Keeping your Camera secure while travelig

Hi All: I have a question about camera security. I will be traveling to Rome before our cruise in sept 2018. Any tips on keeping your camera secure. What type of Camera bag do you use. etc etc.

This may be a silly question i know. Your input is of value to me.

Hi All: I have a question about camera security. I will be traveling to Rome before our cruise in sept 2018. Any tips on keeping your camera secure. What type of Camera bag do you use. etc etc.

Rome is nearly as renown for its pickpockets as it is for its history. How you protect your camera depends a lot on what type of camera you are taking.

A wrist strap for a compact camera will foil a casual thief. A DSLR can be more complicated, especially if you are carrying a bag with extra equipment. PacSafe has a wide selection of steel cable reinforced straps and bags with cut-proof mesh. Wearing a larger camera on a cross-body strap makes it harder to cut and run and a cross-body sling bag carried under your arm is safer than a shoulder bag.

Regardless of what or how you carry, situational awareness is your best defense. Keep your eyes open. Be aware of teams where someone (often a pretty girl or a child) will ask you a seemingly innocuous question while team members relieve you of anything you're not paying attention to. Avoid close crowds and stick with your group if on a guided tour. If you insist on taking shortcuts through dark, narrow alleys while carrying expensive gear, no amount of advice will help you. ;)

Dave

Dave

I just came back from a 12-day Baltic Cruise. What I used were two Peak Design "Cuff" straps for a DSLR and a Sony HX90V.. The DSLR was carried on a PD "Capture" attached to one strap of my day pack up on my chest. The two days we were in St. Petersburg I only used the HX90V as I had heard that pickpockets were handy at removing lenses from DSLR cameras.

Now that I am back I intend to make two tether straps out of "para cord" (so they don't get dropped accidentally when clipping in/out) and get another PD "Capture" to use with the HX90V. I had been stuffing it into a pocket.

I just used a simple messenger bag and was just careful when around lots of people. (especially the gypsies around the Vatican. There were a couple old gypsy ladies who got into a fight. it was entertaining, but I did keep my hand on my bag just in case it was a set up to distract everyone and start pickpocketing the "spectators"). Main key is (like any city) keep an eye on everything, but not obsess over it.

I was looking into PacSafe as well. I really don't want to carry my backpack that has Nikon stitched to the main pocket but. I am going to need something that can hold both of my DSLRs and a couple of extra lenses.

Since I am not a fan of back pack bags I use a Think Tank Retro 50. It velcros shut so no one can just slip a hand in and it has a nice zippered compartment on the backside that rests against my body that can hold extra cash, passports, wallet etc. The bag easily holds my Canon 5D III and 3 lenses, one flash and anything DW needs to stick in like water bottles.... Being aware of your surroundings is very important. More than once I have had someone, a local looking type say "wow, that is a nice camera, can I look through it?". I answer with my feet and just move away.

I think the safest approach is to avoid groups. For example, we spent a few days in Florence last fall. Saw several cruise-ship tour groups. As is typical of such groups anyplace, the guide stops, talks for a few minutes about the magnificent cathedral they are about to enter. Every single person, all 40 in the group, face inward toward the guide in the center. So that leaves 10-15 on the periphery, their backs to the passing thieves. In short, DIY, don't get into a large group tour. If you do go that route, be very aware and try not to be one of those on the vulnerable outside edge.

Stan

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In addition to a PacSafe Bag I replaced the regular strap with a slash proof strap. I also use a smaller bag and do not carry all my "stuff". When the camera is in the bag I wear it cross body and under my arm.

I just came across this article about photographers being killed for their gear. In the U.S. But if this becomes the new normal , then my suggestion above about avoiding groups would probably not be the best.

https://petapixel.com/2017/07/19/photographer-killed-sfs-twin-peaks-camera-robbery/

Stan

That must be fake news. I live in The People's Republic of California and we have very strict gun control and San Francisco has to be safe since it is a Sanctuary City! Sanctuaries are safe, right? Our Legislative Shepards are even trying to pass a bill to outlaw cameras because, well....people shoot with them!

Yeah...I'm kidding. It is really starting to suck here.

Dave