Bali bound!

RMS Olympic

Just booked a Clipper cruise in Bali next year. My first Star clipper cruise was on the Flyer out of Phuket years ago followed by the Royal in the med and the the Star in the Caribbean. So now it's onto Indonesia...very excited. The flights will probably kill me, but what a way to go:D

Any one else considering this new itinerary?

Since you are on the other side of the pond you are already oh so much closer :D. I have been searching the web for flight schedules with the least impact ( time and number of stops. My starting point is Tampa Florida....

Well by dumb luck I found the best route is to go east, not west via Los Angeles. I can fly to New York, then board Qatar airways to Doha, then. Straight flight to Benoa. Each stop is only about 2 hours.....to go west would include 4 stops:eek:

So check your possible routes for the shortest flights and then sweet talk your mate into going. This trip is perfect, other cruises to this area include many sea days either from Australia or Singapore....so start searching!

• 1 month later...

I just booked 3 weeks, May 6 2-week Spring Crossing, Singapore to Bali, then a week May 20 Bali eastbound. Booked through a travel agent who gave me a nice cabin credit... which will help that single supplement some! Am searching for flights, from Austin, thinking the two hop - Aus - San Fran - Singapore - looks the best, nasty long flights but thinking business class might be required!! I know this will be all new itinerary for them and the first time so it might be a bit rocky, but I think May is better than Oct to avoid the rainy season. Anyone else on crossing or that first week in Bali?? G

I sailed their Star Flyer out of Phuket a number of years ago, it was absolutely fantastic......so in a way they are not new to Asian waters. Considering the general Bali area is so popular as a tourist location, the tours offered should not be difficult for them to design. Me, I am definitely flying business class......already setting money aside. I have spent hours researching flights, airlines and aircraft so that when flight schedules open for my time period I know what to book. As I will start my travel from Tampa I looked at all the routes...San Francisco, LA, Houston Dallas always thinking I would have to go west. Well I found a better route going east. Looked at Singapore airlines out of Jfk and the flight and cost was cheaper and shorter although it meant flying to NY. Then I stumbled on Qatwr airways that fly out of numerous Us cities. By dumb luck they have a daily flight out of Miami with one stop in Doha, then a straight shot to Benoa. The price was even lower that Singapore airways. So now all I have to do is wait to book and also look for a hotel for a one night stay pre cruise. I hope you will post about your trip and the overall experience. It's a long way off but I love the planning!

• 2 weeks later...
Just booked a Clipper cruise in Bali next year. My first Star clipper cruise was on the Flyer out of Phuket years ago followed by the Royal in the med and the the Star in the Caribbean. So now it's onto Indonesia...very excited. The flights will probably kill me, but what a way to go:D

Any one else considering this new itinerary?

Later this morning I too hope to confirm an East bound trip on Star Clipper. My UK agent is awaiting confirmation of a particular cabin and the deal will be done.

I chose the East Bound in order to get onto Komodo.

Since you are on the other side of the pond you are already oh so much closer :D. I have been searching the web for flight schedules with the least impact ( time and number of stops. My starting point is Tampa Florida....

Well by dumb luck I found the best route is to go east, not west via Los Angeles. I can fly to New York, then board Qatar airways to Doha, then. Straight flight to Benoa. Each stop is only about 2 hours.....to go west would include 4 stops:eek:

So check your possible routes for the shortest flights and then sweet talk your mate into going. This trip is perfect, other cruises to this area include many sea days either from Australia or Singapore....so start searching!

I have two Qatar flights in the pipeline but hadn't considered booking with them to get to Bali.

I am hoping to combine the Star Clipper cruise with another Asian cruise and need to break either the return journey in Singapore so I guess on this occasion it will be back to Singapore Airlines.

Last night I watched a television program on Komodo dragons and the islands they inhabit.......fantastic! Sailing on a small ship will be so much better in my opinion than to arrive in these islands with a thousand plus passengers. Just waiting to book my Qatar flight...you tube makes this airline business class look superb. Sailing in Sept next year for my birthday will make it a very special moment for me....come to think of it I spent a birthday on the Royal Clipper in the Med......guess I will consider a Sept sailing on the Flying Clipper in Sept 2018....a new routine😈

• 6 months later...

