Overnight in Valletta

Georgiagirl1204

Valletta is a superb stop. The old city is just a bit away from the port, an easy walk. Any tour that reviews the history of Malta, especially the Great Siege, is worthwhile.

If you taxi over to the opposite side of the harbor there are little gondola boats that will take you on a nice harbor tour.

If all else fails, take a taxi up to Mdina, in the center of the island -- truly charming place.

I love Malta!

In Valletta don't miss the Upper Barrakka Gardens. The elevator should be very close to where the ship docks. The co-Cathedral is a lesson in how to decorate every conceivable surface. If possible try and see the two Caravaggio paintings. Also near where the ship should dock is the three-city ferry which is a very cheap way of getting a harbor tour and can drop you off in Birgu which has a lot of the history/architecture from the period of the Knights.

Other things on the island that we did were

- Mdina

- St. Paul's Catacombs in Rabat

- Tarxian Temples

- Ta Qali Craft Village (and Mdina glass factory)

- San Anton Gardens

- Dingli Cliffs

- Mosta Church

Wonderful country with a lot to see. You could also have dinner off the ship. We had a great meal at DeMondion in Mdina with views of distant Valletta.

We just left Valletta so I can comment on what we did. After watching the sail in from the observation deck, we dined in the Colonnade the took off to check out Valletta. The ship was docked 500m to the left of the lift which takes you up to Barrakka Garden, beautiful at dusk. Walked around Valletta for an hour the came back to the ship for the show on the deck.

I had booked Prestige Cabs for a tour they called Medieval Malta (€108 for 4 hrs good value IMO) and met the driver Guido just outside the dock. He took us to Mosta Dome, Mdina, Dingli Cliffs and Blue Grotto. It was fabulous. Others we spoke to after had used the open topped bus and said it was not very good, unbearably hot.

A great port of call. As has been said already the outdoor lift (elevator) gets you to where the action is. Come off the ship, through the terminal then turn right so the water is on your right hand side. The lift is a few hundred yards down on your left hand side.

We used the lift to descend back to the ship and there was no charge. I think the charge is made on the way up, a couple of Euros.

For something totally different I can highly recommend Malta Segway. Your tour starts with a 3D presentation about Malta in a small cinema then it's out into the city on your Segway. Our guide was friendly and we covered a huge amount of ground effortlessly. Not overly expensive at around 70 Euros from memory.

http://maltasegwaytours.com/valletta-tour/

Henry :)

When you come back down in the Barrakka lift you can cross the road and pick up the public ferry for a lovely - and cheap- 5 minute trip across the Grand Harbour to Birgu where they have an interesting town centre (the original, before the move to Valletta) and lovely waterfront. Just watch the timetable though as the return ferries stop fairly early. Just a little on past the Barrakka lift and through the little tunnel is a lovely restaurant by the harbour below Victoria Gate called the Harbour club. Great for a drink or a meal - but for the latter its 'must book' as is not large - and very popular. Immediately above the Victoria Gate just up the steps, is the Bridge Bar. Great outdoor jazz every Friday from 8.30 but often Saturdays as well in the summer. Valletta is lovely just for wandering, especially at night time. Another very nice - and reasonable eatery with a fantastic harbour view is in the Panorama Restaurant in the British Hotel - come out of the Upper Barrakka, take first right, go down the long street of steps (St Ursula's steps) and its towards the bottom. (almost next to the Bridge Bar) Again, must book, especially if you want to sit on the little balcony.

For those who don't want to walk in this heat there is a little tourist train from just outside St John's Cathedral which will take you all around Valletta. Out of Valletta, I would say don't miss Mdina, the 14th Century walled city and former capitol. Finally - please consider carefully before taking a horse and carriage in the August heat. Many do not get water all day because the drivers fear complaints when the horses need to relieve themselves in the street. There are no regulations at all to make sure they are properly treated.

I have to say that I while I often get "over cathedraled" in Europe the one is Valletta is one of the most ingesting ones I have ever visited. A few years ago we went in planning on spending a half hour and instead stayed for two hours.There is also a lovely square adjacent the cathedral with a few open air restaurants. It is the perfect place for a drink or leisurely lunch.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good advice from everyone. I definitely recommend the elevator up to the top, as the walk can be a bit strenuous. There are also horse-drawn buggy rides back down but they're a bit pricey. Fun, but pricey. Also, the Saluting Battery does a daily cannon shoot (I believe it's at 4:00 PM) that's nice.

If you're going to venture out, the Ta' Qali Craft Village in Mdina is a nice way to pass a few hours, and just north of there is the village of Mosta where they have a church that survived a bomb falling through it's dome in WW II - the bomb didn't detonate, obviously, and they have a replica of it in the church. Kind of cool.

FWIW, when we were there last year we took a tour (on another cruise line) that was guided by quite possibly the worst tour guide we've ever had on any cruise anywhere. He was so bad it was comical. We spent most of the day with him before the bulk of the group staged a mutiny and we all took off on our own...at that point we decided that we didn't really like Malta all that much. But we struck off into Valletta on our own later and spent a few hours in the old town and we realized that we had formed our opinion based on our guide, not the island. At the end of the day we both decided that this was one of the jewels of our trip, a truly beautiful destination with amazing sights, friendly people, and great food. We'd go back in a heartbeat!

I had booked Prestige Cabs for a tour they called Medieval Malta (€108 for 4 hrs good value IMO) and met the driver Guido just outside the dock. He took us to Mosta Dome, Mdina, Dingli Cliffs and Blue Grotto. It was fabulous.

Wonderful suggestion, thanks. We've just booked the same tour.:D