kitts we just sat at Carambola beach which is where the ship docks.

Enjoy! I'll miss you guys! <3

• 4 weeks later...