I just booked the Bali eastbound trip for July! We haven't been on the Star Clipper before, but we love the Windstar in Tahiti so I figured this would be awesome. Plus, I found a 20 hour flight with only a one hour layover. Komodo dragons, here we come!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Last night I watched a television program on Komodo dragons and the islands they inhabit.......fantastic! Sailing on a small ship will be so much better in my opinion than to arrive in these islands with a thousand plus passengers. Just waiting to book my Qatar flight...you tube makes this airline business class look superb. Sailing in Sept next year for my birthday will make it a very special moment for me....come to think of it I spent a birthday on the Royal Clipper in the Med......guess I will consider a Sept sailing on the Flying Clipper in Sept 2018....a new routine😈

Are you on the September 23, 2017 sailing in Indonesia???

• 2 months later...
I just booked 3 weeks, May 6 2-week Spring Crossing, Singapore to Bali, then a week May 20 Bali eastbound. Booked through a travel agent who gave me a nice cabin credit... which will help that single supplement some! Am searching for flights, from Austin, thinking the two hop - Aus - San Fran - Singapore - looks the best, nasty long flights but thinking business class might be required!! I know this will be all new itinerary for them and the first time so it might be a bit rocky, but I think May is better than Oct to avoid the rainy season. Anyone else on crossing or that first week in Bali?? G

We will be on that flight. Looking forward to it with a few days after in Bali.

I started this thread and then chose to cancel the trip. Instead I will rebook for a Sept 2019 eastern route to visit Komodo island. I called SC and asked if they would offer the Bali itinerary in 2019...they said yes. Not sure if I will do the 7 night or 10 night with a one or two night hotel pre cruise stay. I'll book as soon as they post the sailing dates. In the meantime I hope those of you going this year will write a review. In the meantime although I have a number of cruises booked....it's my trip to India in 2018 with Tauck Tours and business class air on Emirates that eats the budget. India took priority, so Bali must wait. I wish all a fabulous trip!

• 2 weeks later...

We returned from the Bali Eastbound tour yesterday:

Almost all of the passengers have been disapointed about the Komodo Dragon tour. It was free of charge (included for all passengers), but it is also almost worthless. You have the choice between 1 hour and 2 hour tour (complete with transfer from the ship, tender operated). All take the 2 hours tour, but this ís only a one hour walk round the ranger station in groups of 20 people. You will see 3 dragos, the first directly behind the ranger station and 2 additonal animals short time before the end of this "zoo" walk. The dargons are feeded by the rangers and are lazing around, only swinging the tail a bit. One of them moved a few feet. Even the deers there comming very close to the dragons, less than 10 feet, knowing that they are full of food. I took picturs with dragon and deer in one shoot. You can stand behind the dragon and the rangers will take a picture with you and the dragon. It look like a mixture of zoo and circus. At the end all of us stand very close to the dragons without hesitate. The rangers told us more about the plants than of the wildlife. You can also see wild boars.

At the briefing one day before, the cruise director recommends to wear long trousers and lond sleeves, at the end 90% allmost get an heat stroke due to the savanna temperatures on the island (I went there with short trousers and t-shirt, no problems with the plants and insects, it's a walk on a paved way.

There are a lot of people selling cheap stuff behind the entrance to the park, more or less made in China.

If you want to see the dragons in their natural environment, you should go to Komodo for 2 days and make the 18 km tour with a ranger.

The cruise itself was the best I ever did, and I did a lot of different holidays the last 49 years ;-)

Staff was complete friendly, all of them.

Guest 60 % German due to some offers in Germany for the Indonesian cruises and the long travel time for US East coast citizens. Some Italian, French, Australian and US.

