Disembarkation in St. Thomas

Erica@cruisecritic

I poked around this board and the St. Thomas one, and not finding any great or up-to-date answers, I'll try my luck here.

How long can you stay onboard SeaDream when disembarking in St. Thomas?

Our flight is at 5:43. Posts from a few years back on this board advised arriving at the airport 3 hours early. Is that still the case? According to CruiseCal, we're the only ship in port that day.

Any recommendations for hotels with day rooms/passes or daylong tours? My concern is going swimming or getting sweaty and then not being able to shower before our flights, which don't get us home until late. Thanks!

Hi ,

Last month we flew STT/SJU to catch our "real" plane. STT was an early flight so we did not get to stay aboard for a nice breakfast. Usually they let you stay till about 10am, local regulations can vary this. Back to STT. Morning flights have much less traffic than afternoons but it still took us about 1.5 hours for the slowest checkin ever. We have done the afternoon zoo at STT and avoid like the plague but sometimes it is just necessary. Yes, I would get there around 3 hours before the flight. We booked a day room in a hotel in town which has changed hands so not sure of the name. They gave us a suite for a very reasonable price. Others can give you beach front properties I bet. Yes, a nap, a shower, a lunch before dealing with STT would be great. Good luck and have a great trip.:D

I think the latest you can stay onboard is usually around 10 am. The last time we flew home from STT after SeaDream, we had to stand at the open air ticket counter for a few hours before they would let us inside to wait. You might want to consider getting a day pass at a hotel near the airport. We waited at Best Western Emerald on one trip, which was only a few minutes from the airport.

You'll be able to disembark around 10AM.

Then it is only about 10 minutes to the Emerald Beach Hotel (adjacent to

the airport) that does afford a day room rate.

The hotel is not grand but it is on the beach and they do have a restaurant

and bar. Our day room rate in November was $197 US.

Hope this helps.

I poked around this board and the St. Thomas one, and not finding any great or up-to-date answers, I'll try my luck here.

How long can you stay onboard SeaDream when disembarking in St. Thomas?

Our flight is at 5:43. Posts from a few years back on this board advised arriving at the airport 3 hours early. Is that still the case? According to CruiseCal, we're the only ship in port that day.

Any recommendations for hotels with day rooms/passes or daylong tours? My concern is going swimming or getting sweaty and then not being able to shower before our flights, which don't get us home until late. Thanks!

You are going to be off the ship by 10:00. The last time we were there we made arrangements and they held our luggage for us while we went downtown. We picked it up on the way back to the airport.

STT can be a circus. Remember very few ships embark or disembark in STT, but all of the yachties from the BVI fly in and out of STT. I would plan on beig at the airport at least 2.5 hours ahead of departure. You have to clear customs as you leave, so it takes a while to get through the line. A word to the wise. Find a porter and give them a nice tip and you get to skip most of the lines.

If you want t bring liquor home you can buy it after security and carry it with you on the plane. No need to check it or put it in your suitcases. It is OK to keep with you for domestic connections.

Edited by zqvol

I would really appreciate similar advice for St Martin/Maarten.

Our Liat flight leaves at 4.45. Would it be worth booking a day room or somewhere for a lazy lunch close to the airport? Recommendations?

Just over a month to go - can't wait!

I would really appreciate similar advice for St Martin/Maarten.

Our Liat flight leaves at 4.45. Would it be worth booking a day room or somewhere for a lazy lunch close to the airport? Recommendations?

Just over a month to go - can't wait!

We have stayed at the Sonesta Maho Beach Resort right by the airport and enjoyed both the facility and the food. Also right near the world famous Sunset Bar. Great for watching airplanes and near nekkid wimmen......:eek::D

We flew out of St. Martin this past Saturday. There is a fairly nice executive lounge at the airport, which you can access with Priority Pass. I imagine you can also buy your way in. However, you cannot check your luggage until 3 hours before your flight, which means you can't get to the lounge which is past security. So don't show up too early. Also, you can't count on where the ship will dock. It should dock on the French side, but the seas were too rough this weekend to do so, and we docked on the Dutch side with the mega ships.

One more thing. Because of high winds, the plane left early. It could not take off with a full fuel load, and we had to divert to San Juan to top off the tank. That made for tight connections for some people at CLT. Just a word of caution.