Last minute planning with 13 year old

shanley

I am considering booking an NCL cruise to Bermuda that is just two weeks away. I'm a planner so this is crazy for me!

I'm trying to do my research but there is a lot to take in.

What is walking distance from the Royal Naval Dockyard?

Once we are out for the day, should we plan to be out for lunch too? Some ports are more conducive to returning for lunch, while others not at all.

My daughter is 13 and not a huge beach fan, so I expect we'll only do one half day of beach. Anything you'd recommend for that age?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What is walking distance from the Royal Naval Dockyard to where? Hamilton, about a 20 minute ferry ride; St George's, about 45 minute ferry ride; Horseshoe Bay Beach, about 30 minute bus ride....

For lunch, if you are walking distance from the cruise ship, return to it for lunch; otherwise, eat locally.

I have no idea what interests a 13 yo girl. So there is a 'to do' list here. Print it, and you and she go over it together. You minght get lucky and she selects a few.

There is a map of the Dockyard and Bermuda in this post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=53702666&postcount=5

SBtS

I am a planner too, but someday, I hope to plan something spontaneous and surprise my kids! At any rate, I was just in Bermuda (NCL cruise) with a 13 and a 16-year old. Here are some ideas: take the Hidden Gems Tour (offered through the cruise ship or you can book directly through the company). 7 hour tour includes: drive cave exploration, wet cave swimming, cliff jumping (from low heights--very safe) into a beautiful swimming hole, snorkeling, lunch, and ice cream. You get an overview/history of the island as you travel 50 minutes across the island by mini-bus to the first stop. Expensive, but worth it! Another idea: parasailing with KS Watersports. So much fun and gorgeous aerial views of the island. I was scared, but it was surprisingly gentle. If you want to stay on land: take the #7 bus or a cab to Gibb's Hill Lighthouse (one of--if not the oldest and highest--cast-iron lighthouses in the western hempisphere). You can climb the 185 steps to the outdoor observation deck for spectacular panoramic views of the island. Does you daughter like scenic beach views and walks (if not swimming)? If so, I would do the walk between Warwick Longbay Beach and Horseshoe Bay. You can take a beach shuttle, and it will drop you off at Warwick (ours was willing to do this--some say they will only drop at Horseshoe). You can then make the 1 mile scenic walk between the beaches, stopping for photos and to admire the views of the various beaches and coves you pass on the way. There will be mini-buses waiting at Horseshoe to bring you back to the Dockyard for $7/person. Other ideas (that I didn't get to try because of lack of time) would be taking the free NCL ferry (right at the Dockyard) to historic St. George. You can take a walking tour of the town, have lunch, and either return right away by ferry or take a bus into Hamilton to see the sites there. If you like forts/military history, there is a fort within walking distance of St. George (a long walk, I believe) called Fort St. Catherine. You can stop and visit the Unfinished Church (I wish we had had time to stop and photograph this!) on the way. Another idea recommended by many on these boards is doing Hartleys Underseas Walk--a very unusual underwater experience called a helmet dive that gets you up close and personal with marine life. Safe and no experience needed. Then, there's the Dockyard--had no time to explore there, either, but if I did, I would have certainly checked out the Glassworks studio and some of the galleries. There's also mini golf ((with nice sunset views) right there. Hope these ideas help. Have fun!