Gilli Kondo: small island, wet landing, less shadow, you can walk aroud approx. 20 min., snorkeling better on the left side (allways looking from the sea), on the "main" right side some jellyfish and allmost all the swimmers there got some red marks on the skin. 2 hours there it's enough.

Komodo: see above

Pink beach: wet landing, nice beach with some shadow, recommendation: climb up the hill on the left side, marked by a tree: the nicest view on the cruise with the sawanna islands around and the Star Clipper right in the middle.

Satonda: wet landing, may dry landing depending on the tide. Short walk to the lake in the middle, recommend to walk onto the peak at the right side, allmost on the top there is a nice view onto the Star Clipper. On the right area of the beach (looks not nice there) a family of Monkeys in the trees and on the beach. Some residents from Sumbawa have there a small kiosk and a restaurant, which is mostly closed. They come with boat from Sumbawa only during the stop of the Star Clipper to earn some money.

Sonorkeling tour was offered with Tender boats, but they stopped the first tour and cancelled the two others due to thousands of jellyfish there.

Gilli Trawangan: dry landing in the crowd of hundereds of boats, ferries and excursion vessels. That Gilli is backpackers paradise, the main street is a row of bars, travel agencies and cheap hotels or hostel. You can make a roundtrip by horse buggy or bycicle. Leaving the main street will open a view to the real life and much more hostels / resorts.

Recommend to sit in on of the bars and look at the heavy traffic of backpackers, buggys, bikes and freaks.

Gilli Meno: Wet landing on a beach which is not realy nice, some snorkeling possible. But better stay more time at Trawangan and may miss Meno.

Gilli Nanggu: nice island with one resort. Nice beach with the best snorkeling spot, there is a "farm" for corals and million of fishes, cuttlefish, turtles and more to see. If this is your only snorkeling spot, it will be enough.

BBQ on the beach will be prepared by the crew. Nice but you have to eat without sitting, working with plastic knife and forks. Drinks are sold by the crew, as also on all beaches a crew member sells soft drinks, beer and water.

You do not need any cash on the whole tour beside Trawangan for some drinks or tourist stuff and Komodo if you want to buy a wooden dragon or other stuff. The drinks on the beaches are payed by signing the bill like on the ship.

On the beach you can do sailing (Laser), stand-up paddling, kayak, water sky or wake board, all for free. Only some guests used this possibilities.

Action on the Star Clipper: Mast climbing, a must do. Also lying in the sprit net during crusing, but without anything with you can falling down into the sea (mobile phone, key etc.). Every evening is startin at 10PM some life music, talent show, fashion show or equal.

Snorkeling equipment you will receive at the first day and will be returned on the last day, you can also take only the mask or only finns, depending which own equipment you have with you.

There is a small shop on the Star Clipper, selling nice shirts, trousers and bath clothings, having every day a 20% discount for certain products.

Cocktails are good, German standard as I can compare. Wine list is large, they store your bottle if you can not empty the first time. Water is free all day from a fountain at the deck, also served during the meals. Coffee and tea is also free 24 hours behind the bar.

Sunbeds are not enough for 170 people, specially shadow places are rare, depending on the number of sails set. At our cruise we had been 115 and sometimes also not enough sun beds, but you can find a lot of alternative places to sit or lay down, even the net in front.

During sail setting every evening, they play "conquest of paradise", but very quiet. Find a place near the speakers and it will be fine. You can take the wheel after starting for some minutes to keep the course, teached by the steersman. The bridge is small and can be visited 24 hours for information, looking on the map of the speed.

We booked cabine 506, nice access to the deck. Ship was well maintained, during the cruise they did always some work like painting, polishing etc.

Everything was clean.

Finally it was a great tour and we will book mediterean sea for next year.

• 3 weeks later...

We booked a resort in Ubud for 6 nights before entering the Star Clipper. Hotel, flights and transfer was independent booked by myself.

It was a private pool villa in the Puri Sebali Resort for 200 € per night. Transfer was approx 20 € from airport to Ubud and from Ubud to Benoa.

• 1 month later...

