Need insurance suggestions for specifics

gritsnc

A large group of our family is cruising in August. We are driving to and from the port. My grandma is in bad shape and we all want to be covered if we have to cancel the trip or leave the trip early (she isn't going) to be with her. So I'm looking for insurance for that reason. Any suggestions? Are there any plans that have "no questions asked" type coverage?

Suggest you call Steve with no. on his website:

www.tripinsurancestore.com

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This ^^

He has policies that should work for you, IF you meet the other requirements (not related to Grandma).

CALL him; don't just read policy summaries online,

But to be clear, there are NO "no questions asked" policies.

They ALL require direct proof of loss, and a few other things that are relevant to determine that the claim is valid.

But you don't really want anything that is 'no questions asked", do you?

You just want to be sure that any loss related to Grandma's health declining would be covered.

(Make sure you discuss with Steve just what type of "health decline" is covered.)

Hope all goes well, and you can take and enjoy your trip!

Thank you! I just didn't know if my maternal grandmother would be considered a "close relative". This trip was literally spur of the moment. It was mentioned Sunday and booked today. August was the only time we could all get time off work, kids out of school, dog sitters, etc. Grandma is having major surgery in July, but I'm also trying to keep in mind that she has another daughter AND son here in town to stay with her. I'm just praying she pulls through and that we get no medical emergency calls while on the cruise. :(

Do call a broker, such as Steve, for your specific questions. A few points to discuss:

1. All policies list the specific family relationships covered in their definitions. All the policies Steve sells include grandparents in that. Some other policies may not. All the recognizable names do.

2. If there is a death in the family, is that a covered event for Cancelation as wells as Interruption for all your group? (Both terms are defined in policies, so don't just rely on what you think an interruption means in everyday usage).

3. What if a change in medical condition occurs? In many policies, the doctor must specify that you are needed to care for the patient in order to be a covered cancelation/Interruption reason. Ask what sort of change in condition would be needed to cover everyone on the trip returning home partway through the trip.

4. Since Grandma's surgery is already a known, planned event at this time, ask if there are any limitations on post-surgical complications being covered events.

Do call a broker, such as Steve, for your specific questions. A few points to discuss:

1. All policies list the specific family relationships covered in their definitions. All the policies Steve sells include grandparents in that. Some other policies may not. All the recognizable names do.

2. If there is a death in the family, is that a covered event for Cancelation as wells as Interruption for all your group? (Both terms are defined in policies, so don't just rely on what you think an interruption means in everyday usage).

3. What if a change in medical condition occurs? In many policies, the doctor must specify that you are needed to care for the patient in order to be a covered cancelation/Interruption reason. Ask what sort of change in condition would be needed to cover everyone on the trip returning home partway through the trip.

4. Since Grandma's surgery is already a known, planned event at this time, ask if there are any limitations on post-surgical complications being covered events.

All very good suggestions.

Also, one other question we have found very useful with Steve is something along this line: "Is there anything else I should be asking about, given what you know about our situation?"

He might come up with something else to consider when selecting policies. The more he understands about your/your family's situation, the better he can help.

One other thing to keep in mind as a fallback is the CFAR (Cancel For Any Reason).

MIL isn't too far from 100, and getting closer every day/month/year. She is very healthy thus far... but she *is* in her upper 90's now.......

For several years, we've been careful to include CFAR coverage (it costs more, no surprise) because IF something happens that is not nearly catastrophic (such that no physician would say that we must be nearby, etc.), then we can just cancel or interrupt our trip, and at least get back 75% of the full or pro-rated costs.

(I think it is relatively recent that CFAR includes the "trip interruption for any reason", and that was good news for us.)

And that is "cash back", not a "credit" for some future trip.

Again, hope all goes well and you enjoy your trip!