I'm concerned about motion sickness on this itinerary and on a small ship. How was the motion of the ocean?

Staff was complete friendly, all of them.

Guest 60 % German due to some offers in Germany for the Indonesian cruises and the long travel time for US East coast citizens. Some Italian, French, Australian and US.

Gilli Kondo: small island, wet landing, less shadow, you can walk aroud approx. 20 min., snorkeling better on the left side (allways looking from the sea), on the "main" right side some jellyfish and allmost all the swimmers there got some red marks on the skin. 2 hours there it's enough.

Komodo: see above

Pink beach: wet landing, nice beach with some shadow, recommendation: climb up the hill on the left side, marked by a tree: the nicest view on the cruise with the sawanna islands around and the Star Clipper right in the middle.

Satonda: wet landing, may dry landing depending on the tide. Short walk to the lake in the middle, recommend to walk onto the peak at the right side, allmost on the top there is a nice view onto the Star Clipper. On the right area of the beach (looks not nice there) a family of Monkeys in the trees and on the beach. Some residents from Sumbawa have there a small kiosk and a restaurant, which is mostly closed. They come with boat from Sumbawa only during the stop of the Star Clipper to earn some money.

Sonorkeling tour was offered with Tender boats, but they stopped the first tour and cancelled the two others due to thousands of jellyfish there.

Gilli Trawangan: dry landing in the crowd of hundereds of boats, ferries and excursion vessels. That Gilli is backpackers paradise, the main street is a row of bars, travel agencies and cheap hotels or hostel. You can make a roundtrip by horse buggy or bycicle. Leaving the main street will open a view to the real life and much more hostels / resorts.

Recommend to sit in on of the bars and look at the heavy traffic of backpackers, buggys, bikes and freaks.

Gilli Meno: Wet landing on a beach which is not realy nice, some snorkeling possible. But better stay more time at Trawangan and may miss Meno.

Gilli Nanggu: nice island with one resort. Nice beach with the best snorkeling spot, there is a "farm" for corals and million of fishes, cuttlefish, turtles and more to see. If this is your only snorkeling spot, it will be enough.

BBQ on the beach will be prepared by the crew. Nice but you have to eat without sitting, working with plastic knife and forks. Drinks are sold by the crew, as also on all beaches a crew member sells soft drinks, beer and water.

You do not need any cash on the whole tour beside Trawangan for some drinks or tourist stuff and Komodo if you want to buy a wooden dragon or other stuff. The drinks on the beaches are payed by signing the bill like on the ship.

On the beach you can do sailing (Laser), stand-up paddling, kayak, water sky or wake board, all for free. Only some guests used this possibilities.

Action on the Star Clipper: Mast climbing, a must do. Also lying in the sprit net during crusing, but without anything with you can falling down into the sea (mobile phone, key etc.). Every evening is startin at 10PM some life music, talent show, fashion show or equal.

Snorkeling equipment you will receive at the first day and will be returned on the last day, you can also take only the mask or only finns, depending which own equipment you have with you.

There is a small shop on the Star Clipper, selling nice shirts, trousers and bath clothings, having every day a 20% discount for certain products.

Cocktails are good, German standard as I can compare. Wine list is large, they store your bottle if you can not empty the first time. Water is free all day from a fountain at the deck, also served during the meals. Coffee and tea is also free 24 hours behind the bar.

Sunbeds are not enough for 170 people, specially shadow places are rare, depending on the number of sails set. At our cruise we had been 115 and sometimes also not enough sun beds, but you can find a lot of alternative places to sit or lay down, even the net in front.

During sail setting every evening, they play "conquest of paradise", but very quiet. Find a place near the speakers and it will be fine. You can take the wheel after starting for some minutes to keep the course, teached by the steersman. The bridge is small and can be visited 24 hours for information, looking on the map of the speed.

We booked cabine 506, nice access to the deck. Ship was well maintained, during the cruise they did always some work like painting, polishing etc.

Everything was clean.

Finally it was a great tour and we will book mediterean sea for next year.